Exam Re-Take Limit? California...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiliki

Reaction score
Hey guys - Anyone know if there is a maximum re-take limit for P.E. exam takers in California? I tried googling and searching the board website. Couldn't find a clear, direct answer.

Before I call the board and get placed on a long hold, wanted to check in and see if anyone may have the answer here?

Hey guys - Anyone know if there is a maximum re-take limit for P.E. exam takers in California? I tried googling and searching the board website. Couldn't find a clear, direct answer.

Before I call the board and get placed on a long hold, wanted to check in and see if anyone may have the answer here?
The reason the Board's website doesn't provide an answer to this, is that limiting examination attempts is a foreign concept to California...at least in terms of engineering, surveying, and geology.  There is a state statute that specifically prohibits a limit unless there is cause.

The reason the Board's website doesn't provide an answer to this, is that limiting examination attempts is a foreign concept to California...at least in terms of engineering, surveying, and geology.  There is a state statute that specifically prohibits a limit unless there is cause.
Does this effectively mean there is no limit?

Does this effectively mean there is no limit?
I think so, as in there is no limit.

@CAPLS Kinda related, I have another question.. does California put an expiration date on the passing of the 3 exams required for its Civil PE (NCEES 8-hour, Seismic, and Survey)?

As in one would have to take an exam that they already passed again just because not all 3 are passed within a specific time frame?

I think so, as in there is no limit.

@CAPLS Kinda related, I have another question.. does California put an expiration date on the passing of the 3 exams required for its Civil PE (NCEES 8-hour, Seismic, and Survey)?

As in one would have to take an exam that they already passed again just because not all 3 are passed within a specific time frame?
Not at this time.  The only thing that could come up related to this is the NCEES 16-hr Structural Engineer exam.  NCEES has a council policy that both portions of that exam (Yes, it is one exam) must be passed within 5 years of the date from when the first portion is passed.  So far, that has not been an issue...

Hey, I'm new here and actually can be considered an "old timer" considering I obtained my PE (Civil) way, way back in the early 2000's.  I wanted to see how the exam has changed both in terms of format as well as the qualifying/application process.  Believe it or not I have some peers that finished school same time as me who to this day are STILL taking the exam.  So I think that might answer your question as to limits.  We're talking about people who have now already worked in the industry for 20+ years. 

Back