Advertising for nonprofits?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supe

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what the tax rules are as it pertains to donating advertising materials for non-profits (501(3)© charity)? I'd like to go ahead and have some vinyl lettering and window banners made for the racecar to advertise for a non-profit with their approval, and was wondering if any of those costs would be reimbursable as a deduction for next year as a charitable donation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you can use the receipts for the materials as evidence of a charitable contribution. I know I've deducted items I've purchased for our church in the past.

Supe, If I recall from the last time my wife had her own business but you should be able to deduct the amount of advertising your normally would have collected in lui of the non profit advertising, you may have to use the lowest advertising rate that you have received compensation for & of course obvioulsy the materials / lettering..

Send me your address and I will send you the eb.com decal if you put it on the car and take a pic of it (It will peel off easily ;) )

Supe, If I recall from the last time my wife had her own business but you should be able to deduct the amount of advertising your normally would have collected in lui of the non profit advertising, you may have to use the lowest advertising rate that you have received compensation for & of course obvioulsy the materials / lettering..

Send me your address and I will send you the eb.com decal if you put it on the car and take a pic of it (It will peel off easily ;) )

Thanks. Since I'm not operating under a business/entity, I'd be looking at writing off only the materials cost. I'm not sure how the rules would be different for an individual writing it off as a charitable contribution as opposed to a business.

Back