Any TRICK problems on exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To answer your original question, yes, there are tricky questions on the test.

They need to know that you will not fall for the trap questions and understand the question at hand.

To answer your original question, yes, there are tricky questions on the test.

They need to know that you will not fall for the trap questions and understand the question at hand.
well I hope they have some details. Unlike some practice problems, especially the one I posted, there is ZERO to go by. Gets pretty stressful thinking that I could fail a test due to lack of detail or making the wrong assumption

sigh... :(

There are assumptions made all over the test. That is what the 4 years of work experience after 4 years of education are supposed to teach you.

The two examples you gave would be obvious to an electrical engineer. The first describes a sign wave. The second is a motor rating. With the proper education and experience to qualify for the electrical PE. An engineer would know motor ratings are in rms and the relationship between a sign wave and peak to peak or rms values. You can do this, but you will have to study more.

v

There are assumptions made all over the test. That is what the 4 years of work experience after 4 years of education are supposed to teach you.
I like how you fail to address or acknowledge that the SAMPLE problems (emphasis on sample, meaning it's not a real world scenario) make assumptions as to whether it is RMS or Peak. Must I point out that identical problems still have different assumptions?

perhaps it is not obvious to you that work experience is not equivalent to sample problems

The two examples you gave would be obvious to an electrical engineer. The first describes a sign wave. The second is a motor rating. With the proper education and experience to qualify for the electrical PE. An engineer would know motor ratings are in rms and the relationship between a sign wave and peak to peak or rms values. You can do this, but you will have to study more.
i have already mentioned that some problems give me an RMS sine wave function. Must I post a problem so this incorrect explanation isn't brought up again?

"With the proper education and experience to qualify for the electrical PE."

this is also incorrect, btw. you simply need ANY engineering degree and ANY engineering experience. At least in my state.

"An engineer would know ... the relationship between a sign wave and peak to peak or rms values."

this is a math issue, not an engineering one. I suppose this wasn't obvious.

Someone is talking a lot of smack for being a structural engineer asking BASIC electrical questions.

Ok, so try this one on for size: it is assumed to be rms unless otherwise noted, unless it isn't.

Sorry, I meant an electrical engineer would know those things. I am not trying to give you flack only to express that with patience you can learn those things as well.

Someone is talking a lot of smack for being a structural engineer asking BASIC electrical questions.

Ok, so try this one on for size: it is assumed to be rms unless otherwise noted, unless it isn't.
I said it before, the OP seems to be more interested in arguing than getting help...glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this. 

Back