If the IRS can do it why can't NCEES?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPSUEngineer

Civil Site Engineer
Reaction score
I don't understand why NCEES can't give us an update on their website stating exactly when results will be released to alleviate some of the anxiety. Even the IRS tells you the day you will receive your tax refund. Surely they must know a couple of weeks after the exam exactly how long it will take to get results out.

I agree.

My state board's website gives no insight or info, but are very rude if you call them. Well, if you don't want a hundreds of people calling (probably more like dozens), then post some info on your website. They don't even have the board meeting schedule.

lol

One of the things I've learned while working with an engineering consulting firm is to not guarnatee anything for which you have no control. The NCEES/ELSES has no control over how each state handles the distrobution of their respective results, and instead of creating a multitude of different scenarios, they cover it all with a blanket statement of "10-12 weeks."

While I don't disagree that a more efficient system may exist and could possibly be used, I have also learned that engineers typically aren't very fond of change. So I wouldn't expect them to change things drastically in the near future. Even the email notification system was first being introduced for the April 2008 results (3 rounds later and only a fraction of the states use it...)

Last edited:
I applied to BCIS (Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration services) a week ago and I already can check status of my application online. BCIS gets more application than total number of PE students. If they can do it then NCEES should have no problems implementing it. The technology is already there it is just that they do not want to open there eyes!!

I feel really bad that when you call for information for results they would be rude! If you do not want people calling you, "Give them live status of there application". I would be relaxed even if I could check whether NCEES have my results or whether they were sent to states. I also do not understand why the states are being the "Middle Man". NCEES conducted the exam and they should provide results. There is no need for states to receive the results first and then forward them to candidates.

Whole system is out of whack.... But again what can we expect!

Some states require the board to approve or accept the results and vote to grant licenses to the candidates. Some boards actually review each application again before voting on the applicant. Some boards just immediately forward the results to applicants without voting on them. The NCEES and ELSES have no control over this process, so they are unable to give you a definitive timeline on when you will receive results. That makes them reluctant to tell you when they have released the results to the states because then all the states would be inundated with requests for results, and the states would then complain to NCEES/ELSES for telling everybody that the results were available. The system has become a little more efficient in a lot of states since ELSES started offering e-mail notification. Now, states that subscribe to that service send their results to applicants at the same time that results are sent to the state boards (or shortly thereafter). This essentially gives applicants in other states the green light to start calling their boards to get results.

Then, there's California...

Some states require the board to approve or accept the results and vote to grant licenses to the candidates. Some boards actually review each application again before voting on the applicant. Some boards just immediately forward the results to applicants without voting on them. The NCEES and ELSES have no control over this process, so they are unable to give you a definitive timeline on when you will receive results. That makes them reluctant to tell you when they have released the results to the states because then all the states would be inundated with requests for results, and the states would then complain to NCEES/ELSES for telling everybody that the results were available. The system has become a little more efficient in a lot of states since ELSES started offering e-mail notification. Now, states that subscribe to that service send their results to applicants at the same time that results are sent to the state boards (or shortly thereafter). This essentially gives applicants in other states the green light to start calling their boards to get results.
Then, there's California...
If NCEES developed the exam and they checked the exam with appropriate passing score, why would state want to change that? If they are doing that for some other reasons (Criminal records, professional lawsuit in state) then it is acceptable but if they are tempering with the passing score then I do not feel state should have any rights todo that. If state want to take those descisions they should prepare there own PE exams rather than using NCEES.

As far as I know most of the states just pass the score to the candidates. In such circumstances they are just acting as middle man with only one intention: Delay the results.

Maryland is one such state. They are always late and make sure there resident have a good time waiting for results which they could have got atleast 10 days earlier!

My sons got their SAT results faster then this. Here we have some of the smartest minds in the country putting these tests together, but can't get the results out in a respectable time. My advice to NCEES, hire people that know how to do this. If I wanted to paint my house, I would not hire an engineer, I would hire a painter. With all of the computer programs out there, I am sure that after collecting the exams from all of the states, giving them a week, entering the score sheets into a document reader and scoring it. They could then work their "magic" numbers into the results. Three weeks total I think would do it.

