30 Things Turning 30 This Year

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cost Of Living 1983

How Much things cost in 1983

Yearly Inflation Rate USA 3.22%

Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 1258

Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve 11.00%

Average Cost of new house $82,600

Median Price Of and Existing Home $70,300

Average Income per year $21,070.00

Average Monthly Rent $335.00

Dodge RAM 50 Truck $5665.00

Technology
  • ARPANET officially changes to use the Internet Protocol, creating the Internet.
  • Lotus 1-2-3 is released
  • IBM releases the IBM PC XT
  • US Space Shuttle Challenger is launched on it's maiden flight
  • Microsoft Word is first released
  • The First Person to Receive an Artificial Heart Barney Clark US dies after 112 days
  • Swatch introduce their first watches
Popular Films

• Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
  • Tootsie
  • Trading Places
  • WarGames
  • Superman III
  • Flashdance
  • Staying Alive
  • Octopussy
  • National Lampoon's Vacation
  • Never Say Never Again
  • Terms of Endearment
  • Yentl
  • Educating Rita
Popular Musicians

• Phil Collins
  • The Police with " Every Breath that you take "
  • Hot Chocolate
  • Big Country
  • Black Sabbath
  • David Bowie
  • Johnny Cash
  • Culture Club
  • Duran Duran
  • Elton John
  • Pink Floyd
  • Ozzy Osbourne
  • Lionel Richie with " All Night Long "
  • Rod Stewart
  • Michael Jackson with " Beat It and Billy Jean "
  • The Moody Blues
  • Bob Marley and the Wailers
http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1983.html

I can't even begin to estimate the number of times I listened to "In a Big Country..."

Sad that the clapped out musclecars of my youth are well beyond my financial state nowadays.

In 1983, you could buy a Six Pak 'cuda for a thousand bucks. Of course, the whole back of the car was a lacework from the tinworm...

Me and my POS 1978 Toyota pickup used to haul a sh!tload of parts around for my buddies with those clapped out muscle cars. Their cars were cooler but mine actually ran.

Speaking of Toyota, I remember my old sky blue 1984 Corolla. The stereo system I had in that bad boy was worth more than the car itself. I think I paid $800 for the car. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
^My dad bought the '78 Toyota new and handed it down to me when I turned 16 with the statement that it was the only vehicle he would ever just give me. He also claimed it's favorable points were that it was reliable as all hell and didn't have enough power to get me killed. He was almost wrong about the power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those 'yotas were great little pickups. Too bad the tin worm loved them so much.

Hemmings Sports and Exotics had a mid seventies Toyota pickup that had been restored. Good article.

Memories....My first car was a 78 Toyota SR5. I named it the Turbo Scratch because It had rust all over the place.Had it for 4 years and was still running great in 1990 when, with a heavy heart, I sold it to a friend.

Loved that car. Manual transmission, comfortable (very comfortable :eyebrows: ), and reliable. I never failed an oil change/spark plugs replacement/maintenance cycle.

^The only thing bad I can really recall about Japanese cars of that era, rust aside, was the valve adjustment ever 12K miles.

Back