Cut scores - Page 2 - APR 2019 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
ATDoel

Cut scores

18 hours ago, GeoDude said:

Same here :( 

FL-Geo: AM 26: PM 22

Sorry to hear. Keep your head up little bro (GeoDude). You got this next cycle and you will make the GeoDude family proud.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, kcg5 said:

Civil: Geotech: 48/80 (AM: 26, PM: 22)

If it makes you feel any better, I've taken the exam 4 times and finally passed this time. My score breakdown for the previous exams are:

Civil: Geotech:

October 2017:   47/80 (AM: 27, PM: 20)

April 2018:         46/80 (AM: 21, PM: 25)

October 2018:   45/80 (AM: 25, PM: 20)

Don't get discouraged (easier said than done, I know) but keep on going. Don't quit, just keep taking it until you pass!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

For Civil Transpo, I started a post with April 2019 cut scores. Highest I have seen so far was 49/80. Based on the tough PM depth section, my guesstimate is 50-52, which is in line with other civil disciplines.

On 5/15/2019 at 11:54 AM, Str. Entrepreneur said:

We received a fail score of 51 in structural in another thread. Which means the str cut score was probably 52. That’s on the lower side of the 52-56 we were told to expect. This exam was difficult by most admissions. 

This feels right, maybe a 52-53. There was a cliffside forming around 49-51 from the reported failures. WRE reported a 54 from a coworker, and I know some people want to dismiss it out-of-hand, but I don't really agree with that approach and I think the 54 should be considered.

With that said, I really want to caution people about focusing on the cut scores. I can understand this as an academic exercise, or an attempt to get a Pyrrhic victory, but it can't mean anything more than that. The cut score doesn't matter; you can see my thesis here. If anything, knowing the cut score for last session's test could hurt you in the next attempt.

The NCEES diagnostic already shows you your relative strengths and weakness by subject area. You can actually use that information that to help focus your studying for the next attempt.

But, how would knowing this sessions cut score help you? I'm not asking rhetorically, I want to know why you think it will help? The cut score doesn't guide you on what subject to study. Perhaps you could to make the argument it provides guidance on the intensity of the studying for the next attempt? Okay great, except that if you got a 49 and you think that the cut score was only at 51, then you might not put as much effort into studying for the next exam as you should, maybe just a 'few' more hours than the last time. That's the wrong approach!

The cut score changes with every exam in every session. You can't plan for the last war, you have to plan for the next one. You need to study for the next exam as if the cut score is 80/80, not low 50's. Planning for the low 50s is how you get to repeat this whole dreaded exercise yet another time.

the "you" in the above isn't directed at anyone in particular.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ninjaneer13 said:

If it makes you feel any better, I've taken the exam 4 times and finally passed this time. My score breakdown for the previous exams are:

Civil: Geotech:

October 2017:   47/80 (AM: 27, PM: 20)

April 2018:         46/80 (AM: 21, PM: 25)

October 2018:   45/80 (AM: 25, PM: 20)

Don't get discouraged (easier said than done, I know) but keep on going. Don't quit, just keep taking it until you pass!

Especially if each successive test counts down by 1 point, oh my god.... Congrats on passing! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JustTryingToHelp said:

Please don’t pass around misguided information. If he got a 68% with 49/80 questions right, then the cut score for construction is either 50 or 51 out of 80. 

People are on here to try to find help so let’s help them by giving good information

Only @Baconator knows the cut scores. 

• Like 1

SC Civil WRE AM:21 PM:17.   37/80

Sad thing is that I got a 47/80 first attempt with no study.I did school of PE on demand. The AM study portion was good but afternoon was not that helpful I think. I got a 0 out of 6 on both wastewater and water. I got a 100 on all hydrology stuff.

I hear the EET school is much better. Any thoughts?

Is the pass/fail line determined by state or nationwide?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CharlieHotel47_CE_WER said:

NCEES determines the pass/fail. It's done nationally. It makes comity and reciprocity easier.

Any state could override a fail, but it's never happened before. I know that Georgia (and Alabama?) give bonus points for being a disable vet, but I don't know how that works in practice. Such a grading scheme would be make transferring a license problematic.

