$140,000

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I found out my old job they hired an office manager from out of state after I left.

Our ofice structure was that we had 2 PM's and the regional manager in our office, along with a supporting case of env people, bridge guys, etc.

The debate was always which one of the two PM's (me and the other PM) should be the office manager. I figured when I left it would be a no brainer to allow the other PM to become the office manager.

Well they found out they hired some toad from out of state, no local contacts, unfamiliar with the way our clients operate.

Well his salary is..................$140,000/year PLUS (PLUS) a $400 / month car allowance :p

I guess maybe I should have hung around a few more years, but jesus h christ I would be pissed if I was still there and they hired some guy just to be "the old guy who signs contracts"

Yeah I think thats the salary # I would like to be at if I do a 7 year stint in local govt and then go back into consulting.

but I still hate the idea that the only reason they would be willing to pay that kind of money is just because someone was a few years older.

personally I would take a risk on a younger person (mid 30's) who knows the clients rather than some dude with no hair who is going to have to meet all the players..

RG --

I have found myself in a similar predicament with similar outcomes.

I am not sure what it is about the bean-counting managerial types, but they seem to think they can do better by casting a wide net and offering bigger $$ but, as you say, just getting some toad that adds little to no benefit but ends up costing the company lots more money.

I also agree with you - probably better with taking someone with SOME experience (mid 30s) and taking a shot. Especially if they have shown some iniative.

:p

JR

I totally agree with you guys, have seen similar situations before, but it seems to be the way the corporate world works.

Maybe your situation explains why one of the local news anchor here gets his hair colored more grey before every broadcast, for some reason they think by making him look older it markets better, makes him appear more trusting, etc. (I had a freind who worked at the news station and told me about this, apparently if you see the anchor outside of the station he isn't very grey).

Sucks bigtime for the other PM who got glossed over, and probably knows how much the other guy makes. When it comes down to it, you could still work there and be in the same position he's in right now - AND you would still be in the job you left.

It's hard being happy, I struggle with that quite often.

How much does someone beyond 10 years of experience have against someone with JUST 10 years of experience. Let's say that Young Guy (35 yrs - say candidate "A") graduated with an MS in CE back in 1997. He's competing with a 55 year-old guy with an MS in CE back in 1977 with 30 years of experience. Even though the 55 year-old has likely seen some unusual crap and done it all, it doesn't mean that he's prepared to go beyond the box on new projects (not to mention recent changes in product, code, and clients).

Perhaps I'm niave, but I tend to agree with you, RG.

McEngr

how about the $400/ month car allowance? how effed up is that?
It's about as effed up as the cost to pay the guy. I still drive my 1997 Toyota Corolla with 120,000 miles on it. I don't owe any payments on it and I'm not complaining.

What the $400 car allowance is really saying is this: We think you should be driving something "special" because you're on the elite level... bunch of BS...

What the $400 car allowance is really saying is this: We think you should be driving something "special" because you're on the elite level... bunch of BS...
not really. It's just another perk, saying we'll give you a company car that you can use for personal reasons without the car being leased directly by the company and therefore exposed to the liability of you driving a company vehicle off hours (like to social gatherings where one might imbibe.) The company also gets to deduct that expense as a business expense. I suspect he also forgoes any reimbursement for using the vehicle for company business (gas, mileage, etc.)

If he gets both (the allowance and reimbursement) lucky him!

Yeah I wont comlain if I ever get it, I just dont see a companies rationale.

and let me back up, when they brought both of us on, we were told they wouldnt bring in any one over us, so I should have said that from the original post

Me and the other PM won over $13 million in work while we were there, not too shabby for a bunch of kids if you ask me :p

not my problem any more, I just dont see why companies dont realize what they have within, cause I am pretty sure this other guy is as good as gone, and that wont help their client relations.

Wow, that's a kick in nads to the guy that stayed. And, when he leaves they'll have to hire two people to replace him. Most managers have zero management skills and even less business sense. :p

not really. It's just another perk, saying we'll give you a company car that you can use for personal reasons without the car being leased directly by the company and therefore exposed to the liability of you driving a company vehicle off hours (like to social gatherings where one might imbibe.) The company also gets to deduct that expense as a business expense. I suspect he also forgoes any reimbursement for using the vehicle for company business (gas, mileage, etc.)
If he gets both (the allowance and reimbursement) lucky him!
Okay, but when compared to the next guy, I say that it's an unfair perk. I think that's universally understood, isn't it?

Okay, but when compared to the next guy, I say that it's an unfair perk. I think that's universally understood, isn't it?
perks are only unfair to the people who don't get them. (FWIW, I do not get a company car.) We do however get reimbursed 0.48 for every mile we drive our own vehicle for work related travel. We also get an additional "truck allowance" like $40/day if we are using our personal vehicle to haul a large amount of crap (tools) back and forth to the job site.

Depending on the type of work you do, a company car or car allowance isn't unusual. Sounds like this guy negotiated it and they gave it to him. Lucky him. Jealousy is not a pretty thing. Heck I'm jealous of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
well I found out this AM that the minimum salary for a VP at that company is $140K & the $400 car allowance.

So I guess there is comfort knowing that he is at the bottom of the VP food chain.

I was about $50K below that but would have never started looking if they would have put me $30K below that level.

thier loss RG.

give your new place a chance for a while and then maybe you can apply back at the old ranch as an "experienced outsider" willing to work as an entry level VP!!

:BS:

Didn't TMckeon claim to make $140K? Maybe he's the new VP.

Didn't TMckeon claim to make $140K? Maybe he's the new VP.
It might be...it could be. He is hiring now. I took a look at the graveyard he created and he has a post hiring.

Maybe he was right and he is too good for us....Yeah.....right....and the elephants will fly too.

Back