Anti-Fracking Based on Bad Science

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's like anything else overrun with emotional people. You cannot combat emotional decisions with logical arguments. You. Will. Never. Win.

Yet data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration show that the shale gas boom is helping to turn many large power plants away from coal, which emits far more pollution.
Some environmental groups now say that natural gas is having a positive effect on air quality.

Earlier this year, the group PennFuture said gas is a much cleaner burning fuel, and it called gas-fired power plants “orders of magnitude cleaner” than coal plants.
This is absolutely correct and happening right now.

Keep in mind the only other fuel sources with the potency to replace coal are natural gas and nuclear, so choose your poison. Cheap NG has some positive unintended consequences as coal is being regulated to extinction. Yet these same kooks protest whatever it is:

BANANAs - Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody (with a tip of the hat to Dr. Schweitzer for the term).

...OWAGFC! - Or We'll All Get F&^$# Cancer! (which, oh, by the way, is 90% treatable these days thanks to advances in technology brought about in part by inexpensive electricity that allows researches to spend more money on research and less on facility lighting).

So using my logic, without coal, nukes, and fracking, MORE people die of cancer. MURDEROUS HIPPIES!

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently heard a "scientific" debate about this issue. Something seemed off and upon investigation the debaters were all lawyers. Not a single one had a scientific education or training so I shut it off.

Here where I live some bumpkins believe fracking leads to earthquakes.

Latest posts

Back