19 minutes ago, CharlieHotel47_CE_WER said:

SC Civil WRE AM:21 PM:17.   37/80

Sad thing is that I got a 47/80 first attempt with no study.I did school of PE on demand. The AM study portion was good but afternoon was not that helpful I think. I got a 0 out of 6 on both wastewater and water. I got a 100 on all hydrology stuff.

I hear the EET school is much better. Any thoughts?

there's lots of threads about review courses, too. I cannot speak for WRE but for SE Vertical, EET was amazing!

32 minutes ago, jasonah said:

51/80 Civil:Geotech

The cut score was 54.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Baconator said:

The cut score was 54.  

Nah... 52 at most.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:58 AM, JustTryingToHelp said:

Please don’t pass around misguided information. If he got a 68% with 49/80 questions right, then the cut score for construction is either 50 or 51 out of 80. 

People are on here to try to find help so let’s help them by giving good information

I'd say 50-51 is more misguided than 54-57, though determining cut score is such a pointless effort. What makes your information better than anyone else's?

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 11:49 PM, Stardust said:

I'd say 50-51 is more misguided than 54-57, though determining cut score is such a pointless effort. What makes your information better than anyone else's?

Because it’s based on the score people from Texas got. The cut scores are determined nationally so it’s the same in all states. So based on that Texas score, you can interpolate and get the ball park cut score. And determining cut score helps the people who failed see how close or far they are from passing.

So since you seem so passionate about this, what makes you think 54-57 cut is more realistic based on that Texas score on here? (49/80 with a 68% I believe)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustTryingToHelp said:

Because it’s based on the score people from Texas got. The cut scores are determined nationally so it’s the same in all states. So based on that Texas score, you can interpolate and get the ball park cut score. And determining cut score helps the people who failed see how close or far they are from passing.

So since you seem so passionate about this, what makes you think 54-57 cut is more realistic based on that Texas score on here? (49/80 with a 68% I believe)

I'm saying you are in no better position to say other predictions are misguided information. No one knows interpolation is even valid, or if it's linear. Also, your data is extremely limited.

Anyways, you're entitled to your opinion.

• Like 1

Just now, Stardust said:

I'm saying you are in no better position to say other predictions are misguided information. No one knows interpolation is even valid, or if it's linear. Also, your data is extremely limited.

Anyways, you're entitled to your opinion.

So you can’t explain yourself... at least I was able to provide something that got me to my conclusion. like I said before, I’m here because I genuinely want to help. I was in the same boat with everyone after the exam and this site helped me with my nerves during the waiting process. 

So the least I can do is give good and educated information based on information that’s provided by other people on here. You can help by not providing bad ones. Not trying to hurt your feelings, just trying to make sure people on here gets good info

• Like 1

Agree to disagree, and the feeling is mutual.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JustTryingToHelp said:

So you can’t explain yourself... at least I was able to provide something that got me to my conclusion. like I said before, I’m here because I genuinely want to help. I was in the same boat with everyone after the exam and this site helped me with my nerves during the waiting process. 

So the least I can do is give good and educated information based on information that’s provided by other people on here. You can help by not providing bad ones. Not trying to hurt your feelings, just trying to make sure people on here gets good info

Good info or useless info? If those who failed knew the cut score would they have passed?  If anyone who failed wasn't aiming for 100% they deserved to fail.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cvanwy02 said:

Good info or useless info? If those who failed knew the cut score would they have passed?  If anyone who failed wasn't aiming for 100% they deserved to fail.

Good info... if the cut score is say 52, if someone got a 50/80 then they know they are on the right path and just need to make minor adjustments. As oppose to some getting 38/80 who has to make major adjustments. 

So yes, people do find this helpful, hence this form was created...

Edited by JustTryingToHelp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JustTryingToHelp said:

Good info... if the cut score is say 52, if someone got a 50/80 then they know they are on the right path and just need to make minor adjustments. As oppose to some getting 38/80 who has to make major adjustments. 

So yes, people do find this helpful, hence this form was created...

That's what the NCEES diagnostic is for.  Cut score should not change how you study.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cvanwy02 said:

That's what the NCEES diagnostic is for.  Cut score should not change how you study.

Well at least we can both agree ncees’s diagnostic sheet should guide them towards areas they are weak in

• Like 2