April 2019 Civil - WRE Results - APR 2019 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
MTEngineer

April 2019 Civil - WRE Results

Passed in MT, but interested in figuring out the cut score.  Is it a different cut score for every discipline?

I passed in Oregon! This was my second attempt, failed in October with 45/80. Highly recommend taking the EET review course if you failed. 

• Like 3

Not WRE but Geotech. Passed -2nd attempt!  Highly recommend EET for WRE in particular. Dr. Islam is very helpful and a great guide to get this done.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tahoe15 said:

I passed in Oregon! This was my second attempt, failed in October with 45/80. Highly recommend taking the EET review course if you failed. 

I actually took the WRE EET and Breadth EET classes. I knew what my weakest subjects were going to be in the morning and felt okay in the morning portion and then I got to the afternoon portion and saw things that we never covered in the EET classes. But maybe it was just me though and I didn't study those things as thoroughly as I should have.

1 minute ago, aspiringWRE_PE said:

I actually took the WRE EET and Breadth EET classes. I knew what my weakest subjects were going to be in the morning and felt okay in the morning portion and then I got to the afternoon portion and saw things that we never covered in the EET classes. But maybe it was just me though and I didn't study those things as thoroughly as I should have.

No I agree with you - I felt the afternoon was way heavier on environmental than the practice test or 6-minute solutions. I felt great about the morning, but the afternoon was so much harder than I expected.

• Like 2

I passed so I don't know what my score was, but here is what I thought I scored.

AM 30 answered confidently, estimated 28 correct.  5 50/50 guessed, estimated 2 correct.  5 completely guessed, estimated 1 correct.

PM 17 answered confidently, estimated 16 correct. 10 answered less confidently, estimated 7 correct.  13 answered with low confidence or guessed, estimated 4 correct.

I felt that was a "Safe" estimate which put me at 58.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, aspiringWRE_PE said:

There was definitely a couple of questions that weren’t covered and I totally had to guess on. I felt that the majority of the afternoon questions were covered by Nazrul but trickier. 

To be honest, I just know the first attempt I self-studied and failed and this attempt I took EET and passed. 

Edited by Tahoe15
  • Like 2

Passed first time yay! -- onwards to the next 2 exams....

Guessed on 1 in morning section, guessed on 8 in afternoon section; thus I was expecting to get around 60-62/80, accounting for bad guessing and tricks questions.

Took no classes. Only bought/did practice exams and skimmed over the CERM/tabbed it. ~50-60 hrs of study. It helps to be straight out of college for test taking. 

I thought the morning was difficult and the afternoon wasn’t bad at all. I was only confident on about 25 in the morning but 36-37 in the afternoon. I took it in Texas and passed with a 73, so my estimate was pretty close.

Passed first time, pretty surprised. I didn’t feel confident in the morning, but the afternoon was worse. Didn’t have time during the exam to analyze if how many I was confident in, but probably 20-25 in the morning and 15-20 in the afternoon. 

I studied for about 20 hours in the couple weeks leading up to it (had some family issues that prevented more preparation), mostly practice tests. I’ve always been good at standardized tests though. 

24 minutes ago, Jda_14 said:

Passed first time, pretty surprised. I didn’t feel confident in the morning, but the afternoon was worse. Didn’t have time during the exam to analyze if how many I was confident in, but probably 20-25 in the morning and 15-20 in the afternoon. 

I studied for about 20 hours in the couple weeks leading up to it (had some family issues that prevented more preparation), mostly practice tests. I’ve always been good at standardized tests though. 

if you only answered 45 questions right, the PE Gods must have blessed you with another 10+ right answers!  Looks like the cut score was over 54.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, ATDoel said:

if you only answered 45 questions right, the PE Gods must have blessed you with another 10+ right answers!  Looks like the cut score was over 54.

I don’t think that 54 is quite as reliable as it’s  being treated. People seem to be quoting it across threads, but it’s secondhand info from a coworker who may have been trying to save some face. 

• Like 1

To those who passed WRE, has anyone else had success with prep courses besides EET? I have failed twice now and did EET both times.  I am glad EET has been great for others but something about it just isn't working for me.  TIA

On 5/14/2019 at 10:26 AM, MTEngineer said:

No I agree with you - I felt the afternoon was way heavier on environmental than the practice test or 6-minute solutions. I felt great about the morning, but the afternoon was so much harder than I expected.

My thoughts as well. I passed(FL), and I believe I nearly aced the morning section which probably saved my butt on the afternoon environmental questions. 

