April 08 Cal Seismic reference's

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sequoiadogg

I am getting my references together for the April '08 Seismic exam and could use some input...

1. On the www.dca.ca.gov website several references are listed...which ones are really necessary?

2. The www.dca.ca.gov website says that Vol 2 '06 IBC may be used in lieu of Vol 2 '07 CBC. What about Vol 1 '06 IBC vs. Vol 1 '07 CBC? If I have Vol 2 '06 IBC do I still need to get Vol 1 '07 CBC?

3. Will I be lost without ASCE 7-05, or can I get by without it?

Thanks, these questions might be hard to answer since April '08 will be the first time the exam is based on '06 IBC/'07 CBC. Too bad their isn't a review book out for the "new" exam.

I've done a little research.

From what I can tell, the 2006 International Building Code is only one book...it isn't broken down into volume 1 and volume 2.

I don't understand why the CBPELS website say's

"if you currently have Volume 2 of the 2006 International Building Code (IBC), you may use that in lieu of purchasing Volume 2 of the 2007 CBC..."

if there is only one volume to the 2006 IBC. I know there are two Volumes to the CBC.

Does anyone have any input?

Also,

The CBPELS websites reference list includes:

1. 2006 IBC Structural/Seismic Design Manual, Volume 1

2. 2006 IBC Structural/Seismic Design Manual, Volume 2

I think these are seperate from the 2006 IBC, and aren't really necessary for the exam (except for being additional study material).

Any other thoughts on this?

IBC-2006 or CBC2007:

You can take either one. What I got my hands on is just one book. You only need the Seismic chapter which is a couple of pages!

As for ASCE 7-05, I think this one is more important than having IBC-2006. Because if you read through it, it refers you to ASCE all the time.

Back