The Cooking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess who thinks my white bean chili is the jam?

50a920d37228ac8a1649fb3f20aa5f30.jpg
You?

Going thru leftovers in the fridge (hence huge salad). Highlight here in the fried fish tho lol

Boyfriend caught a perch so I filleted it and fried it up. My filleting skills have improved but still have work to do

20191013_122252.jpg

That looks pretty damned good!  I'd be tempted to throw the chicken over the charcoals for a bit just to get the skin nice and crispy.

Cooked salmon this weekend so boyfriend could try it so bestie & I could figure out what we're making for friendsgiving.

He ate it but it isn't his fave so I think I'll cook lamb - idk, we did a roast last year and I'd like something more budget friendly since I mistakenly listened to my coworker and got a very spendy piece of meat.

Also roasted a chicken using the Run Fast Eat Slow recipe.

And then he made us chicken noodle soup using local purple carrots so everything is grey and looks kind of unappetizing but it's delicious 

Woke up on Monday after a flight from hell/driving from Chicago to Indy after an ultra-delayed/potential cancellation and realized I had off (whaaaaaaat?).  Decided I needed to use up a good amount of potatoes, due to a semi-moldy one lurking at the bottom of the bag causing some to begin to turn.  Made a huge batch of potato soup with some celery + onions + head of garlic, idk 3lbs of potatoes?  6c. water + a few of those chicken bouillon cubes.  Came out adequate.  I always forget to skin the potatoes, and since it's just me feeding myself, I don't care if the emulsion mixer leaves a couple behind.

Def good for cold weather/froze the majority.  Took a big batch of chicken chili from the freezer, will prob make some rice for it tomorrow.  Meal prep is hard when you're only prepping for one person...Means I can't get too creative since I end up cooking in batches for a family of five instead of a family of me.

Pro tip for living in the midwest:  do not under any circumstances connect through Chicago.
Yeah, original flight was through Detroit.  The only return flight was through Chicago and was United.  My dad booked it, got $200 off with points, but it was difficult.  I'm def avoiding Chicago airport unless that is my final destination.  T_T

Meal prep is hard when you're only prepping for one person...Means I can't get too creative since I end up cooking in batches for a family of five instead of a family of me.
I totally agree. When I used to do it, i was eating the same thing the whole week because it is difficult to cook in small batches. 

I can't stand eating the same thing every day of the week, which is why my husband and I cook dinner pretty much every night, and usually end up with leftovers for lunch the next day (or if soup/chili, freeze the rest for another dinner in a different week). I need variety in my meals, and also like that when I'm getting variety, I get a good balance of different proteins, vegetables, and grains. Eat the rainbow, kids!

I totally agree. When I used to do it, i was eating the same thing the whole week because it is difficult to cook in small batches. 
I don't mind eating the same thing throughout the week for lunch or dinner.  It's when I have to eat the same thing throughout the week for lunch AND dinner.  Hell, I used to have the same lunch for a good 6-7 years when I was in highschool/most of college:  Peanut butter sandwich.  Apple.  Water.

Pyrex containers or mason jars and freeze. Or half the recipe. My freezer is ridiculous most of the time due to this method but totally helps the variety and/or laziness

My daughter has been begging me to make my slow cooker tortellini soup, but it's soooo bad for you:

• Italian Sausage - I usually peel links and use bigger chunks
  • Onion
  • Carrots
  • Garlic
  • Italian seasoning
  • Chicken bouillon cubes
  • Vegetable broth or stock
  • Half and half or heavy cream
  • Spinach
  • Cheese tortellini 
  • Corn starch
I brown the sausage in a pan with the garlic, and slightly under cook the tortellini ahead of time.  Everyone in the pot except the starch, spinach, and tortellini, which go in at the end (starch with water pre-mixed to thicken).  Salt and pepper as needed.  I could eat that **** all day.  You can use beef bouillon and broth instead of chicken/vegetable.

The heavier on the sage/fennel/caraway seed the sausage is, the better it is, IMO.  If you have a good/coarse grind chicken sausage, that works OK too.  Fine grinds don't work very well and give it an odd texture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soup!

Our go-to's right now are the following:

Back