construction breadth help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

construction

Reaction score
I missed my pe license just because construction breadth killed me in the morning exam . I got 75% without construction

and adding construction breadth got 68% . so I need help just for the construction breadth. just I need to pass

for the people who passed the exam, what the references and problems they studied?. because CEMR is not enough at all

please. help

The CERM (10th edition) had plenty of information for me to pass the construction afternoon depth. The key is knowing where in the book to look for the information. Most of it is buried within the chapters (and sub-chapters) of each depth section. I know the 11th edition was supposed to consolidate this information into a single location, but I know from looking at a co-worker's copy that not all of the info has been moved as it still pertains to the original section (like horzontal curve layouts are specifically for transportation, but still relate to construction).

Construction is just like all of the other depths: You need to know a little of each of the other depths. For example, for a roadway design you would need to know a little on hydraulics (what happens when it rains?) or a little geotech (Is the subgrade in a good condition to handle the load?), right?

Obviously by no means is this an all-encompassing list of chapters, but it should help point you in the right direction.

Some of the chapters that may be of help (Chapter #'s are from the 10th edition)

#35 - Soil Properties and Testing (Geotech)

#39 - Temporary Excavations (Geotech)

#48 - Properties of Concrete and Reinforcing Steel (Structural)

#49 - Concrete Proportioning, Mixing, and Placing (Structural)

#58 - Structural Steel: Introduction (Structural)

#68 - Properties of Masonry (Structural)

#78 - Plane Surveying (Transportation)

#80 - Construction Earthwork, Staking, and Surveying (Transportation)

#81 - Project Management (Systems)

#82 - Construction and Jobsite Safety (Systems)

#85 - Engineering Economic Analysis (Systems)

Obviously some of these have been re-numbered for the 11th edition, and unfortunately I don't have a copy easily available for a cross-reference so be careful. I found that simply skimming each of the chapters (in all sections) would reveal a few sub-chapters that have a little insight into the construction side.

The CERM (10th edition) had plenty of information for me to pass the construction afternoon depth. The key is knowing where in the book to look for the information. Most of it is buried within the chapters (and sub-chapters) of each depth section. I know the 11th edition was supposed to consolidate this information into a single location, but I know from looking at a co-worker's copy that not all of the info has been moved as it still pertains to the original section (like horzontal curve layouts are specifically for transportation, but still relate to construction).
Construction is just like all of the other depths: You need to know a little of each of the other depths. For example, for a roadway design you would need to know a little on hydraulics (what happens when it rains?) or a little geotech (Is the subgrade in a good condition to handle the load?), right?

Obviously by no means is this an all-encompassing list of chapters, but it should help point you in the right direction.

Some of the chapters that may be of help (Chapter #'s are from the 10th edition)

#35 - Soil Properties and Testing (Geotech)

#39 - Temporary Excavations (Geotech)

#48 - Properties of Concrete and Reinforcing Steel (Structural)

#49 - Concrete Proportioning, Mixing, and Placing (Structural)

#58 - Structural Steel: Introduction (Structural)

#68 - Properties of Masonry (Structural)

#78 - Plane Surveying (Transportation)

#80 - Construction Earthwork, Staking, and Surveying (Transportation)

#81 - Project Management (Systems)

#82 - Construction and Jobsite Safety (Systems)

#85 - Engineering Economic Analysis (Systems)

Obviously some of these have been re-numbered for the 11th edition, and unfortunately I don't have a copy easily available for a cross-reference so be careful. I found that simply skimming each of the chapters (in all sections) would reveal a few sub-chapters that have a little insight into the construction side.
Thanks a lot, I will take these advices to pass my handicaped construction if you have any advice let me know . I will be very appreciated

Back