PE License Experience Requirments

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muath

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I passed my PE Exam last October and I am still working on my NCEES documentation to apply for NC Board License.

I worked out of the US for 4.5 years and more than a year in the US, Below a summary of my experience.

I am wondering how many years of experience under a licensed PE are required?
I called NC board multiple times and I got a different answer each time. Last time the lady said half of the required experience (2 years out of 4) should be under a licensed PE?

Can anyone please confirm that?

image.png

I can't confirm anything for you for sure, but this is one of their 'official rules' documents. http://www.ncbels.org/rules/Chapter_89C thru 2017 Session Law.pdf

On page 8, it gives the paragraph about experience requirements. I does not list a specific number of years under a PE vs not. It makes it pretty clear that it is 'subjective' because they state 'experience satisfactory to the board'.

I wish I could be more help, but I can't find any additional written explanation of their experience requirements. I would recommend calling the board again and getting the name and email of who you are talking to. When they give you an answer about the experience requirement, write a follow-up email that summarizes the answer they gave you. End the email with 'please let me know if any of this is incorrect'.

Just ask them. They will answer. From what they accepted from me was 4 years of relevant work under PE supervision. You'll need references from 3 or 5 PEs. I suggest do it through NCEES so you can be a MLE. NC is my initial license. 

Back