Rotary and Linear action - Mechanical - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Hanjimono

Rotary and Linear action

Hello! I'm pretty early into studying ME so I apologize if this question isn't too technical!

I saw an interesting wine cellar online that had a top door that utilized first a linear action to drop the door down then a rotary action for access. From what I can tell, the entire outer ring rotates and moves up/down. How is this achieved? Could there be gearing on the outside of this ring with a rotary actuator and then another linear actuator that moves the platform or is there a type of actuator that can achieve both these steps? Any insight into how this door functions would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuIbsTuKFuI

That video looked like 2 separate actuations to me, but can't be sure. It's hard to tell.

I'm sure there's some mechanism and track that you could design to do both in a actuation system. It would probably take some digging to come up with something.

When trying to come up with a challenging motions, I usually like to start by skimming through "507 Mechanical Movements" to give me some ideas. http://507movements.com/ (I have the book, but the animations on this website are really nice)

Edited by jean15paul_PE

Thank you, that site is awesome!

I glanced at all 507 and have a couple ideas how it may have been done. You're right, that video does make it hard to tell what's actually going on.