The Cooking Thread - Page 8 - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Supe

The Cooking Thread

2 minutes ago, mudpuppy said:

Not cooking per se, but I'm not creating another thread for this.

I'm picking up my venison from the processor this weekend.  I also bought a new electric smoker.  I'm planning to make some venison jerky.

Any recipes and/or tips?

Marinate in soy sauce, worcestershire, hot sauce (something thicker/pasty, like sriracha), minced garlic, brown sugar, mustard powder, onion powder, paprika, ground chili, celery salt, and cayenne.  You can sub everything after the brown sugar with an off-the-shelf barbecue rub.  

I also like a marinade of soy sauce, honey, garlic, hot peppers or hot sauce, lime juice, and grated fresh ginger.

One other one I like is marinading in garlic, pepper, brown sugar, and your bourbon of choice.

photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif

Baking a quiche tonight.  Hope I don't fuck it up!  :D

21 hours ago, JayKay PE said:

Baking a quiche tonight.  Hope I don't fuck it up!  :D

Welp, I lied.  Came home, chopped up the leeks, and my body visibly shuddered when it thought about rolling out the pie crust.  Instead made turkey bacon + eggs + salsa + mexican cheese + hot sauce burritos for a quick kinda protein-filled dinner.

Then had dried mango as dessert.  Because I don't even know what my life is anymore.

• Haha 1

Made chickpea ratatouille from Run Fast, Cook Fast, Eat Slow. It says chickpeas or tempeh so I went with chickpeas.

20191208_123407.jpg

• Like 1

Made chili yesterday with tomatoes and jalepenos we grew in the garden and venison I harvested in the back yard.  Besides the spices the only ingredient we didn't "make" were the kidney beans.  Might have to try to grow those next year.

• Like 1

Threw my eye of round roast in the crockpot for like 12-hours on Friday (turned it on before I went to work and got back to the apartment around 6:30pm).  Used my chopped up leeks, onions, and potatoes as the base, threw the meat with a rub on top (I cut the roast in half lengthwise since it was still kinda frozen), and made a 'stock' of Marsala wine + beef broth + a gravy packet.  Came out really good!  Was able to shred the whole thing when I came home.  Realized I didn't add carrots, so I microwaved a couple cups, threw them in, and left it on low for another 20-minutes as I made rice.

Meat has gotten a little dry from subsequent re-heating, but considering it was such a lean piece of meat, I am def going to do this again!

We had friends and family over for dinner on Saturday, and made spiced braised short ribs with creamy potatoes. We served it with roasted broccoli and kale with lemon and coriander, a side salad, and some of my homemade sourdough bread. Dessert was brownies.

It was bomb!

What kind of spice we talking here?

1 minute ago, Supe said:

What kind of spice we talking here?

Coriander seeds, fennel seeds, ground cumin (the recipe actually asked for cumin seeds but I didn't have them), and cinnamon. Then broth and white wine vinegar were also involved.

• Like 1

Good sausage mixture, wouldn't have pictured it on short ribs.

6 minutes ago, Supe said:

Good sausage mixture, wouldn't have pictured it on short ribs.

It was really tasty! I don't make short ribs (or heck, even red meat) that often, but was very happy with how it turned out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LyceeFruit said:

@Supe you changed your avatar! I was v confused about who was talking lol

It's still Bobby.

On 12/9/2019 at 12:48 PM, Supe said:

It's still Bobby.

Damnit Bobby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, FLBuff PE said:

Damnit Bobby.

That boy ain't right.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 2:59 PM, LyceeFruit PE said:

Oven fried buttermilk chicken

Doesn't compute...

9 hours ago, Ble_PE said:

Doesn't compute...

Almost like Air Fried....

Made some venison chili last night with meat straight from the processor.

We did a ham for Christmas Eve in the oven and the recipe we followed said to cook it @ 325F for 2 hours. After 2 hours it was still 75F in the center, so I cranked it up to 350F for another 45 minutes and we got to 145F. It ended up being pretty dry.

Whats the best way to cook a ham? We have another one sitting in the fridge waiting to be cooked. Would a crock pot help it stay moist?

We picked up a WOK after christmas,  so far we have just made some omlets in it - anything really good we should try?  I have always wanted one, but never really looked into what the hell I should make with it now that I have one?

9 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

We picked up a WOK after christmas,  so far we have just made some omlets in it - anything really good we should try?  I have always wanted one, but never really looked into what the hell I should make with it now that I have one?

Pancit and Thai Fried Rice are some of my favs in the wok.

Made this yesterday for New Year's!

https://www.ranchogordo.com/blogs/recipes/black-eyed-pea-stew

It took a while, but was SO worth it. I used Rancho Gordo's black eyed peas (I recommend any and all of their dried beans) and followed the recipe exactly. It turned out SO SO SO good. I'd make this again in a heartbeat when I have an afternoon to devote to the soaking and cooking time. Luckily, we are left with four servings of leftovers. Yay!

Anyone else do black eyed peas as a tradition for good luck for the new year?

I made bone broth. And then took half of a sip of it yesterday and was like "why did I think I'd drink this?!" so I'll freeze it and use it in soup bases lol