Anyone bought a cordless lawn mower?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Well our current 22" push mower dates back to spring of 1998. It has started running poorly already this summer (after just being tuned last year) and I was going to take it to the shop, when my wife floated the idea of just getting a new one. I think she has a point, but am hesitant because, up until this summer it has been a good mower.

But I think she's right, why put 50 bucks or more into something that old that didn't cost much more to begin with.

So I'm thinking about one of these, a Black & Decker CM1936 cordless mower ( http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-CM1936-...965&sr=8-1). Yeah, it is kinda pricey, but I like the idea of not having to futz around with the gas, and I like the idea of it being quieter.

Has anyone used one of these or have any thoughts?

How big of a yard do you have? I don't have experience with push mowers, but I've got a cordless trimmer and I will never go back to gas. It's nice not having to worry about keeping gas stored in the shed. My biggest concern is if it would last long enough to finish the job and how long until the battery starts losing it's capacity. Let us know if you do end up buying it.

I had a cordless trimmer...the batteries never lasted long enough to finish the job.

Switched it out for gas and never looked back.

I did like the cordless for when it was actually trimming, but didn't like that it would leave the job half done.

How well will that cordless mower cut through thicker grass?

For durable goods like lawn mowers, I just bite the bullet shell out for the latest Consumer Reports, buy what they tell me and forget about it.

It has served me pretty well.

How big of a yard do you have? I don't have experience with push mowers, but I've got a cordless trimmer and I will never go back to gas.
Property is .28acre with 1400ft^2 of house on it. We did just get a cordless trimmer.

I had a cordless trimmer...the batteries never lasted long enough to finish the job.
We've run into this. I don't know what gives, maybe because it is cutting thick stuff or monkeygrass, but it rarely lasts 15 minutes. Then again it charges in an hour, so if you have other things to do.

Nicer than dragging the cord out.

For durable goods like lawn mowers, I just bite the bullet shell out for the latest Consumer Reports, buy what they tell me and forget about it.
It has served me pretty well.
IIRC CR rated it number one, but I'd have to look again to be sure.

My gas mower and trimmer are both cordless. I like them just fine :D

I guess my real motto is "sit back, drink beer".
I don't think I'm naturally lazy, I'm just given really good opportunities to be that way.
Ah, but with the Turf-Tiger you can sit and enjoy a beer while destroying the habitat of every woodland critter in a 5 mile radius. :p

Why not something cordless and without a carbon footprint (other than the production process and you own fuel): Reel Mowers and Fiskars from the Big Box
I did look into a cheaper version of those, but was told I'd flat out kill myself with it on a yard even my size. If I had one of those small in town lots with <1500 ft^2, I'd probably get one.

Why not something cordless and without a carbon footprint (other than the production process and you own fuel): Reel Mowers and Fiskars from the Big Box
I did look into a cheaper version of those, but was told I'd flat out kill myself with it on a yard even my size. If I had one of those small in town lots with <1500 ft^2, I'd probably get one.
After reading tha Amazon reviews, that Fiskars actually looks like it might work in the yard!

Last edited by a moderator:
Of couse after this thread is posted and I cut grass last night my mower decided to take a dump on me

Buy the fiskar and let me know, I'd like to have something with less 'parts'

Back