LMAO trying to calculate mixing of air streams...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Barber

Reaction score
So, when mixing two air streams (say, the return and the outside air) you use either:

1) The equations (which the new handbook doesn't have), or

2) A psychrometric chart to use the lever rule technique (which requires a ruler, which you're not allowed to bring to the test)

This would be laughable if it weren't so serious.

So, when mixing two air streams (say, the return and the outside air) you use either:

2) A psychrometric chart to use the lever rule technique (which requires a ruler, which you're not allowed to bring to the test)

So, in addition to the Mollier diagram tattoo I've been suggesting (say, on the left wrist), NOW I also have to get a sea-level psychrometric chart tattooed on my right wrist, too? :rotflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bring your calibrated fingers.

Are you talking about something like calculating the temperature of two air streams mixing? Can't you just use the mass flows? For example, 100lbm/hr at 50F and 50lbm/hr at 70F so the mixture would be 57F. Or are you talking about something more involved where this technique doesn't work? 

I'm not working in HVAC and none of the practice problems I have done have used the lever rule, presumably because it cannot be used in the new test format.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about something like calculating the temperature of two air streams mixing? Can't you just use the mass flows? For example, 100lbm/hr at 50F and 50lbm/hr at 70F so the mixture would be 57F. Or are you talking about something more involved where this technique doesn't work? 

I'm not working in HVAC and none of the practice problems I have done have used the lever rule, presumably because it cannot be used in the new test format.
Yeah, temperature, humidity ratio, and enthalpy of the mixture would be weighted averages of the incoming streams, and the mass flow rates of those streams are the weighing factors. You're right.

I was thinking of for example if you have the two input conditions in the psych chart and they ask for resulting relative humidity or dew point -- typically I would use the graphical approach (lever rule) to locate the resulting point in the chart and then read the r.h. or the dew point.  Now you have to find dry-bulb and humidity ratio as you described and then locate the resulting point in the chart. Meh, not a big deal, I guess.  

Yeah, temperature, humidity ratio, and enthalpy of the mixture would be weighted averages of the incoming streams, and the mass flow rates of those streams are the weighing factors. You're right.

I was thinking of for example if you have the two input conditions in the psych chart and they ask for resulting relative humidity or dew point -- typically I would use the graphical approach (lever rule) to locate the resulting point in the chart and then read the r.h. or the dew point.  Now you have to find dry-bulb and humidity ratio as you described and then locate the resulting point in the chart. Meh, not a big deal, I guess.  
I've just been using the non-graphical approach because I don't have a choice lol. That's what made the most sense to me with the tools I had at hand while doing practice problems.

Back