Consulting/Insurance

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMiller

Reaction score
I have been asked to stamp a very simple set of plans for community sign installation. The requirement of the stamp is for the 4'x4'x6' tall brick ccolumns at each end. Per the county, anything over 48" tall needs to be stamped by an engineer. I am on the board for said community and don't mind stamping it. The question comes of E&O insurance. My company covers me for my day to day work, hwoever this is "extra curricular". While I am not worried that the pillars will fall over or anything of that nature, but I feel like it is necessary to be covered. Has anyone been faced with a similar situation?

Thanks.

A couple of points here for you to consider.

1. I have done similar side projects. Make sure your company knows, as it may be considered moon lighting even though you are not getting paid.

2. I typically discuss it with my company and have the non-profit sign a contract for $1 in services. That is the minimum for the project to be covered under our campany's E&O insurance.

3. I have Allstate insurance for my home owner's policy. Part of that plan gives me professional liability insurance up to somewhere around $150K, with my standard house deductible. You should review you plan or contact your home owner's insurance company and ask if it is written into your policy. That was just a perk that was free and was considered part of the normal policy.

I highly suggest you get it covered by some form of insurance. Being, what sounds like a monument sign at an entrance or along a roadway, there could be some sight-distance considerations. God forbid some dumb driver gets into an accident around it and sues you. Better safe than sorry !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
@ bradlelf, I think I am switching to Allstate if they really have the professional liablity included...

Amiller, As an option or supplement to the previous post, you may want to draft a simple contract that defines the scope and limits the risk. Personally, I do not see much risk with this sign, but an agreement just helps friend remain friends.

Thank you both for the reply. I checked with my HOI (Travelers) and they do not have that "perk". I agree the risk is minimal but just want to make sure everything is done correctly. We do have a lawyer on our HOA board so I am sure we can get soemthing together that suits all parties. Thanks.

Back