Reference Material for odd ball topics

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy167

Passed PE
Reaction score
EB has links to topics such as ground resistance testing, instrument transformers, lighting protection , surge protection.  Many people are printing the reference material and putting it in their binder. 

Do you think this really helps? the topics are so vast and hence the type of questioning could be just about anything. I'm thinking your practical industrial experience is a key here more than a reference material per say. What are you thoughts? 

If it was a book on above topics that would be a different thing, as book has to cover a lot of details. But user manuals from companies like fluke, megger, GE ...I don't know how much that can help in answering PE exam questions. 

I remember asking myself a lot of the same questions you are asking about the PE exam while I was studying for it, and for this one I personally decided that if I thought a reference *might* be useful, I took it with me. Better safe than sorry.

Truth is, you’re not going to be able to find a straightforward answer to this question anywhere, not just because the exam is different every administration, but also because the “completeness” of your reference material really isn’t the point of the exam. The exam exists mainly to test your problem-solving skills and your engineering judgement; as such, you can reasonably expect that there will be some questions on the exam that you won’t have a good reference for, and will need to take an educated guess.

Statistically speaking, you may be better off concentrating on the subjects that are likely to have more questions. But that’s just my take; how you decide to go about your reference material planning is up to you.

Back