Things you did right

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudy

Is this it?
Reaction score
While waiting for the exam results, I jotted down a list of things that helped me.

Here's my list for...

Things I did right (for any examinee – to prepare for exam):

1. Email (w/ list of books and strategy) from passing examinee (see Passing ChE Exam Advice: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=5138)

2. Bought all the books on the email list

3. Created a cross reference list – of exam problems and theories by using the NCEES test topics. This was the main one.

4. My strategy this time only involved practicing problems – any theory behind it... I would add it to my list.

5. Divided up and tabbed my list by the 6 NCEES test topics, made sure I put this in a folder and took it with me to the exam.

6. Came into to work on Saturday’s 6-weeks before the test to simulate exam conditions. The first 2 weeks were pitiful – only stayed 3 to 4 hours. By the 3rd week, I got used to staying still and sitting longer. By the 5th week was able to sit for the whole time.

7. Took half days off from work to simulate exam conditions starting 4 weeks prior to the exam. This was good because it broke up my practice time into half days during the week (instead of long full days). Was also good, because I had the house all to myself (no kids or honey... no guilt). On some days I didn’t feel like simulating exam conditions, so I used that time to review my list (see item 3) and update it with any problems/theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things I did right (specifically for ChE – to prepare):

1. I cannot stress enough the cross reference list. I made this up based on the 6 NCEES ChE topics and added to it as I practiced problems.

2. Used the ChERM’s Quick Reference book to add

- a list of the values for the Gas Constant in different units (there are at least 10 of them)

- a reference to any tables in the ChERM manual with conversions (i.e. referenced the viscosity table in the ChERM manual – page and table number in the ChERM manual)

- additional conversions (i.e. the conversion from Refrigeration Ton to BTU/min; also cP to lb / ft sec)

3. Used the ChERM to add additional equations (i.e. added the full Bernoulli equation to the page that talks about Bernoulli; that page is missing the pump work and turbine work terms; also added how to convert those work terms into power).

4. Made copies of indices of the ChERM 6th ed, CERM 5th ed, Das Review book and put these in my notebook. This way I could look up topics faster among the 3 books without having to flip thru each individual book. I used this strategy during my first two try’s. I didn’t work too well since I only took the CERM 6th edition. However, this strategy worked very my third time since I had three reference books.

5. Used my 17-year old Plant Design book to find items for my cross reference list. After my first exam, I found one equation that I could have used on my first exam (I didn’t use it since I hadn’t reviewed the book and didn’t know what the heck the question was asking – I remembered the question and came across the needed equation during my third time around studying). I found a totally different equation that I needed on my third exam in this book. For my third exam, I was able to use the equation. Mind you, none of these equations are in any of my other reference books (ChERM / Das). The only way I came across these equations was by going thru the 6 NCEES test topics and trying to find them with my current books (ChERM & Das) and by looking thru my old undergraduate ChE books. The only reason I had that old Plant Design book, was because the book store was only offering $5 when I tried to sell it back after graduation.

Things I did right (exam day):

1. I had a sensible breakfast (scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage pattie, and coffee). This way I would not get hungry during the exam and waste time eating.

2. Reviewed the exam first, and marked questions with E (for easy), M (for medium), and H (for hard). Worked on the easy ones right away if I knew the answer or if I could go directly to the needed reference based on my tabs. Then, went back and worked on all the easy ones I had skipped, then medium ones, then hard ones. Mind you, once I went thru some of the medium ones they either turned out to be easy or hard so I’d have to re-label them. This is the best way I came across doing it since you want to give each question an equal amount of chance.

3. Once I started working thru a problem, I would do several things as I would read it. As I came across what was given, I would underline it, with its units, and draw a line from it to the outer edge of the question. At the end of the line, I would write the parameter. For instance if it was the diameter, I would write “d”. This helped with figuring out the hard ones... just trying to remember quickly what equation I could use to solve using what was given.

