1999 Texas A&M Bonfire Collapse Report

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's interesting to think back on this from the emergency responder point of view. They mention over and over how they had recently completed training for cross-agency cooperation. What is missing is the reason that a lot of agencies did this...earlier in the year on April 20 the shootings at Columbine High School tested the emergency responders' ability to work across lines. I think that tragedy helped with this one.

Still sad to think about...we had friends who were A&M grads (ex-students) and the pictures of the bonfire on their mantel were bigger than their wedding portraits.

As a graduate of The University of Texas, I am torn by the whole bonfire issue. This incident tore at the fabric of Texas A&M, one of the most conservative, and homogenous, campuses in the US. Some people say that a "tradition" is a reason to keep doing something stupid; and I believe that having a bunch of students build a 60+ foot structure and setting it on fire is stupid. (By the way, I have a cousin who was working on the bonfire a few hours before it went over. And a good friend of mine lost his little brother that morning.) But as stupid as it was, it was one of the few things the Aggies had to cling to. Texas A&M has changed so much over the last several years, it's student population has grown in size and become VERY diverse. I my day, you could stop any student on the side walk and they would be happy to give you a smile and directions. These days, like most campuses, very few people make eye contact as they walk the campus. I miss the "old" A&M. In summary: The "old Aggie" way was asine, but I'd like to see the bonfire come back. My recommendation; bring back the fire, but have pros build it.

Freon, P.E. - I only dislike Aggies one week a year

PS - I do like all the comments reguarding the lack of "Professional Engineers" in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the report of the Texas A&M bonfire collapse that killed 12 students.
http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/publ...ions/tr-133.pdf

I find it interesting on a side note that the Department of Homeland Security did the report?
You can definitely tell that it's a government report because there are 11 pages of mission statements, blank pages, and credits/participating agencies before the report even starts...then there is a typo in the first paragraph ("The fort-foot stack").

BTW, this report was issued by DHS because US Fire Administration, which was formed long before DHS even existed, was absorbed into DHS after the report was written.

I found the following resolution from the Texas Board of Professional Engineers interesting:

July 26, 2002 - Resolution Reached on Texas A&M Bonfire

Especially this part:

"...Texas A&M and the engineering Board agreed that if the Board brought an administrative action against the university in connection with the collapse, there would be significant legal and factual issues concerning whether the engineering Board has legislative authority to take action against Texas A&M as a result of the bonfire collapse."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back