Material/Study tips for October 2019 , ME TFS PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy W.

Reaction score
Hey Team, looking for a starting point in preparing for the ME thermal & fluids exam, whats a good approach to getting better with the hydraulic & fluids equipment topic?

Any good practice exams or problems you all would recommend. I have the merm, ncees 2016 TFS practice exam, 6min solutions, and a few reference binders with tabbed notes i put together.

Looking for trusted sources to work problems and something to help gain a better understanding of hydraulics and fluid equipment for the exam. 

Hey Team, looking for a starting point in preparing for the ME thermal & fluids exam, whats a good approach to getting better with the hydraulic & fluids equipment topic?

Any good practice exams or problems you all would recommend. I have the merm, ncees 2016 TFS practice exam, 6min solutions, and a few reference binders with tabbed notes i put together.

Looking for trusted sources to work problems and something to help gain a better understanding of hydraulics and fluid equipment for the exam. 
Sign up for Dr. Tom's Classroom and call it a day. You can thank me later. :rotflmao:

Planning to take TFS this October. I am still Gathering resources; I got the MERM and Reference Handbook from NCEES. I have noticed Handbook is a good with most of the information available since the handbook will be the only reference available in 2020 CBTs.

I signed up for Testmasters but dont have a good feeling about their material. 

will keep updating.

Best of Luck!

Planning to take TFS this October. I am still Gathering resources; I got the MERM and Reference Handbook from NCEES. I have noticed Handbook is a good with most of the information available since the handbook will be the only reference available in 2020 CBTs.

I signed up for Testmasters but dont have a good feeling about their material. 

will keep updating.

Best of Luck!
Why don't you have a good feeling? I'm considering testmasters live online class and will have to pay out of pocket, so I'd like to make sure I don't waste $1500 lol.

I will also be taking TFS in October. I have the MERM, tabbing it as I go, MERM Practice Problems book, Quick Reference book, an NCEES practice exam, and just ordered 6 minute solutions. I like your idea of already prepping yourself for a retake in 2020. Tbh I think it might make things easier - open book tests in college always sounded great, but they were way harder!

Why don't you have a good feeling? I'm considering testmasters live online class and will have to pay out of pocket, so I'd like to make sure I don't waste $1500 lol.

I will also be taking TFS in October. I have the MERM, tabbing it as I go, MERM Practice Problems book, Quick Reference book, an NCEES practice exam, and just ordered 6 minute solutions. I like your idea of already prepping yourself for a retake in 2020. Tbh I think it might make things easier - open book tests in college always sounded great, but they were way harder!
DO NOT GO FOR TESTMASTERS!

Their Book is more like a summary, with very few equations and no details on chapters, it has photocopied tables attached into it (for $1500! really??). the videos are just explanation of theory and solved questions. I am so pissed that I actually paid $1500 for that stuff.  

I actually called for a partial refund since I have their book and guess what? they don't refund.

Go for Dr. Toms Classroom, its worth the money. He is very organized and actually designed to take an open book test.

CBT can be easy with searchable reference but for open book test you will have solved question to look at. Its a trade off between flipping pages and looking at solutions. 

Best of Luck!

DO NOT GO FOR TESTMASTERS!

Their Book is more like a summary, with very few equations and no details on chapters, it has photocopied tables attached into it (for $1500! really??). the videos are just explanation of theory and solved questions. I am so pissed that I actually paid $1500 for that stuff.  

I actually called for a partial refund since I have their book and guess what? they don't refund.

Go for Dr. Toms Classroom, its worth the money. He is very organized and actually designed to take an open book test.

CBT can be easy with searchable reference but for open book test you will have solved question to look at. Its a trade off between flipping pages and looking at solutions. 

Best of Luck!
Unfortunately I don't have time for Dr Tom's, as it's a 20 week course and the exam is in 14 weeks. Did you do the Live Online or OnDemand class for testmasters?

Unfortunately I don't have time for Dr Tom's, as it's a 20 week course and the exam is in 14 weeks. Did you do the Live Online or OnDemand class for testmasters?
Dr. Tom's suggested time is 20 Week. you can finish it in 10 or 8 weeks too. I have the OnDemand Test masters. 

Dr. Tom's suggested time is 20 Week. you can finish it in 10 or 8 weeks too. I have the OnDemand Test masters. 
Looks like I'm going to go with School of PE live online. It's only $1,190 and their pass rates are very high.

Back