4. I also drew a box around the units that the solution needed to be in. There were a few questions where the given data was given in specific units and the answer was required in different units. I don’t remember specifically, but for example, the given data was in inches, but the answer needed to be in feet. I had time to check some of the “wrong” answers and found that one of the wrong choices was correct in (say) inches, but was actually wrong since the solution was for (say) feet.

5. I did NOT get up to go the bathroom nor stretch during either the morning or the afternoon part. I was able to do this by simulating exam conditions prior to the exam.

6. I did NOT eat any snacks during the morning or afternoon part. I was able to do this by simulating exam conditions prior to the exam.

7. I did take a little sip of water during the afternoon part, but I made sure if was a small sip to make sure I didn’t have to get up to go the restroom.

8. I had a sensible lunch – mainly protein (3 slices of ham, one hard-boiled egg, and a power drink). I ate right away, so that I’d take care of restroom stuff before the afternoon part. All this restroom talk… yes, that was a concern for me… since time was not on my side.

9. I drank a power drink for lunch (high in caffeine). This drink is not your regular end-of-the-mill soda or tea. This was a true power drink as advertised on the packaging as an energy booster. The contents were an extraordinary amount of caffeine and some other ingredients to boost energy. This gave me an energy burst to continue working hard during the afternoon part. The drink was actually a powder that you add to water. The powder is called Advocare Spark Energy Drink. It is labeled with, “Sharpens mental focus. Long-lasting energy. Sugar-free. Vitamin & Amino Acid Supplement.” It comes in different flavors. I used the mandarin orange flavor.

So...... What did you do right to prepare for the exam and during the exam?

So...... What did you do right to prepare for the exam and during the exam?
1. My study schedule of topics followed the Passing Zone format, which I did sign up for. Working and seeing results for the 5 on-line problems each week was helpful and reassuring, as I never got more than one wrong each week (without cheating). Mostly a good focus on topics and the order was good for me.

2. Monday thru Thursday I studied after work for 2-3 hours a night. Saturday and Sunday were all studying, starting at six hours a day and working up to nearly nine hours each day towards the end. Similar to your working up to exam conditions. My wife was very accommodating in picking up the slack on my chores.

3. I set up a study area to mimic exam conditions as best I could. Folding table in one corner of the den, limited space, books stacked on the floor, decent lighting but nothing else. No music, TV, snacks other than what is permitted during exam.

4. As I was working problems, if I used a certain page in a reference text more than about three times it got a tab stuck on it with a note what was there. Come exam day there was very little flipping through pages.

5. Learned how to have my calculator do numeric integrations. Used that twice during the test.

6. Last four weeks of studying got together with a friend who was also taking the test once a week to compare study notes, exchange cheat sheets, and help with each others weaknesses. Very helpful as compared to looking in the back of the book when you are stumped.

7. Using a very sharp razor, removed the kinetics section of the 6th edition ChERM so I wouldn't be tempted to refer to it, since every time I looked at it I felt dumber. The 5th edition ChERM and Levenspiel replaced it.

8. Went to the exam venue the day before, checked lighting, layout, access, etc. Lowered stress on exam day.

9. Good chocolate during the exam.

Maybe I should wait until my results before replying to things I did "right"... I am listing things I did to prepare for this exam.

1. Instead of reviewing concepts like the previous attempts, and stuffing my brain with way too much information I wasn't even going to remember, I focused on working problems from Six-minute Solution, NCEES Practice Problems (1999 and 2003 ed.) and Nandagopal Practice Exam.

2. Indexing: all solved problems, reference books (CERM 6th), charts, steam tables, notes etc. for quick look ups.

3. Familiarize yourself with the calculator, I actually read through the manual and downloaded a copy with larger font from the internet to bring with me to the exam. Bring an extra caluator to the exam.

4. Purchase used text book from second hand book store (I did not like my old textbooks).

5. Bring water, jacket, seat cushion and rulers; pick cooler for a lite lunch and a red bull to reenergize for the second half of the exam.

