ASD vs LRFD for Steel

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEngineer06

Reaction score
I know ASD from school and experience when it comes to steel design. Does NCEES require people to know LRDF for steel too? I read somewhere on NCEES that questions can be answered on both ASD and LRFD since the induciton of the 13th edition. Please provide your experience.

My guess is this question is really about using the 9th manual vs the 13th manual. You will need the 13th manual, and Allowable Strength Design (not Allowable Stress Design) and LRFD are calculated exactly the same aside from load combinations and safety factors.

I dont recall steel design being on the construction exam, I had no steel reference and did not feel the need for them. But each test is different.

I didn't see "steel design" listed on the NCEES outline for the construction exam, but I may have missed it. Although "steel design" is listed as a subject on the morning exam, I don't think any questions will require using the steel manual. My reasoning: If the steel manual is needed for the morning exam, it would be a required reference for all of the disciplines.

Back