FE DIAGNOSTICS CIVIL PM APRIL 2008

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEEL MAN

Man of Steel
Reaction score
THIS IS WHAT I GOT FROM NCEES I FAILED!

FE DIAGNOSTICS APRIL 2008

MATH 47

PROBAB 25

CHEMISTRY 18

COMPUTERS 50

ETHICS 88

ECONOMICS 40

MECHANICS 77

STRENGTH 62

MAT PROP 38

FLUID 50

ELECT 27

THERMO 25

AM AVE 45.6

SURVEY 43

HYDRAULICS 71

SOIL 11

ENVI 43

TRANSPO 29

STRUC ANALY 33

STRUC DESIGN 100

CONS MAN 83

MATERIALS 60

PM AVE 52.6

TOT AVE 49.07

I've read in some fairly reputable places that the passing score for the FE is generally around 55%. You can't take that to the bank, but I even read that on a state board website at one time.

As opposed to the PE score, which nobody really knows, but is probably around 70%.

Well, first off, it looks like you made the right choice by doing Civil in the afternoon rather than General. And, it Benbo is right, you're overall score isn't too far off the mark.

For your next try, I would take a good, hard look at any topics that you scored 50% or lower. Those are the spots that you're likely to be able to pick up some points. Also, take a look at the NCEES exam specifications. All topics are NOT weighted equally. For instance, Math is 15% of the morning exam, while all of the other topics are 10% or less.

I analyzed your diagnostics for you:

MATH (15%) 47 9/19

PROBAB (7%) 25 2/8

CHEMISTRY (9%) 18 2/11

COMPUTERS (7%) 50 4/8

ETHICS (7%) 88 7/8

ECONOMICS (8%) 40 4/10

MECHANICS (10%) 77 10/13

STRENGTH (7%) 62 5/8

MAT PROP (7%) 38 3/8

FLUID (7%) 50 4/8

ELECT (9%) 27 3/11

THERMO (7%) 25 2/8

AM AVE 45.8 55/120

SURVEY 11% 43 3/7

HYDRAULICS 12% 71 5/7

SOIL 15% 11 1/9

ENVI 12% 43 3/7

TRANSPO 12% 29 2/7

STRUC ANALY 10% 33 2/6

STRUC DESIGN 10% 100 6/6

CONS MAN 10% 83 5/6

MATERIALS 8% 60 3/5

PM AVE 50.0 30/60

TOT AVE 47.9

Thanks guys, I do appreciate your analysis on this, I need more or less 10 pts to pass or ten more correct problems.

I will try to study more on the PM subjects Math and Mechanics

I hope I will make it this Fall 2008.

Again thanks.

I think you might want to throw in some soils and chemistry. You don't want to just try for 10 points- the next test could be a lot harder, or just problems that youre not as good at solving. As Tex said, the subjects less than 50% are where I'd study first, especially if there are a lot of problems in that area. If you got less than 25% in the topic, I would study that regardless of the number of topics. You have plenty of time to cover a lot of topics before October- make use of all that time.

I'd suggest going over the Stats & Probability stuff again, along with Chem, E&M, Fluids, and Thermo.

I hate probability (HATE!) and am struggling mightily through chem. Not sure how much effort will be worth it in E&M, since anything beyond Ohm's Law results in my eyes glazing over - but I will be trying to review that, anyways. You might be able to pick up a few points at least!

Fluids and Thermo are both lesser percentages of the morning test, but are probably worth going over anyways.

My personal goal in review is to get at least 50% on the diagnostic exams at the beginning of each FERM section. I go through each chapter, do the problems at the end, and then go back and do the diagnostic for the whole group of chapters. If I get better than 50% on the diagnostic, I move on. I'm having a very hard time breaking myself of the notion that I need to labor over a tough question until I get it right - that will waste a lot of time on the actual exam.

I'd suggest going over the Stats & Probability stuff again, along with Chem, E&M, Fluids, and Thermo.
I hate probability (HATE!) and am struggling mightily through chem. Not sure how much effort will be worth it in E&M, since anything beyond Ohm's Law results in my eyes glazing over - but I will be trying to review that, anyways. You might be able to pick up a few points at least!

Fluids and Thermo are both lesser percentages of the morning test, but are probably worth going over anyways.

My personal goal in review is to get at least 50% on the diagnostic exams at the beginning of each FERM section. I go through each chapter, do the problems at the end, and then go back and do the diagnostic for the whole group of chapters. If I get better than 50% on the diagnostic, I move on. I'm having a very hard time breaking myself of the notion that I need to labor over a tough question until I get it right - that will waste a lot of time on the actual exam.
Get a Silent Timer. Best tool I took. It recalcs the time you have left per question so you wont stop on one question for too long. They made me keep mine on the floor but thats okay and they make a watch too. worth the $20 i promise.