6. Got to the exam site super early.

7. Using a very sharp razor, removed the kinetics section of the 6th edition ChERM so I wouldn't be tempted to refer to it, since every time I looked at it I felt dumber. The 5th edition ChERM and Levenspiel replaced it.
The 6th edition Kinetics section did suck, so I used other books for one qualitative type question and when I couldn't find what I was looking for I went to back to the kinetics section in ChERM and there the answer was right in the middle of the page...I wasted too much time looking in the other books.

I passed the Chemical Engineering test on my first attempt. I had been working in manufacturing for 11+ years and switched careers last fall to go into consulting. Needless to say, I was a bit overwhelmed at the prospect of having to study again for the first time in over a decade. I hadn't used any mass transfer or kinetics in my career and had forgotten just about everything I learned in those two areas.

I started studying 6 months prior to the exam. I laid out a study plan of all the topics I needed to cover and stuck to it. I studied an average of 10-12 hours per week for the first 5 months. The last month, I kicked into high gear and took more time on weekends to cram. I took a practice exam 6 weeks prior to the test and then another practice exam 2 weeks prior to the test. Because of time constraints, I had to split the practice exams into two 4 hour sessions. This seemed to work okay.

I primarily used the Chemical Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam, 6th Ed. by Lindeburg as my main study guide. I also bought the companion Quick Reference for the Chemical Engineering PE exam. I used this to take notes in and found it to be very useful. I could quickly flip through it to find the formula I needed. If I wanted more detail, it was crossed reference to the main text for easy retrieval. I also bought the companion Practice Problems for the PE exam that went with the main text. As I went through each chapter, I worked all the example problems. Then I would work the problems in the Practice Problems book. I kept all my worked problems in a three ring binder along with notes, useful graphs, reference materials, etc.

I found Lindeburg to be embarrassingly light on kinetics and rather weak on mass transfer as well. I also bought Chemical Engineering PE License Review, 3rd Ed. by Das. This was a better text than Lindeburg, but I got it late in the game and so didn't use it as much. In hindsight, it would have been better to start with Das and use it as my main reference, but everything turned out okay. I also bought the companion books Chemical Engineering PE Sample Exam by Prabhudesai and Chemical Engineering PE Problems and Solutions, 3rd Ed. by Das. The Problems and Solutions book was terrible. It has so many errors and errata in it as to render it useless. Lindeburg was very strong in thermo and heat transfer and I didn't need Das for those.

Other books I bought were Chemical Engineering Solve Problems by Nandagopal. Again, more problems to work and sharpen your skills. The best book I bought was the NCEES Principles and Practice of Engineering Chemical Engineering Sample Questions & Solutions. I used this for my first practice exam. I then re-worked all the problems about a week before the test. Best thing I did hands down.

Other texts I found to be very valuable were my old college texts for Kinetics - Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering, 2nd Ed. by Fogler. I used this a lot for Kinetics - more so than Das or Lindeburg. I also used Mass Transfer Operations, 3rd Ed. by Treybal. I would turn to this text when I wanted more detail on distillation, packed beds, etc. Not as handy as the Kinetics text, but it had its place. I also used Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes, 2nd Ed. by Felder & Rousseau for material balances, combustion reactions, and general data. Lots of handy charts in this book and good conversion factors. I also used Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering, 5th Ed. by McCabe, Smith, and Harriot for general process information. Solid reference. Another excellent book was Plant Design and Economics for Chemical Engineers, 4th Ed. by Peters and Timmerhaus. I had to borrow this one from a colleague. Glad I did. It was much better than the lousy Chem E Econ book I had from college. Lots of good design information on heat exchangers, pumps, etc and cost estimating tools, economics. Good text.

Other texts I used a lot were the Crane 410 Technical Paper for fluids. I also really relied on Cameron Hydraulic Data, 19th Ed. for fluids. These were must haves for the test.

I also bought the Six-Minute Solutions for Chemical PE Exam Problems by Vasquez & Zinn. I worked most of the problems, but found them to be much more difficult/time consuming then what was representative of the test. Good practice though.