My sons got their SAT results faster then this. Here we have some of the smartest minds in the country putting these tests together, but can't get the results out in a respectable time. My advice to NCEES, hire people that know how to do this. If I wanted to paint my house, I would not hire an engineer, I would hire a painter. With all of the computer programs out there, I am sure that after collecting the exams from all of the states, giving them a week, entering the score sheets into a document reader and scoring it. They could then work their "magic" numbers into the results. Three weeks total I think would do it.

SAT results are simply run through a ScanTron scoring machine and the results sent out immediately. The NCEES has a detailed description of their scoring process on their website. It involves checking commonly missed problems for potential mistakes in the wording/solutions to the problem, then the tests are re-graded with those problems omitted. It's a far more complex grading procedure than with the SAT exams.

I'm sure NCEES takes longer than three weeks to listen to all of the unprepared people complain about unfair questions.

All I'm saying is it seems like NCEES or ELSES could give the exact date of when results are released to candidates or the state board depending on their agreement with each individual jurisdiction. They could simply post this on their website.

Then each state board could post the exact date of when they release the results (if applicable).

This would eliminate all the uncertainly, phone calls, e-mails, and guessing and people would know exactly when to expect results.

The funniest thing about all of this is that none of this will change the fact that everyone must wait a very long time for exam results.

Just take a load off and enjoy the time that you do not have to study! That's what I do/did!

The wait is nothing new. Quit worrying about it, we've all been there. The results will come. Have patience.

Don't call your board, it doesn't make anything go any faster, you just annoy the person on the other end of the line.

Here are some things I've read people threatening to do while waiting for results-

1. Launch class action suits against NCEES or the state board.

2. Talk in person to their conngressman, or senator.

3. MAke it their life's work to attend every board meeting until the process changes.

Strangely enough, shortly after the results came in, I never read anything more about these valiant crusades.

If NCEES developed the exam and they checked the exam with appropriate passing score, why would state want to change that? If they are doing that for some other reasons (Criminal records, professional lawsuit in state) then it is acceptable but if they are tempering with the passing score then I do not feel state should have any rights todo that. If state want to take those descisions they should prepare there own PE exams rather than using NCEES.
As far as I know most of the states just pass the score to the candidates. In such circumstances they are just acting as middle man with only one intention: Delay the results.

Maryland is one such state. They are always late and make sure there resident have a good time waiting for results which they could have got atleast 10 days earlier!
Guys... I'm as guilty as the next to complain, but really... I think you should put this into a little context. 10 days won't make or break anyone (well, just about anyone as there are a few stories where 10 days made a difference). You don't have a business relationship with NCEES - you have one with the state board. Licensing is the combination of education, experience, and examination - so it should seem obvious that the state board might want to consider the results before making a licensing decision.

But bottom line: if you don't like it, complain to the state board, not here or to NCEES. And I'm pretty sure there is no state board with the only intention of delaying results - but you could call them and ask.

Well, now that I think about it more, they do say 10 to 12 weeks, and here it is at 7 weeks. If we get the results next week I will count my blessings. As a rant goes, I know it is better for us to blow off steam here then to aggravate the people at NCEES. All that does is slow the process by having someone who could be doing something else, answering the phone and listening to one of us blowing off steam. Here is another way of looking at it, maybe by them taking an extra day or two they may find a problem with one of their questions that would yield some of us passing the test versus just missing it.

Here are some things I've read people threatening to do while waiting for results-1. Launch class action suits against NCEES or the state board.

2. Talk in person to their conngressman, or senator.

3. Make it their life's work to attend every board meeting until the process changes.

Strangely enough, shortly after the results came in, I never read anything more about these valiant crusades.
Yeah... funny, isn't it? Between exam results and crediting foreign education, you'd think we could keep a few lawyers ni business.

Back