MATH 47

PROBAB 25

CHEMISTRY 18

COMPUTERS 50

ETHICS 88

ECONOMICS 40

MECHANICS 77

STRENGTH 62

MAT PROP 38

FLUID 50

ELECT 27

THERMO 25

AM AVE 45.6

SURVEY 43

HYDRAULICS 71

SOIL 11

ENVI 43

TRANSPO 29

STRUC ANALY 33

STRUC DESIGN 100

CONS MAN 83

MATERIALS 60

PM AVE 52.6

TOT AVE 49.07

I also failed here are my results. Can some one please tell me what areas to concentrate on for April 2009?

Mathematics 21

Engineering Probability and Statistics 12

Chemistry 55

Computers 38

Ethics and Business Practices 75

Engineering Economics 30

Engineering Mechanics (Statics and Dynamics) 15

Strength of Materials 25

Material Properties 12

Fluid Mechanics 62

Electricity and Magnetism 18

Thermodynamics 50

Afternoon Knowledge Areas

Water Resources 40

Water and Wastewater Engineering 33

Air Quality Engineering 67

Solid and Hazardous Waste Engineering 56

Environmental Science and Management 44

ok, i'm bored clearly. . .

so you took the enviro pm - here's how things shake out more or less

I also failed here are my results. Can some one please tell me what areas to concentrate on for April 2009?[fractions indicate approx correct out of # of probs in given topic]

Mathematics (15%) 21 (4/19)

Engineering Probability and Statistics (7%) 12 (1/8)

Chemistry (9%) 55 (6/11)

Computers (7%) 38 (3/8)

Ethics and Business Practices (7%) 75 (6/8)

Engineering Economics (8%) 30 (3/10)

Engineering Mechanics (Statics and Dynamics) (10%) 15 (2/13)

Strength of Materials (7%) 25 (2/8)

Material Properties (7%) 12 (1/8)

Fluid Mechanics (7%) 62 (5/8)

Electricity and Magnetism (9%) 18 (2/11)

Thermodynamics (7%) 50 (4/8)

AM avg = 32% or 39/120

Afternoon Knowledge Areas

Water Resources (25%) 40 (6/15)

Water and Wastewater Engineering (30%) 33 (6/18)

Air Quality Engineering (15%) 67 (6/9)

Solid and Hazardous Waste Engineering (15%) 56 (5/9)

Environmental Science and Management (15%) 44 (4/9)

PM avg = 45% or 27/60

Overall = 39%+-
bolded areas are your problem areas. The am session murdered you. you can be weak in 1, maybe 2 areas (i.e. electricity & thermo) But you gotta pull the other areas out good. you were abysmal (sorry for blunt speak) in 8 areas on am session! Your pm score wasn't passing, but wasn't overly problematic either. if you knocked out a good score on am section, it could have carried you. You really need to hit the FERM and get that am general portion better prepped for. good luck, i'm waiting on Oct results, but dont believe my State provides diagnostic breakdown. . .

bolded areas are your problem areas. The am session murdered you. you can be weak in 1, maybe 2 areas (i.e. electricity & thermo) But you gotta pull the other areas out good. you were abysmal (sorry for blunt speak) in 8 areas on am session! Your pm score wasn't passing, but wasn't overly problematic either. if you knocked out a good score on am section, it could have carried you. You really need to hit the FERM and get that am general portion better prepped for. good luck, i'm waiting on Oct results, but dont believe my State provides diagnostic breakdown. . .
Thanks for the advice! I totally agree with you! Im taking two grad courses this semster which will really help in the PM section. I also am going to totally prepare for the AM part!

Is Texas listed as one of those states that does not give a diagnostic report? I think I didd pretty well and would appreciate a little more than a "P" (hopefully).

Is Texas listed as one of those states that does not give a diagnostic report? I think I didd pretty well and would appreciate a little more than a "P" (hopefully).
Everybody gives you a diagnostic report if you don't pass.

I think only Texas and Virgina give you a score if you pass. But you don't get a diagnostic if you pass.

