Jump to content
Engineer Boards
​ ​
leggo PE

FIFA World Cup 2018

Recommended Posts

Is anyone else following the World Cup this time around?

I've been catching bits of games here and there, and generally following it, even though the States royally messed up and didn't even qualify.

Just watched the second half of the Argentina-Croatia game on my lunch break and wow, Argentina deserved to lose 3-0. Though I didn't know they were quite that bad at team in general.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
16 hours ago, leggo PE said:

Is anyone else following the World Cup this time around?

I've been catching bits of games here and there, and generally following it, even though the States royally messed up and didn't even qualify.

Just watched the second half of the Argentina-Croatia game on my lunch break and wow, Argentina deserved to lose 3-0. Though I didn't know they were quite that bad at team in general.

 

Argentina, for the past few years at least, have quite a number of internationally recognized stars but they never seem to gel as a team.  It was the same at the last world cup as well.  Getting beat 3-0 by Croatia is a huge upset to say the least.  Disappointing to see the general poor conduct of the Argentine team in the second half of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, leggo PE said:

I've been catching bits of games here and there,

Same here. Trying to watch some with my daughter. 

I'm looking forward to the Women's World Cup next year. The US will be there. I think my daughter will be more interest in that. She's a fan of Alex Morgan. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ramnares P.E. said:

Argentina, for the past few years at least, have quite a number of internationally recognized stars but they never seem to gel as a team.  It was the same at the last world cup as well.  Getting beat 3-0 by Croatia is a huge upset to say the least.  Disappointing to see the general poor conduct of the Argentine team in the second half of the game.

Yeah, I roughly follow the international friendlies and watched the World Cup 4 years ago. What I didn't really realize was that apparently Argentina is on their fourth coach in as many years, which can't be good for the team when it comes to the players actually playing as a team. But it is sad to see player like Messi just not have the support to really shine. And they were on their backup goalie, who clearly was not up to snuff in the game yesterday in more than one way. Of the three goals given up yesterday, I'd say one was well-deserved and an amazing shot, one was goalie stupidity, and the third was a great save followed by a shutdown of defense and a Croatian player in the right place at the right time (aka poor luck for the Argentine goalie).

Anyway. There are always a few teams that don't make it out of the first round that are expected to. Looks like Argentina will probably be among them this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leggo PE said:

Yeah, I roughly follow the international friendlies and watched the World Cup 4 years ago. What I didn't really realize was that apparently Argentina is on their fourth coach in as many years, which can't be good for the team when it comes to the players actually playing as a team. But it is sad to see player like Messi just not have the support to really shine. And they were on their backup goalie, who clearly was not up to snuff in the game yesterday in more than one way. Of the three goals given up yesterday, I'd say one was well-deserved and an amazing shot, one was goalie stupidity, and the third was a great save followed by a shutdown of defense and a Croatian player in the right place at the right time (aka poor luck for the Argentine goalie).

Anyway. There are always a few teams that don't make it out of the first round that are expected to. Looks like Argentina will probably be among them this year.

First goal was definitely goalie error, second was a great play, third was forced from Argentina being so far behind the game and having to commit everyone forward in an attempt to score.  Other than the first, I'd say the other two goals were earned by Croatia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how about Mexico beating Germany? I thought that was game was really good.  I have more interest now in the world cup than years past.  mostly because my daughter has gotten more interested in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@akwooly that game was awesome! Well, I actually didn't see any of it, but I watched some clips and that was an awesome upset! I say that as a fan of Germany, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Caught some fun games on TV over the weekend! Especially as I'm a fan of Germany, and was happy to see them bounce back. Also, Switzerland! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is this the sporting event where Kentucky is relevant? or is that basketball?

  • Haha 2
  • fudgey 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, leggo PE said:

Caught some fun games on TV over the weekend! Especially as I'm a fan of Germany, and was happy to see them bounce back. Also, Switzerland! 

That Germany vs Sweden game was intense.  Talk about a last minute goal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now let's see what Argentina can do today...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Germany's out, wowza! But Mexico is advancing! Crazy times, but that's what makes this fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF Germany?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, akwooly said:

WTF Germany?

In 2/3 of the group games, they were not clicking at all. Not sure what's up there. Normally, Die Mannschaft is really cohesive. But not so, when it really counted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the trend of current champs washing out of the WC continues.  Sad to see Germany leave the tournament, I'm a big fan of their style of football.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, leggo PE said:

In 2/3 of the group games, they were not clicking at all. Not sure what's up there. Normally, Die Mannschaft is really cohesive. But not so, when it really counted.

sad to see Germany out before the knock out round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, akwooly said:

sad to see Germany out before the knock out round.

Me too. But if anyone were to advance instead of them, I'm happy it's Mexico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Argentina, Portugal, and Spain all eliminated.  What a crazy weekend!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But Brazil has made it through. I was rooting for Mexico, and they just didn't have enough despite playing so hard and representing themselves pretty well. Brazil might go and add another trophy to their case...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was rooting for Mexico too. Bummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a heartbreaking loss in literally the last minute for Japan. I don't think they would have won in extra time, but I definitely thought it was going to that extra time! Anyway, it was a hard fought win by Belgium against a team that definitely was a much tougher opponent than I think anyone was expecting. And credit where credit's due, to the the Belgian coach for the two subs he made that directly affected the game by scoring goals 2 and 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The boy who cried wolf!

I imagine it really does hurt to have your ankle stepped on by the cleats of your opponent, where it's basically unprotected. It's a shame, too, because he really is a very dynamic player who plays with a really fun, impressive style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×