Engineer Boards
​ ​
Sign in to follow this  
Mher

PE Structural Practice Exam Questions

Hi all

I'm scheduled to take the exam this month, and there are a few practice exam questions that I was unclear about, and was hoping to get some help with:

My first question is regrading Question 522. Can someone please provide some information about prestressing strand patterns? Perhaps some other examples that I can check out? Just enough to be able to handle a similar question on the exam. 

001.png

0002.PNG

See if this helps. This is an excerpt from Prestressed Design by Arthur Nilson. Its an old book but very nice.

Nilson Deflection Excerpts page 3.jpg

To me this seems like one of those things where steel (prestressing strands in this case) is provided in areas where tension develops. In this overhung beam, tension occurs at the bottom in the simply supported portion and occurs at the top in the cantilevered portion. Accordingly the strand is placed in areas of tension to resist it. Therefore, option (A) best matches this description. This is my understanding. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, structural2552 said:

To me this seems like one of those things where steel (prestressing strands in this case) is provided in areas where tension develops. In this overhung beam, tension occurs at the bottom in the simply supported portion and occurs at the top in the cantilevered portion. Accordingly the strand is placed in areas of tension to resist it. Therefore, option (A) best matches this description. This is my understanding. 

agree

2 hours ago, structural2552 said:

Also agree.

Thank you so much guys, that was tremendously helpful

• Like 1