Armature Winding - Parallel paths ?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phatso86

Noob
Reaction score
hello everyone
I am working out problems for PE exam. I kept coming across the term parallel paths for armature winding. This information wasn't address very well (if at all) in the Camara reference book. Can someone explain to me what this is?
The review book that mentions it simply states:
- wave wound winding --> two parallel paths
- lap wound winding -- >> four parallel paths
I googled this and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the number of paths.  Also, is there another type of winding that could come up?

hello everyone
I am working out problems for PE exam. I kept coming across the term parallel paths for armature winding. This information wasn't address very well (if at all) in the Camara reference book. Can someone explain to me what this is?
The review book that mentions it simply states:
- wave wound winding --> two parallel paths
- lap wound winding -- >> four parallel paths
I googled this and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the number of paths.  Also, is there another type of winding that could come up?
In DC generators we have two wires (+ve and -tive). If all the winding loops are pre connected in series and only two wires come out with the help of two brushes it is wave wound. It will always have two parallel paths in windings. In lap winding the different sets of windings are brought out at bruches which are again connected to two wires. This makes number of parallel paths equal to no. of brushes

Back