Is an online review course worth spending?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shabby10

Reaction score
Hello,

As the title says is an online review course that necessary to get ready for a PE exam? I have got just two books for now:

Graffeo power systems book, Theodore Wilde machines book, and other codebooks. I am okay with purchasing reference books for the exam than spending 1200$ on a review course. I just skimmed through the topics in both the books and it seems pretty solid. This will be my first time attempting in October. Any guidance is appreciated.

I can’t vouch for either side specifically, but in general I would say it depends. Do you practice in your area of study on a regular basis? If not, how long has it been since you’ve learned the material (in college, for example)? Do you do well in “classroom” type settings, or do you prefer to learn things on your own?

In my case, I wasn’t able to sign up for a review course regardless of all my answers to the above, because no one offered one for my exam (Computer Engineering). Despite this, I passed on my first try; I’ve always learned well on my own, so it probably wasn’t necessary for me even if it was available.

As always, YMMV. Others on here might be able to recommend a good review course for the power PE.

From a very happy person to get good results today I can not recommend enough The ElectricalPE review course by @Zach Stone, P.E.

299 for 1 month is so  so so so so worth it.  Plan a month and cram like no other.  Do it early and if you need more do a second.

I passed without a review course.  I used the books you list along with Engineering Pro Guides.  I had a number of other books with me that I ultimately didn't use.  NEC is an absolute must.  I submit you will not pass without it.

From a very happy person to get good results today I can not recommend enough The ElectricalPE review course by @Zach Stone, P.E.

299 for 1 month is so  so so so so worth it.  Plan a month and cram like no other.  Do it early and if you need more do a second.
Hi @ST_CA_EE Thanks for the mention, and happy to hear you passed the PE exam with the help of our online program. The link to our website is www.electricalpereview.com. We have a large amount of free content, including a free trial of our online review course for anyone interested. 

Hello,

As the title says is an online review course that necessary to get ready for a PE exam? I have got just two books for now:

Graffeo power systems book, Theodore Wilde machines book, and other codebooks. I am okay with purchasing reference books for the exam than spending 1200$ on a review course. I just skimmed through the topics in both the books and it seems pretty solid. This will be my first time attempting in October. Any guidance is appreciated.
Just passed Electrical Power PE today. I can honestly say try at least Electrical Online PE review classes by Zach Stone, worth every penny. 

If you pass, then yes it is worth it. First time, I tried studying myself. Failed 42/80. Second time,  I did the GT Course (wouldn't recommend) and Zach Stone's course. I passed. I spent aprox. $1400 on everything. To me, taking both (and purchasing books) was definitely worth it because I passed. Of course, my company reimbursed me but it's up to you. 

Just passed the April 2019, first try, without a class.  I do have a strong utility background.  My primary study material was Engineering Pro Guides and the standard 4-5 references that everyone uses.

A class forces you to dedicate the study time and allows you to ask questions.  It also costs $$$ and may not be the most efficient use of time.  Why spend a 3 hour lecture on XYZ if you know the topic inside and out.

If you have the time and money, sign up for one.  It wont hurt.  If you're uncertain, try running through a practice test without any major studying and see how well you score.  If you score higher than 50 to 60 percent on first try, you're probably in good shape.

If it was  a matter of up to 500-800 bucks whether on extra books or tests or on a course, I thought about it saying if I pass then it is not worth sweating over 500-600 bucks. I thought that much can keep me from being PE if I lost the MOJO the 2nd time around. This type of thinking always provided me my answer on what I should do. I know sometimes it is hard shelling out 1200 or 1800 bucks on a course. But look around and you can do stuff in your budget.  Sign up for a few account opening bonuses and think this extra hassle paid for your additional expenses.  With this thinking, in last week leading up to exam, I bought those 3 hazardous code manual for $150. 

Start studying early, in a few months you know how you are doing. If you feel confident enough, you may not need any class. It is not necessary to sign up for a class to pass as no one can prepare you for the actual exam anyway. But extra practice, sometimes even able to get 3-4 questions right from whatever means is the key in passing.   

I have qualms with NCEES not thinking about the expenses people have to go through, for e.g. they can get away with NESC, NFPA70E and 3 hazardous standards and it can save people 400 dollars. If you can look up through NEC then you should be able to look up through anything, if it is just matter of referencing and finding what code applies. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of my coworkers went to Testmasters in Houston and passed.

I took the online course and did not pass.

I will say I would have done much worse without Testmasters, but I saw alot of material that I wasn't prepared for. 

Evaluating a different online prep course currently.

Hello,

I passed the exam 1st attempt with self study.

Primary study material was NCEES sample exam, Graffeo, Wildi, Power Systems Analysis (Charles Gross), NEC Handbook 2014 and Mike Holt (Electrical exam Preparation, useful to practice NEC questions) . I then later added three extra practice exams by graffeo, Wasim Ashgar (Study guide for PE) and PPI book by camara ( I bought the second edition its cheaper. I did not study from this book but used it as a reference. it has a good index to help search for things). 

At the very end I bought the Engineering pro guides sample exam, this is a very good exam with well designed questions I would say with difficulty level similar to NCEES.

Halfway through my studies I started looking at the free videos available from the online courses, I found that in general they can be of use but basically cover the same material in the self study guides so instead I decided to invest in more the extra practice exams and reference books. None of them as far as I could tell  cover the code books enough.

Whether or not you take a review course you still have to buy the reference books and code books, so I would suggest buy the reference books (starting with graffeo and filling the gaps with wildi and the ncees sample exam) and start studying if you then feel like you are getting stuck or don't know what to study or focus on buy the review course.

whichever route you take have an all in mentality 

Good Luck

Just passed Electrical Power PE today. I can honestly say try at least Electrical Online PE review classes by Zach Stone, worth every penny. 

If you pass, then yes it is worth it. First time, I tried studying myself. Failed 42/80. Second time,  I did the GT Course (wouldn't recommend) and Zach Stone's course. I passed. I spent aprox. $1400 on everything. To me, taking both (and purchasing books) was definitely worth it because I passed. Of course, my company reimbursed me but it's up to you. 

Totally second this! I took the course by @Zach Stone, P.E. for 2 months and I think its the best decision made!!

Thanks for the mention @Phenomenon083, @Stephen2awesome, @samsab

Glad to hear you enjoyed our online program at www.electricalpereview.com and that it helped you pass the exam. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Georgia Tech online class was absolutely critical for me, I doubt I would have passed without it. I'd highly recommend an online course, especially if you can get reimbursed. Even if not, I think it's worth it just to increase your odds of passing.

I'm a civil engineer by education and a photovoltaic designer by experience, so there were a lot of gaps I needed to fill in. I passed April 2019 the first time around.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am debating whether to take School of PE or Zach Stone PE online course..Any thoughts?

I've seen online courses work out very well for relatives and friends. Older relatives took some time getting used to it, but once they did, they loved it. 

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am debating whether to take School of PE or Zach Stone PE online course..Any thoughts?
Definitely @Zach Stone, P.E.  Not sure if he will post his students pass rates but from I heard from all its definitely going to be high. I just took his course for 1 month and benefited a lot. Just go for it.  

Back