Any thoughts on home HVACs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Our AC unit is now 21 years old, so I guess it may be time to start looking at a replacement soon. Any thoughts on brand and models to consider? Really at the looking phase right now. House is about 1200 ft^2.

Our AC unit is now 21 years old, so I guess it may be time to start looking at a replacement soon. Any thoughts on brand and models to consider? Really at the looking phase right now. House is about 1200 ft^2.
I hear 20-lb bags of ice placed on top of the unit are all the rage now.

How the hell did you get an AC unit to last 21 years? I just had my 10 year old unit repaired this morning.

How the hell did you get an AC unit to last 21 years? I just had my 10 year old unit repaired this morning.
The one at my parents' house was installed in 1964. According to their repairman, the secret is close proximity to a transformer, which keeps the electricity flowing nice and smooth. We have a transformer right outside, too, so maybe it'll last much longer.

But, long term prospects of servicing it look dim due to the R-22 phaeout.

It's a RUUD, so I guess that speaks well for that brand, at least the way it was 21 years ago.

I hear 20-lb bags of ice placed on top of the unit are all the rage now.
:eek:ldman:

Last edited by a moderator:
Heat pump, or straight AC?

We always had pretty good success with Rheem/Ruud. We're doing okay with American Standard now also (same as Trane, slightly cheaper for us). I've got a personal issue with Lennox, but that is because we've seen a LOT of problems with Lennox equipment.

Every manufacturer can have a bad run of equipment. Also, most manufacturers use the same components (compressors, control boards, even coils). There isn't a single manufacturer that I haven't seen a royal screwup in a product line from.

That being said, it is MUCH MUCH more imporant to select based on a quality contractor. Find a contractor that will give solid references, and find one you feel as though you can trust. A great quality unit isn't much if it isn't installed correctly.

Also, at 21 years old, you can pretty much bet on replacing the duct system also. Contractors are more aware of proper sizing for efficiency/capacity now than they were in the "8 inch in the living room, 8" in the master, 7" in the spare bedrooms and kitchen, and 6" in the bathroom" days.

Heat pump, or straight AC?
Straight AC.

We always had pretty good success with Rheem/Ruud. We're doing okay with American Standard now also (same as Trane, slightly cheaper for us). I've got a personal issue with Lennox, but that is because we've seen a LOT of problems with Lennox equipment.
Really? What's up with Lennox? Didn't they used to be pretty good?

That being said, it is MUCH MUCH more imporant to select based on a quality contractor. Find a contractor that will give solid references, and find one you feel as though you can trust. A great quality unit isn't much if it isn't installed correctly.
Luckily we have a contractor we've been really happy with.

Also, at 21 years old, you can pretty much bet on replacing the duct system also. Contractors are more aware of proper sizing for efficiency/capacity now than they were in the "8 inch in the living room, 8" in the master, 7" in the spare bedrooms and kitchen, and 6" in the bathroom" days.
The odd thing about that is every time we ask about that, the ductwork gets compliments. :dunno:

Thanks!

If you're happy with your contractor, then your brands are probably significantly narrowed at this point. My father was a contractor, and my brother has taken over the business now. If you have one that will give you service you're happy with and in the time frame you want, then I'd stick with him.

Not saying you're this way, but you'd be surprised the number of people that will get their air conditioner serviced on the 4th of July, and then will go with another contractor when it's time to replace to save $100.

I'm glad you have a good duct system. It's not a new science, but it's the exception rather than the norm to have an undersized system. Good for you, that will save probably a couple of grand.

My dad didn't like Lennox, and it's stuck in my head since. We replaced a lot of Lennox furnaces due to cracked heat exchangers after 3-4 years of service. Lennox manufactures their own coils, and in our experience they're prone to leaks also. Personally, I probably replaced a dozen or so cracked Lennox heat exchangers, and repaired/replaced over 50 Lennox air conditioners for coil leaks. When you consider that we've never installed Lennox, and this represented close to 80% of my Lennox sample size in the course of 4 summers, it's a lot.

Goodman is a "lower tier" system, but for straight AC may be a good choice. They're probably $800-$1000 cheaper than the top brands, have an excellent warranty (that you'll probably need :rolleyes: ), and the only consistent problems we've seen with them are with the heat pumps. I guess a reversing valve just screws up their whole package. We've had pretty good success with their straight air systems though, and as I said, the warranty can't be beat.

If you're happy with your contractor, then your brands are probably significantly narrowed at this point.
Yeah, they're a Lennox dealer, but he said they could get anything I wanted. Recommended another Ruud or a Trane. I like Trane (got a scholarship from them 25 years ago), but since the Ruud we have worked so well, I'm going to look at them, too.

Not saying you're this way, but you'd be surprised the number of people that will get their air conditioner serviced on the 4th of July, and then will go with another contractor when it's time to replace to save $100.
Oh, i wouldn't be surprised at all. back when I taught drafting at a tech school, the AC instructor and I had frequent conversations about the business. We talked about building a quality unit that would last 40 years, like my parents' unit had at that point. He said it was absolutely doable to design and build such a unit, but noone would buy it because it would cost a couple of hundred dollars more. He said he'd seen contracts with builders lost over 25 cents per unit.

I'm glad you have a good duct system. It's not a new science, but it's the exception rather than the norm to have an undersized system. Good for you, that will save probably a couple of grand.
I'm still wondering about the ducts. They're probably 50 years old and can't be that well sized or insulated. You can tell it is very well put together, though.

My dad didn't like Lennox, and it's stuck in my head since. We replaced a lot of Lennox furnaces due to cracked heat exchangers after 3-4 years of service. Lennox manufactures their own coils, and in our experience they're prone to leaks also. Personally, I probably replaced a dozen or so cracked Lennox heat exchangers, and repaired/replaced over 50 Lennox air conditioners for coil leaks. When you consider that we've never installed Lennox, and this represented close to 80% of my Lennox sample size in the course of 4 summers, it's a lot.
Yeah...that sounds like an endemic problem.

Goodman is a "lower tier" system, but for straight AC may be a good choice. They're probably $800-$1000 cheaper than the top brands, have an excellent warranty (that you'll probably need :rolleyes: ), and the only consistent problems we've seen with them are with the heat pumps. I guess a reversing valve just screws up their whole package. We've had pretty good success with their straight air systems though, and as I said, the warranty can't be beat.
Weirdly enough, Goodman was one of the ones he said avoid, but he may be thinking of heat pumps. He also said avoid Enviro-king and Nordic something or other.

Thanks for the advice!

Back