PE Civil Exam chaging in April 2013

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyEngineer

Reaction score
PE Civil exam is going to change from April 2013. Anyone has an idea as to what is going to change? Are they just going to add the new AASHTO book (6th eidtion) and other books or ....???

Any insight will be really appreciated.

There are a lot of AASHTO books, you should probably be more specific. I assume you mean the 2011 6th ed of the AASHTO PGDHS for the Transpo Depth (not everyone takes Transpo depth so they may not know what you mean).

What you are asking here came up in your other thread. In my reply to you, I mentioned that there are other changes/updates to the NCEES design standards. I suggested that you look for the thread in the Transpo sub-forum where this was discussed. I was hoping to not do this for you. ;) But, that's ok.... here is a link to answer your question: http://www.lapels.com/docs/examinations/1304Civ_StrDesignStandards.pdf

I wouldn't count this document as official until it is released by NCEES themselves but I bet it's pretty close.

I wouldn't say the PE Exam is changing, NCEES is just updating the required references/standards. But I haven't heard anything about the exam format changing.

I can't speak for transportation folks, but for those taking the Structural PE (or the SE), I would almost guarantee the codes will be the same in 2013 (& most likely 2014) as this year.

NCEES just adopted the 2009 IBC into the exam specs this year and they base that on the current edition of the code that most states are using. To my knowledge, there are only a couple states that are using the 2012 IBC (FL & MD).

I read the standards and it seems like nothing has changed. I think the old material is just as good for the new exams. When I took the PE I had the 2002 Roadside Design Guide and it worked well. I have known of people who had old books yet found them useful with different exam configurations.

I read the standards and it seems like nothing has changed. I think the old material is just as good for the new exams. When I took the PE I had the 2002 Roadside Design Guide and it worked well. I have known of people who had old books yet found them useful with different exam configurations.
Which depth(s) are you looking at? There were lots of changes for Transpo Depth.

Back