License with troubled past

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bprit

Reaction score
Im starting the process getting the things together that I need to get my license. I only have a few more months before my 4 years is done and I have already passed my PE. I come to the criminal record section and feel completely defeated. As a youth I got in a lot of trouble including a couple of dui's and a possession charge, no felonies. Have I completely screwed myself out of getting my license? Has anyone else experienced trying to get a license with things like this? Any advice would greatly appreciated excluding people telling me how crappy I am for my past indiscretions. Thanks

Im starting the process getting the things together that I need to get my license. I only have a few more months before my 4 years is done and I have already passed my PE. I come to the criminal record section and feel completely defeated. As a youth I got in a lot of trouble including a couple of dui's and a possession charge, no felonies. Have I completely screwed myself out of getting my license? Has anyone else experienced trying to get a license with things like this? Any advice would greatly appreciated excluding people telling me how crappy I am for my past indiscretions. Thanks
You sound like the kind of guy I want to party with.

Fill out everything truthfully and send in.   You may need to appear in front of the state board.   You’ll probably be okay. 

As a youth I got in a lot of trouble including a couple of dui's and a possession charge, no felonies. Have I completely screwed myself out of getting my license?
Not necessarily. The state for which you are requesting license matters a lot. Some states (read: board members) are more restrictive than others. Twenty years ago Pennsylvania was basically a zero-tolerance state because of one or two board members. Things have since relaxed quite a bit.

Fill out everything truthfully and send in.   You may need to appear in front of the state board.   You’ll probably be okay. 
:plusone:

Yes, definitely fill out the form truthfully! If you lie on your application then you are pretty much screwed for life in every state. As @P-E stated, you may need to go before the board and explain how you've changed for the better and how those sorts of things will never happen again; you may need additional character references.

I am in Texas
Same! I see your post is from December, have you already started the process? I read though the section of law that pertains to the subject and from what it seems like you are okay given that you don't fall into certain categories.

Latest posts

Back