After FE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the best way to find a job to prepare for PE?
First, make a resume. Target it to your field.

Second, apply by mailing/hand-delivering the resume to as many places in that field as possible, as well as tangentially related fields that are involved in the design process. For example, if you want to do structural work, apply to civil engineering companies as well as structural ones. If mechanical, give the resume to large manufacturers - they might have in-house engineering staff.

Make contacts with people in the industry in the area you want to work, if possible. One of them might pass your resume along to someone that they know needs help.

Most of all, be professional. I'm kind of a gatekeeper for resumes here at my office - I don't look at all of them, but I'd say that a good 70% of applicants go over my desk at some point. I've either thrown out or rejected with comments a number of resumes - I even pointed out to one poor recent grad that his stack of professionally printed, beautifully done resumes had a spelling error. If the resume doesn't look reasonably professional, I wouldn't look twice at it.

What's the best way to find a job to prepare for PE?
First, make a resume. Target it to your field.

Second, apply by mailing/hand-delivering the resume to as many places in that field as possible, as well as tangentially related fields that are involved in the design process. For example, if you want to do structural work, apply to civil engineering companies as well as structural ones. If mechanical, give the resume to large manufacturers - they might have in-house engineering staff.

Make contacts with people in the industry in the area you want to work, if possible. One of them might pass your resume along to someone that they know needs help.

Most of all, be professional. I'm kind of a gatekeeper for resumes here at my office - I don't look at all of them, but I'd say that a good 70% of applicants go over my desk at some point. I've either thrown out or rejected with comments a number of resumes - I even pointed out to one poor recent grad that his stack of professionally printed, beautifully done resumes had a spelling error. If the resume doesn't look reasonably professional, I wouldn't look twice at it.
Thanks and wish me luck

Back