Is Wildi too much?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy167

Passed PE
Reaction score
Wildi is a great book. It covered concepts but then immediately it is followed by examples which is what we need for PE because PE is more going to be about solving problems. First few chapters are great but when it gets into power electronics then I find Wildi goes on and on and I ended by skimming through. What is your take on this? 

I read it cover to cover, highlighted important areas, and added over 100 tabs. I was very glad I did. When there was a question about a specific type of motor on the exam, I knew just where to go. That said, machines was my weak spot as I never took a graduate or undergraduate class on the topic.

I think the key with Wildi is familiarity. The index is not detailed so you need to know where the information you may need is.   

I am doing almost the same as @ellen3720. I haven't and will likely not read every section but I would say reading through the meat of the book is probably worth it. The "meat" being xfmrs and motors/generators. The transmission and distribution section as well as harmonics also seem like they're worth reading.

The Electric Machinery Fundamentals by Chapman is a good alternative or compliment. The chapman books has actual worked problems and goes over mostly the same stuff wildi does, it will probably be my primary reference for the related questions 

Back