Evaluation institutions (Foreign BS)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelambre

pelambre
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I came to the states to get my MS, which i already got last year. But, I have a foreign BS which as you all know, I needs to be evaluated somewhere.

I know that the texas board accepts my MS degree from an accredited unviersity in case my BS degree is not from an accredited univ (non - ABET).

The thing is that if the board accepts my MS degree for application, I won;t get the 1 year of working experience that counts for me being a Master of Science.And of course, I want/need that year of experience to apply for the PE exam.

So I was checking all the evaluation institutions that the Texas board accepts and according to the pdf file they are:

1- CEEPS (maybe the most famous)

2- Foreign Educational Credential Evaluators: Foreign Credential Services of America

3- Spantran Educational Services, Inc.

4- Global Credential Evaluators Jean Ringer

5- Josef Silny and Associates

6- Educated Choices, LLC

I already heard that only 20% of the transcripts submitted to the CEEPS are accepted by it as "equivalent program to an ABET instution", so i think i will not take that one into account.

HAve you guys heard about the other institutions, I just wanted to know if they are more flexible evaluationwise, or if it worths to spent money and time sending the transcripts to any other of these institutions?

Please let me know.

THanks

I have a bachelors degree in Civil Engineering from a foreign country and a masters degree in Environmental Engineering from University of Arkansas, which is an ABET accredited program. I have passed the Civil National PE exam in CA in Oct 2007 but yet to pass the CA special Seismic and Survey exams. So, I do not have my PE license yet. However, due to projects that I am involved in, I have applied for PE licesnes in the states of GA and AZ. Both the State Boards do not require an ABET equivalent 4 year degree, provided one has an ABET accredited masters degree. So, the key is to have graduated from a program that is ABET accredited not the Unviersity. Check the ABET wesite to see if your program is on their list. I did not go through any evaluation for my foreign bachelors degree. In addition, some of the Boards do give you a dual credit for education as well as expereince, such as AZ Board. So, I am claiming both educational credit as well as credit for the research work I did while in school. Hope this helps.

Hey Guys,
I came to the states to get my MS, which i already got last year. But, I have a foreign BS which as you all know, I needs to be evaluated somewhere.

I know that the texas board accepts my MS degree from an accredited unviersity in case my BS degree is not from an accredited univ (non - ABET).

The thing is that if the board accepts my MS degree for application, I won;t get the 1 year of working experience that counts for me being a Master of Science.And of course, I want/need that year of experience to apply for the PE exam.
The statement is flawed. I have my PE in TX and I precisely used my MS degree plus 3 years of experience to sit for the exam. I have a foreign BS degree and a ME degree from a Univ whose BS is accredited. TBPE require that you have a MS degree from a US college whose BS is ABER accredited and 3 years of experience instead of 4 years with only BS degree. I passed the exam in October 2007, now unless they have made some changes to the rules I think you should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The statement is flawed. I have my PE in TX and I precisely used my MS degree plus 3 years of experience to sit for the exam. I have a foreign BS degree and a ME degree from a Univ whose BS is accredited. TBPE require that you have a MS degree from a US college whose BS is ABER accredited and 3 years of experience instead of 4 years with only BS degree. I passed the exam in October 2007, now unless they have made some changes to the rules I think you should be fine.
I used my MS degree plus 2.5 years of experience to sit for the exam in New Mexico. I have my bachelor's from a foreign country. I passed my PE this April.

Back