Are you sure that was on the plans?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like, "Are you sure they weren't signed? Could you check again?" I mean, I pretty much can tell when there is no signature and date over a seal.

Me: Why doesn't this product match the requirements of the applicable specs?Contractor: There are specs on this project?
Working on a big project where this has become the recurring theme, despite the fact I have personally given them several copies...

Contractor: your inspector watched me do it and said nothing

Me: then he didn't tell you to do it wrong

1. The asphalt truck showed up an hour early, we had to put it down before your inspector showed up or we'd lose the batch.

2. Here's the one I always liked hearing this time of year, when earthwork season starts to wind down in the Northeast..."Don't worry...we'll dress that up when we come back in the spring."

"What do you mean you can't weld it?"

"It's Chinese/Japanese, and has no UNS number or ASTM spec or any equivalent. We can't weld it by code."

"But it's practically the same thing!"

Me: You guys might wanna button up your silt fence and check your erosion controls before that storm hits. The DEC isn't gonna be happy if you have pea soup running off your site.

Contractor: Oh, well it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so we won't be on site. We'll look into it once its dry enough to get our equipment back there.

"That's not what the modified curb pay item was on the other project"

- this after half a business subdivision had been curb machined to a back of curb elev for a curb w/ a radically diff flowline elev, completely making the gravel CL grade undermet

Last edited by a moderator:
"Honestly, I have no idea what that spec says. It's trickled down over the years, and we never really paid attention to it."

Back