16 Hour SE Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got wacked............. took the lateral,,,,,,,,,,,,wood and light gage killed me...........maybe will try again

Minnesota results in 07/01/11! Just in time before the state government shuts down and the licensing office closed it doors.

I only took the Vertical Portion and PASSED it! Sweet!!! The letter didn't include any scores like I have seen in previous posts just that I passed and need to take the Lateral Portion before becoming licensed.

Illinois results are on Continental Testing's website. I passed!

Minnesota results in 07/01/11! Just in time before the state government shuts down and the licensing office closed it doors.I only took the Vertical Portion and PASSED it! Sweet!!! The letter didn't include any scores like I have seen in previous posts just that I passed and need to take the Lateral Portion before becoming licensed.

SE pass rate

The pass rate is from the April 2011 exam administration. It reflects the percentage of candidates, among those attempting both SE exam components, who attained acceptable results on both components.

Exam: SE

First-time takers: 27%

Repeat takers: n/a

Jesus this looks dismal.

Last edited by a moderator:
SE pass rate
The pass rate is from the April 2011 exam administration. It reflects the percentage of candidates, among those attempting both SE exam components, who attained acceptable results on both components.

Jesus this looks dismal.
Usually the pass rate goes down for repeat takers. Maybe we can get this below 20%. I'm on it!

SE pass rate

Jesus this looks dismal.
Usually the pass rate goes down for repeat takers. Maybe we can get this below 20%. I'm on it!
I will be on the repeat list as well. I hope that it is not 10% for repeat takers.... Because that is where the percent seems to be headed.

I am among the 73%, and will now try to split the test up. Aside from the NCEES practice test, any suggestions on study materials and example problems?

I am among the 73%, and will now try to split the test up. Aside from the NCEES practice test, any suggestions on study materials and example problems?
73% comprises those who did not pass both days AND those who passed one of the two days also. I wish they would go one step further and give the pass rate by Vertical and Lateral also.

Still waiting in New York...anyone hear anything from the Office of Professions (since the last update)?

Still waiting in New York...anyone hear anything from the Office of Professions (since the last update)?
I just called NY Office of Professions. They said NY Board has authenticated the results. Just waiting ...................for email from NCEES.

After passing this new test, what credential should you use on your business cards and e-mail signature? PE? SE? Is this state dependent?

This is state dependent. In Texas, for example, SE is not a recognized credential and therefore shouldn't be used. I would check with your state board.

And hopefully CA do not touch it too.
I would doubt they would. I don't know about the other SE states (WA, IL, HI...) but CA for sure you'll still need to take an additional test on top of the new NCEES SE test. So really, in CA, we're now forced to take even more test than was required previously.

So...for all of those taking this thinking they may be able to be lic. in CA or other states...make sure you check the rules, as even if you pass both sections in CA, you still need another test to add those two letters to the end of your name.

And hopefully CA do not touch it too.
I would doubt they would. I don't know about the other SE states (WA, IL, HI...) but CA for sure you'll still need to take an additional test on top of the new NCEES SE test. So really, in CA, we're now forced to take even more test than was required previously.

So...for all of those taking this thinking they may be able to be lic. in CA or other states...make sure you check the rules, as even if you pass both sections in CA, you still need another test to add those two letters to the end of your name.

Yes. and still is not clear which application to use and no one in board knows it. if you find out that please let me know too and if the same application as 16 hrs SE shall use, do we need to fill out part about References again or I am a Gigantic DoucheBag

Thanks and good luck.

Passed the vertical portion of the exam, failed the lateral. On my diagnostic report of the afternoon I received 1 acceptable, 1 unacceptable, and 2 Improvement Required. What does everybody think improvement required means? Do you think you get partial credit?

Just called NY State. The representative said that we should have the results "in less than a week". So, I guess it's sometime this week, then.

Just called NY State. The representative said that we should have the results "in less than a week". So, I guess it's sometime this week, then.

My supervisor called them before lunch today and got a different answer. The first person he spoke to didn't help him so he asked to be transferred. He was transferred to another person who said we are just going to have to wait and we should be getting results by the end of the month.

So it's obvious NYS is not giving us straight answers by the different responses all the NY exam takers are getting when they call. I am going to simply keep calling, asking the same question in a cordial way, and note the response. I don't see a problem with an honest answer and quicker processing time. I only called them once over a week ago. So I'm not going to call every day and badger them. But I will call them soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that sucks...

I failed both. Diagnostics say:

For Vertical:

AM 19/40

PM 2 Acceptable, 1 Needs Improvement, 1 Unacceptable

For Lateral:

AM 21/40

PM BOMBED IT!

I actually felt better about the Lateral Exam. But it looks like I am much closer on the Vertical Exam. I know this happens but this is my first time failing any of these exams. So it's a humbling experience...

Looks like I needed 30+/40 for the AM and 3 Acceptables to pass this time around. My personal weak point seems to be Concrete.

Now I am going to take these again. I would rather split the exams up. But I'm wondering if NCEES is going to update the code books to IBC 2009 for next year. I know the reference books won't change much. I'm not going into an exam without the correct ones. It could mean buying another set of references... Ugh!

By the way... My supervisor passed both exams! He's not an internet forum guy so I'm posting on his behalf. I'm happy for him!

Back