I went into the test feeling unsure on the W/WW section and I left with dread thinking that section(s) may of doomed me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, civilMC said:

To those who passed WRE, has anyone else had success with prep courses besides EET? I have failed twice now and did EET both times.  I am glad EET has been great for others but something about it just isn't working for me.  TIA

Try taking test exams. Learning material doesn't help as much as taking real exams and being able to find answers quickly (you don't even need to know the answers, just where to look for the answers) and thinking on limited pressure/time.

Edited by Nare

5 hours ago, civilMC said:

I didn't take any prep courses - just the NCEES practice test and 6-minute solutions (which were almost pretty much a waste of time) and a ton of time in the CERM. I think the reason I felt rocked by the afternoon was so much environmental stuff that wasn't in the CERM, but I can say confidently that knowing the CERM inside and out is the reason I passed.

5 hours ago, civilMC said:

How many practice tests did you do? 

I loaded up on all the Pe Prepared LLC books, Goswami, Gruttadauria, Civil PE Practice and a few other ones. 

I would feel confident doing 5 tests, and then the 6th test would throw me for a whirl as it was topics/style of question I haven't seen in the CERM or the other 5 tests. 

Even found some online PE prep made by a forum member here IIRC, which ended up being overkill, but still gave me some tips on how he solved certain problems. 

What category did you do weak in? 

I even brought a hydeaulics/hydrology textbook that I tabbed to hell which had some good problems to do. 

17 hours ago, john813 said:

How many practice tests did you do? 

I loaded up on all the Pe Prepared LLC books, Goswami, Gruttadauria, Civil PE Practice and a few other ones. 

I would feel confident doing 5 tests, and then the 6th test would throw me for a whirl as it was topics/style of question I haven't seen in the CERM or the other 5 tests. 

Even found some online PE prep made by a forum member here IIRC, which ended up being overkill, but still gave me some tips on how he solved certain problems. 

What category did you do weak in? 

I even brought a hydeaulics/hydrology textbook that I tabbed to hell which had some good problems to do. 

I also had all of the PE prepared books this time, as well as the NCEES practice exams and the two EET practice exams.  I created an index of every type of practice problem I had so that i could quickly locate a similar problem.  In all honesty, I totally thought I nailed this round.  I probably did 5-6 practice exams. 

I did a little bit better the second attempt than my first when comparing diagnostics but still not good enough.  I will look into the other books you mentioned.  Didn't do great this round in wastewater, ground water and OCF which I strangely did great at in my first attempt. 

I am starting to think maybe I don't even need to do another practice course. Maybe just some fresh materials and practice exams will help me.  For reference, I got 42/80 last year and 50/80 this year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, civilMC said:

I also had all of the PE prepared books this time, as well as the NCEES practice exams and the two EET practice exams.  I created an index of every type of practice problem I had so that i could quickly locate a similar problem.  In all honesty, I totally thought I nailed this round.  I probably did 5-6 practice exams. 

I did a little bit better the second attempt than my first when comparing diagnostics but still not good enough.  I will look into the other books you mentioned.  Didn't do great this round in wastewater, ground water and OCF which I strangely did great at in my first attempt. 

I am starting to think maybe I don't even need to do another practice course. Maybe just some fresh materials and practice exams will help me.  For reference, I got 42/80 last year and 50/80 this year.

That sounds like a good plan to me. For me that helped a lot, especially when I lost confidence in my review course. 

Just stay away from Six Minute Solutions. Takes six minutes on some problems to copy the answer and decode how they got to a certain step lol. 

Just be aware Goswammi does have some questions with mistakes, but IIRC I think someone posted some errdata online. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, john813 said:

That sounds like a good plan to me. For me that helped a lot, especially when I lost confidence in my review course. 

Just stay away from Six Minute Solutions. Takes six minutes on some problems to copy the answer and decode how they got to a certain step lol. 

Just be aware Goswammi does have some questions with mistakes, but IIRC I think someone posted some errdata online. 

I second the "Six Minute Solutions" being garbage. They just don't match up with the actual exam questions.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 8:20 AM, SoilDR said:

Not WRE but Geotech. Passed -2nd attempt!  Highly recommend EET for WRE in particular. Dr. Islam is very helpful and a great guide to get this done.

Took and passed Structural on my second attempt. Took EET AM and passed. H&H was my weakest topic based on the analysis from my first attempt. I really liked Dr. Islam’s approach to teaching. I really think he was one of the best teachers they had on the AM topics.

I honestly think I could pass the Water Resources PE if he taught all the depth stuff...