16 Hour SE Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All who post their results. Please point out what state you took the exam.
again, best of luck to all.
SE Results by State

I figure I'll start this. Apologies if this isn't the right place to do it, but since it's only for SE tests, I thought this might belong here (as opposed to the general PE Results forum). Add states as they release their results. These are the ones I know of...

Texas - 06.29.2011

Michigan - 06.29.2011

North Carolina - 06.29.2011

Any others? I'm still waiting in New York.
Washington 06.29.2011

Colorado 6.29.11

Passed the gravity portion. Need to retake the lateral portion. Above average on the Lateral AM sections, Unacceptable on the PM Wood/Masonry Problem. The rest were "Acceptable". Guess I know what I will be studying this coming August and September.

I did not pass Gravity. Failure diagnostic reports 27/40 on AM and "acceptable" on 2 of the 4 PM essays. Obviously, that's not good enough.

I'm curious to know what are some of the other failing diagnostic scores.

I did pass Lateral.

I did not pass Gravity. Failure diagnostic reports 27/40 on AM and "acceptable" on 2 of the 4 PM essays. Obviously, that's not good enough.
I'm curious to know what are some of the other failing diagnostic scores.

I did pass Lateral.
congrats. which state?

No News for CA. killer waiting.I really like to know what to do, start study again or I am a Gigantic DoucheBag

and I have question, any one knows what is the state board rule? do they change passing rate and send it back to NCEES or just they review?

thanks for any info.

Last edited by a moderator:
No News for CA. killer waiting.I really like to know what to do, start study again or I am a Gigantic DoucheBag
and I have question, any one knows what is the state board rule? do they change passing rate and send it back to NCEES or just they review?

thanks for any info.
I beileve all the states are going through a verification process. It's just to make sure all the paper work is in order and you are who you said you are and all that. I'm not sure where a loophole would occur but that is what New York told me. I don't believe the states change the passing rate or anything like that. That would be bad and I would move if that were the case... hehe...

After passing this new test, what credential should you use on your business cards and e-mail signature? PE? SE? Is this state dependent?

After passing this new test, what credential should you use on your business cards and e-mail signature? PE? SE? Is this state dependent?

It's state dependent. There a large number of states that don't recognize the SE as a separate license yet. I would use it on a resume sent to a state that does recognize it. For me, I am sticking with the PE title I already have. That's not to say you can't use it in a signature or business card. It's just that some clients or agencies may not know what it is in a PE-only state.

Does someone who passed both exams, in a state that doesn't use the SE title, gets to use a PE title in its place? In other words, do you get your PE license? I never bothered looking into this one because I have mine already. But I imagine there are some people taking this test as their first set of exams.

thanks for any info.
I beileve all the states are going through a verification process. It's just to make sure all the paper work is in order and you are who you said you are and all that. I'm not sure where a loophole would occur but that is what New York told me. I don't believe the states change the passing rate or anything like that. That would be bad and I would move if that were the case... hehe...

THANKS.

And hopefully CA do not touch it too.

It's state dependent. There a large number of states that don't recognize the SE as a separate license yet. I would use it on a resume sent to a state that does recognize it. For me, I am sticking with the PE title I already have. That's not to say you can't use it in a signature or business card. It's just that some clients or agencies may not know what it is in a PE-only state.

Does someone who passed both exams, in a state that doesn't use the SE title, gets to use a PE title in its place? In other words, do you get your PE license? I never bothered looking into this one because I have mine already. But I imagine there are some people taking this test as their first set of exams.
I wish I would have found this board earlier; there is a lot of knowledge here! Thanks.

djsarata,

You are right, it is state dependant.

For me personally, I am a PE in MN as well as an SE in CA, IL, and WA. Granted I could use both titles, I simply choose to stick to the PE title until MN becomes an SE state.

As for your last question, a good example is IL. IL has an SE as well as a PE. If you are able to take the SE exam and pass, then you get the title SE only. If you choose to take the PE exam and pass, then you are a PE. If you pass both, then you have both.

djsarata,

For me personally, I am a PE in MN as well as an SE in CA, IL, and WA. Granted I could use both titles, I simply choose to stick to the PE title until MN becomes an SE state.

As for your last question, a good example is IL. IL has an SE as well as a PE. If you are able to take the SE exam and pass, then you get the title SE only. If you choose to take the PE exam and pass, then you are a PE. If you pass both, then you have both.
But is that the same in IL given the new exam? And what about states that don't have an SE license? Does the 16-hour exam make you a PE in that state? Like I said before, I never checked because I have my PE. But in my brief searching no one was clear on how non-SE license states would treat passing the exams?

djsarata,

But is that the same in IL given the new exam? And what about states that don't have an SE license? Does the 16-hour exam make you a PE in that state? Like I said before, I never checked because I have my PE. But in my brief searching no one was clear on how non-SE license states would treat passing the exams?
SE does not equal PE. The SE just makes you a licensed structural eng, not a professional eng. Its sort of an above and beyond sort of thing...unless you don't plan on doing anything else.

Passed Vertical, Got the email at 4:46PM

Virginia 06/30/11

Congrat to everyone who passed.

To those who didn't pass I wish you much luck next time. Don't be discouraged, keep trying.

Depending on how study goes, I will probably attempt "Lateral" in October.

Thanks to everyone on this board. I found a great support community here.

The IL SE license used to use the NCEES SE1 & SE2. As of last October, the exam is the new 16 hour SE exam. So in short, yes but you need to meet their licensure requirements. You need to have something like 18 semester credits in structural engineering with 9 of those credits in actual engineering design from your college transcript.

Also to play off what Snickerd said, the PE & SE in IL are two different licenses. IL is a state that requires an SE license to pretty much anything structural.

No results in VA.......... any other VA candidates outthere waiting?

I did not pass either portion. I had to retake the PE and passed it on the second time. I plan to take the gravity in the fall and the lateral in the spring. Looks like I was very close on both parts. I am licensed in Washington as a PE. Did the graders from WA target me as competition and intentionally grade my exam more closely? Probably not but it is a thought! It is more than likely that I "reviewed" rather than worked problems. This time around I will only work problems. Talk to all of you in the winter.
Didn't pass either section either. I was contemplating the same strategy. Maybe take gravity in the fall and lateral in the spring. Or I could just move on. Also a PE and have no real desire to go to CA, IL, or WA anyway.

Just checked again, not available yet...odd thing...........Amry69, did you take it in VA?
I took it in Texas

Back