American Dining in the 20th Century

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
I was in a conversation where we were talking about power failures or something when I was asked, "Well, what exactly did people eat before refrigeration?" Honestly, I had a vague idea, but nothing specific, and decided to Google. As a result, I found this heavily linked article that covered the entire 20th century.

http://www.foodtimel...ooddecades.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently was thinking about how the World War efforts included rationing of some type at home. We've been at war for awhile now, but I don't see anyone having to ration food (because it doesn't seem necessary). Weird to think about...would our relatives of that day be shocked at how we are seemingly unaffected as a country during a war effort?

We're not "giving" in the ways of staples and tin cans. We're giving in the way of dollas dollas!

I recently was thinking about how the World War efforts included rationing of some type at home. We've been at war for awhile now, but I don't see anyone having to ration food (because it doesn't seem necessary). Weird to think about...would our relatives of that day be shocked at how we are seemingly unaffected as a country during a war effort?
Ag engineering advancements and bio-engineering efforts have raised the yield per acre multiple times. And, there aren't nearly as many personnel in the field. Additionally, farm boys aren't leaving the farm in droves for the war effort.

Apples and oranges, really.

That's his brother... the Snake!
Ride the snake!

weight-loss-drugs-crystal-meth-ride-the-snake-jim-carrey-jar-demotivational-poster-1235768267.jpg

Thread derailed.

Back