AC Resistance & Reactance of SINGLE conductor? (NEC)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrytoad

Reaction score
NEC TABLE 9: Alternating-Current Resistance and Reactance for 600-Volt Cables, 3-Phase, 60 Hz, 75 C - Three Single Conductors in Conduit

Stupid Question: What about AC SINGLE-PHASE (Single) Conductors?

Is there a table?

Thanks!

I think that you would use NEC table 9 for 1, 2, or three conductors. All of the sample problems that I have seen use this table.

So Table 9 gives R and X for 3-phase.

And Table 9 gives R and X for 1-phase, but you multiply by 2 because of the return path (Correct?).

Seems odd that 3 phases would have the same impedance.

Is this because we're only using the impedance in per-phase calculations?

(same as how current only refers to a single-phase; i.e., we don't add up total current of 3 phases)

So Table 9 gives R and X for 3-phase.

And Table 9 gives R and X for 1-phase, but you multiply by 2 because of the return path (Correct?).

Seems odd that 3 phases would have the same impedance.

Is this because we're only using the impedance in per-phase calculations?

(same as how current only refers to a single-phase; i.e., we don't add up total current of 3 phases)
Correct. The table is for 3 phase circuits, but the values are given per conductor. So you can use them on single phase circuits. You just need to account for the return path, like you said.

Multiply by 2 for return path if is single phase is what my understanding so far

Back