On test day I brought all my references in a cardboard box with a removalable lid. I used the lid as a bookshelf and set my books up in it for ready access. This worked great. I had a small, folding dolly to roll everything in from the car. This was also wise.

Books I used during the test: Lindeburg (Quick Reference and Main reference) for Heat Transfer, material balances (combustion), fluids, and Thermo; Das Reference for Mass Transfer, Kinetics, materials, and process safety; Perry's for miscellaneous info; Crane 410 for fluids,;Cameron Hydraulic for fluids; Fogler for Kinetics; Felder & Rousseau for combustion, material balances, and general info; McCabe, Smith, and Harriott for general info; Peters & Timmerhaus for design and economics. I also used my 3-ring binder with notes and references. Particularly useful were formulas for volume of objects, trig & calc formulas (kinetics).

I had all my old texts as back up references (Process Fluid Mechanics by Denn, Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics, 4th Ed. by Smith and Van Ness, Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, 3rd Ed. by Incropera and DeWitt, Process Dynamics and Control by Seborg, Edgar, and Mellichamp). I didn't use these, but they were there as a security blanket. I had a few other miscellaneous pocket books, but again didn't use them.

I took the day before the test off of work. I drove to the exam city the day before and checked out the facility to alleviate any extra exam day jitters. I has a decent meal, soaked in the hot tub, thumbed through the NCEES book again, and went to bed early. I actually slept okay. I had a good breakfast (whole grain cereal w/ milk and banana, and some OJ). I got to the exam site early and checked in. I worked comfortable clothes (layers were key, the room was too hot in the morning and cold in the afternoon). I packed a good lunch (sandwich, carrots, pretzels chips, and water). I had a bottle of water, a banana, and peanuts & raisins in a baggie with me in the exam room. Didn't need them, but they were there just in case.

Exam strategy for me was to look through all the problems before beginning. I worked the easiest ones first and then worked up to the hard ones. I kept a close eye on the clock and made sure I didn't invest too much time in any one problem. If I got stuck I moved on. In the AM I had 4-5 problems I had to guess on. I then checked my work and caught a couple mistakes. In the PM, same strategy. I had to guess on 10-12 in the PM. Whatever time I had left I spent checking work and making sure I had filled in my answer sheet with the answer I had intended.

That's the quick and dirty for what worked for me. Best advice is to work as many problems as possible and become efficient at it. Know your references, tab most used items, and be familiar with your calculator. Support from family and friends is also very important. I couldn't have passed without sacrifices by my wife. She got more than her share of caring for the kids on weekends the last 4-5 weeks while I was really pounding the books. Also missed out on quality time as a couple during the week as I usually would study at night after the kids were in bed. Get Tivo, record all your shows. You can watch them when the exam is over.

Good luck!

I followed much of the advice on this page and passed on the first time as well. I had not worked in the chemical industry since my days as a co-op in school, over 8 years ago, so I had to re-learn everything except for the economics. I started studying about 9 months prior to the exam, mostly because I was stationed in Iraq and could easily study for 1-2 hours a day without distraction. I started with Linedburg's Chemical Engineering Reference Manual 6th Edition, and the problems/solutions manual. It was good for my purposes since all of the problems use tables in the ChERM, so I could make my travels and only bring along the 2 books and a calculator. I worked most all of the problems in the following chapters from the ChERM 6th Edition (in numerical order, not the order I worked them): 14-16, 18-26, 29-34, 43-46, 49-50. I also referred back to the beginning chapters in the book to review some of the math concepts I had forgotten as I worked the problems. I then worked most of the problems in the 6-minute solutions guide, although the title is very misleading. Once I got back to the U.S., I finished the 6-minute solutions book and worked everything Nandaopal's Chem Eng Solved Problems. I finished all of these problems about 10 weeks before the exam. At that point, I made the decision to enroll in the passing zone, since I had no one outside of my books to ask questions to make sure I was on the right track. In hindsight, the passing zone questions were easy next to the problems in the ChERM 6th Edition and the 6 minute solutions book, but the passing zone did give me confidence going into the exam. I also took the NCEES sample exam in two 4 hour segments about 4-5 weeks out. That was probably the most useful review product. About a week before the exam, I wend back and worked 75 of the easiest questions out of the 6 minute soltuions book, which may have been overkill, but I had the time and I did not want to waste any of it. The day before the exam, I took the day off and drove to the exam site, leaving at the same time as exam day to make sure I had an idea of what traffic was like and could find the exam site in the dark. On exam day, I was able to answer all of the questions I knew in the first 3 hours of both sessions. If I got to a question I didn't know, I just skipped it and went back. That only left 3-4 questions unknown in both the AM and PM. I looked for answers for a little bit, but guessed and left the room before the 15-minute lockdown.

