16 Hour SE Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the Vertical portion only and failed!

Morning:

28/40

Afternoon:

2 Accetable

1 Unacceptable

1 Needs Improvement

I feel like I was close but apparently not enough! I would like to see how many points they give for "needs improvment"?

Well that sucks...
I failed both. Diagnostics say:

For Vertical:

AM 19/40

PM 2 Acceptable, 1 Needs Improvement, 1 Unacceptable

For Lateral:

AM 21/40

PM BOMBED IT!

I actually felt better about the Lateral Exam. But it looks like I am much closer on the Vertical Exam. I know this happens but this is my first time failing any of these exams. So it's a humbling experience...

Looks like I needed 30+/40 for the AM and 3 Acceptables to pass this time around. My personal weak point seems to be Concrete.

Now I am going to take these again. I would rather split the exams up. But I'm wondering if NCEES is going to update the code books to IBC 2009 for next year. I know the reference books won't change much. I'm not going into an exam without the correct ones. It could mean buying another set of references... Ugh!

According to my research per the Texas Board of Professional Engineer's post of a NCEES press release they are updating to the new code rotation Jan 2012 for the April 2012 exam.

Took the Vertical portion only and failed!
Morning:

28/40

Afternoon:

2 Accetable

1 Unacceptable

1 Needs Improvement
Did anyone do better than this and still fail?

Seems like you need to get all the four essays mostly correct in order to pass plus do well (70%+) on the AM. The essays are tough with so little time and so much requested.

If you assume half credit for a needs improvement then that would put the above score at 28/40 for the morning and 25/40 for the afternoon, or a total of about 66%, just under a 70%. I would say if they would have gotten about 2 more right in the morning, or gotten another acceptable in the afternoon, or the not acceptable would have been a needs improvement then it would have been passing.

Today is the day for us in California. I'm waiting and I wish good luck for all.

Last edited by a moderator:
CA SE takers,

Have anyone heard anything yet? My NCEE still shows no result.

Good luck to everyone.

My friend called the board this afternoon. They said the results will be released tonight. It is 30 mins before mid-night and still no sign. So frustrating.

Morning session : 28 correct out of 40 = 70%

Afternoon session: (assuming 10 points per question, 4 total questions)

Question 1 = acceptable = 10 points

Question 2 = acceptable = 10 points

Question 3 = unacceptable = 0 points

Question 4 = Improvement Required = 5 points (assumes half credit)

Total in Afternoon = 25/40 = 62.5%

Average of Morning and Afternoon = 66.3% (needed a 70% to pass)

It seems like all I needed was 8 points on question 3 to pass based on percentages. I was so close :brickwall:

Can you even challenge your score anymore with the new SE? Before you could challenge your score by paying a fee and surrendering you next test sitting as it explained on your fail letter. It says nothing about challenging this new test..... I am a little anoyed that I got a "needs improvment" in Steel design as this is a material that I literally design everyday and the question on the test was fairly simple. Is there anyway I can challenge this?

Thanks

My friend called the board this afternoon. They said the results will be released tonight. It is 30 mins before mid-night and still no sign. So frustrating.

Till now, the result still has not come out yet at CA. I wonder if there's any other state that is still holding the result.

Till now, the result still has not come out yet at CA. I wonder if there's any other state that is still holding the result.

Results just come out for CA, passed both ones.

Good luck to every one in this forum.

Results just come out for CA, passed both ones.

Good luck to every one in this forum.

I passed as well. Good luck everyone.

I passed them both, too. What next? DO we get our licenses, or do we have to pass a CA state laws exam? I believe some states make you take an online laws exam the first time you renew your SE license (FL). Glad the hard part is over.

I passed them both, too. What next? DO we get our licenses, or do we have to pass a CA state laws exam? I believe some states make you take an online laws exam the first time you renew your SE license (FL). Glad the hard part is over.
would you mind telling us your score? for multiple choice and essays. I am curious what was needed to pass. I think I was close so hopeful for next time.

would you mind telling us your score? for multiple choice and essays. I am curious what was needed to pass. I think I was close so hopeful for next time.

They don't provide a score if you pass. Just a letter saying you did including, if you're in California, a vague few sentences pertaining to the state specific portion they're developing for sometime in the fall. That probably means I won't see a license for another 6 months. :BS:

Back