Here's my diagnostic: (i ran out of time and guess on the electricity)

MORNING

MATH 63%

ENG PROB AND STAT 38%

CHEMISTRY (DIDN'T HAVE IN COLLEGE) 18%

COMPUTERS 62%

ETHICS AND BUSINESS 100%

ENGINEERING ECON 40%

ENG MECHANICS 31%

STRENGTH OF MATERIALS 25%

MATERIAL PROPERTIES 25%

FLUID MECHANICS 75%

THERMODYNAMICS 50%

MORNING AVERAGE 44.67%

AFTERNOON

ADV. ENG MATH 50%

ENG PROB AND STAT 80%

BIOLOGY 67%

ENG ECON 50%

APP. OF ENG MECHANICS 62%

ENG MATERIALS 43%

FLUIDS 33%

ELECTRICITY AND MAGN 57%

THERMO 22%

PM AVERAGE 51.56%

TOTAL 48.11%

To wvgirl14:

Don't worry, take the FE next year again. I think you are close to pass this exam. You just need to prepare more morning Chemistry and electricity for the next time. Your afternoon score is passed but the morning part that you should get addition 7 to 10 points to pass.

I did the same general DS in the afternoon which I think that I might getting the same score as you but the morning part that I guess on the thermodynamics because I don't have times!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my diagnostic: (i ran out of time and guess on the electricity)
MORNING

MATH 63%

ENG PROB AND STAT 38%

CHEMISTRY (DIDN'T HAVE IN COLLEGE) 18%

COMPUTERS 62%

ETHICS AND BUSINESS 100%

ENGINEERING ECON 40%

ENG MECHANICS 31%

STRENGTH OF MATERIALS 25%

MATERIAL PROPERTIES 25%

FLUID MECHANICS 75%

THERMODYNAMICS 50%

MORNING AVERAGE 44.67%

AFTERNOON

ADV. ENG MATH 50%

ENG PROB AND STAT 80%

BIOLOGY 67%

ENG ECON 50%

APP. OF ENG MECHANICS 62%

ENG MATERIALS 43%

FLUIDS 33%

ELECTRICITY AND MAGN 57%

THERMO 22%

PM AVERAGE 51.56%

TOTAL 48.11%
wvgirl,

your diagnostics is not that bad, we have the same problem, i ran out of time in AM too. I will do it again on April 2009. Good luck on your next attempt.

I think people who fail this Oct. 2008 FE general-general exam that will have higher percentage score in the afternoon than in the morning.

Question: Can people pass the FE exam with 0% in the morning but 100% in the afternoon or the other way around (100% morning and 0% afternoon)?

To wvgirl14:

I just find out that your afternoon "ELECTRICITY AND MAGN 57%" if you applied that to the morning then you will get 5 ro 6 points for the morning. Your morning part which will give you 49% and if you add your afternoon score that will give you overall 50 to 51%. Time is the main issue here so next time make sure to remeber some equations and definaitons in mind then it will shorter your time for solving problems.

Good Luck Next Time.

Yeah I think if I would have had more time I could have picked up points in electrical. I am going to start after the holidays studying again. I am going to try to pick up more Chemistry and Materials. I also will do more practice exams to try to better manage my time. I did two before I took it this time, but I will do more this time and try to get better at solving more rapidly. I am determined to try and pass this test in April. Failing it only makes me want to pass it more.

I passed my Oct. 2008 FE exam in General DS (My second try). As promised that I will post my April 2008 Diagonostic Report.

MORNING

MATH 58%

ENG PROB AND STAT 75%

CHEMISTRY 64%

COMPUTERS 38%

ETHICS AND BUSINESS 50%

ENGINEERING ECON 50%

ENG MECHANICS 62%

STRENGTH OF MATERIALS 50%

MATERIAL PROPERTIES 38%

FLUID MECHANICS 38%

ELECTRICITY and MAGNESTISM 27%

THERMODYNAMICS 88%

AFTERNOON

ADV. ENG MATH 17%

ENG PROB AND STAT 40%

BIOLOGY 67%

ENG ECON 33%

APP. OF ENG MECHANICS 38%

ENG MATERIALS 71%

FLUIDS 22%

ELECTRICITY AND MAGN 43%

THERMO 33%

After I got my fail notice on June 23, 2008 that I prepared my Oct. 2008 FE General DS again on July 7th.

From July 7th to Oct FE exam that I prepared my general FE exam--

(1) Lindg manual book (every sections)

(2) 6 sample exam- 1 sample for lind book, 2 samples for fe review samples book 2nd edition, 2 samples for fe review samples book 1st edition and 1 sample from this website.

(3) On-line courses and their samples for every topics (free) - I forgot the website but I think people post here before that you can serach old post.

I hope everyone will pass April 2009 FE exam!!!!

Latest posts

Back