Books I brought to the exam and used:

Chemical Engineering Reference Manual 6th Edition-fluids, heat transfer, mass transfer, thermo

Chemical Engineering Reference Manual 5th Edition-kinetics, great tables of integrated equations

Perry's ChE Handbook 7th Edition-materials, process controls, misc. topics

Crane TP 410-fluids tables

Books I brought but didn't use during the exam:

Fogler's Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering-very useful explanations of topics during review, but the ChERM 5th edition had everything I needed during the exam

Felder & Rousseau, Elementary Principles of Chem Eng-Causius-Clapeyron equation, adibatic flame temperture

Wankat, Equilibrium Stage Separations-good explanations of the Fenske, Rachford-Rice, and Rayleigh equations

Geankoplis, Transport Processes & Unit Operations-completely worthless! I had to use this book during my undergrad days (as opposed to McCabe, Smith & Harriot) so I thought that having my notes already written would help during my review. It didn't. If I had a do-over, I would have purchased McCabe, Smith & Harriot, but it didn't hurt me in the end.

Smith, Van Ness & Abbott, Intro to Chem Eng Thermo-used sparingly during my review, I found most of my thermo info from the ChERM 6th edition.

I also used the NCEES exam specifications to make a reference sheet showing what books and pages to go to for each topic, along with one sheet of notes that contained R in various units and the little stuff that always trips me up (like "for exothermic reactions, heat exits the system, sign of q is negative", etc.)

Other useful stuff durng the exam: I used the Casio fx-115, I found the numeric equation solving and integration features very useful. I brought 2 of them, just in case one died. I had a semi-transperent 6" ruler that was very useful for reading pyschrometric charts. I also brought a bottle of water and a granola bar, which went a long way for my comfort.

I know that everyone will not have the time to pursue the same schedule as me, but I do feel that I was well prepared and when I walked out of the room, I knew I would pass. When my passing letter came last week, it just confirmed what I already knew.

I pass after the 4th try. On my final attempt, with little more than two months remaining, I have roughly two weeks per topic. I worked problems from NCEES day and night until I can do them by memory or find the equation at the top of my fingertip.

Things I did right (specifically for ChE – to prepare):
1. I cannot stress enough the cross reference list. I made this up based on the 6 NCEES ChE topics and added to it as I practiced problems.

snipped...
Rudy, please explain about your cross reference list. What did you do?

Thanks

Hi mepe_tn,

The cross reference list are my chemical exam notes. You can download them from this same forum, under "Chemical Exam Notes" or use the link below:

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=5458

They are based to the books that I used to prepare. You could tailor it to the books you are using. I'd recommended starting off with the current NCEES ChE topics list. I don't know if the list has been updated since I took the test, but it would be good to check.

Hi mepe_tn,
The cross reference list are my chemical exam notes. You can download them from this same forum, under "Chemical Exam Notes" or use the link below:

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=5458

They are based to the books that I used to prepare. You could tailor it to the books you are using. I'd recommended starting off with the current NCEES ChE topics list. I don't know if the list has been updated since I took the test, but it would be good to check.
Hi Rudy,

Thanks! Your sense of detail is great. I'll tailor my references to the same format.

Back