CA Surveying Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mr. smee

All right! The surveying results should have come in by now. How did everyone do? If you passed, could you please recommend some tips that helped you pass? If you failed, can you offer some advice on where you felt your weak points were? I'll be taking surveying this October and I want this to be the last time I have to visit the Cal Expo unless it's a Halloween party or a Camper/gun show. Just kidding on that last one.

...and by asking for tips that helped you pass/why you failed, I just want general information, please (ie what were some good study guides to use, etc.). I don't want any score invalidation happening to anybody (including me!).

I just got my results yesterday... I passed the 8 hour and seismic after taking this test several times.. YEA!!! Now the only one I have left is surveying.. I agree with you I am tired of driving to Cal Expo. I would also appreciate any tips anyone can offer. It seems like the exam is different every time I have taken it. What have folks done to that helped pass this one? :deadhorse:

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations FC!!!

:beerchug:

Good luck with the surveying exam..

ktulu

I just got my results yesterday... I passed the 8 hour and seismic after taking this test several times.. YEA!!! Now the only one I have left is surveying.. I agree with you I am tired of driving to Cal Expo. I would also appreciate any tips anyone can offer. It seems like the exam is different every time I have taken it. What have folks done to that helped pass this one? :deadhorse:
Congrats and good luck. I am still waiting.

Good job, fingerscrossed! I agree that the test difficulty for surveying seems inconsistent. When I took it in October of '06 (which was the last time I sat for the test--I took a PE sabbatical for a few months), it looked very difficult and I was lucky to answer a handful of surveying questions confidently. Granted, I studied the surveying for only a couple of days prior to the examination. Ergo, the request for tips in my previous posts.

I would say the single best thing you can do is bring a compass, protractor, and scale. Use them. They will answer many questions for you by drawing out the solution. Much easier and less time consuming than trying to figure out what convoluted math equation you might use to solve the problem.

I've posted this recommendation elsewhere but I think it should be repeated because I didn't see anybody else doing it the way I did.

Yes, make sure to take at least a scale with you. I didn't have one but could have used one a few times.

Yes, a scale is a must and the others you can use.

I had a nice summary sheets of useful equations. I also used the quick reference guide to the CERM a lot (for both the general and the survey). Just a few sheets had most of the equations needed for the surveying test. I used the summary pages as I did sample problems and got familiar with the most used equations.

I passed the first time (all three in one sitting), though my specialty was land development. :pASSED2:

Yes, a scale is a must and the others you can use.
I had a nice summary sheets of useful equations. I also used the quick reference guide to the CERM a lot (for both the general and the survey). Just a few sheets had most of the equations needed for the surveying test. I used the summary pages as I did sample problems and got familiar with the most used equations.

I passed the first time (all three in one sitting), though my specialty was land development. :pASSED2:
WOW! thats a home run there...

Back