Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
Guest PE Career

Salaries??

Guest PE Career

What kind of salaries do you guys expect after passing the PE?? I am curious what the typical ranges are as I prepare to ask for a raise. I have 5 years exp.

21 minutes ago, Guest PE Career said:

What kind of salaries do you guys expect after passing the PE?? I am curious what the typical ranges are as I prepare to ask for a raise. I have 5 years exp.

I got bumpkiss.

The range fully depends on where you're located, what you do, etc. What's your field of engineering? Public or private? There's a lot to take into account.

I don't expect anything. A PE license isn't required or common for the field I am in (machine design). I took the PE as a personal challenge and to potentially open up future opportunities.

Bossman might throw a little cash at me though.

Edited by Kloeb222

I may have to switch to another company for a raise after getting my PE.

I haven't heard of any automatic pay bumps for getting a PE. However, it can open doors to higher paid opportunities down the road.

5 minutes ago, sambisu said:

I haven't heard of any automatic pay bumps for getting a PE. However, it can open doors to higher paid opportunities down the road.

I did it for the sake of future, it may open other doors for me.

Guest NJ PE

My company gives an automatic dollar an hour pay raise (equal to $2,000 a year approximately)

Guest Guest

My company gives an automatic raise but nothing crazy. My friend's last year was about 4%. I just passed :) so I'll see if mine is the same soon.  FYI I work for a civil/municipal engineering and consulting company so they really push everyone to get their PE.

2 hours ago, engineeringforfun said:

The range fully depends on where you're located, what you do, etc. What's your field of engineering? Public or private? There's a lot to take into account.

This. I will get $0 more as a PE. I don't need a PE and will be the same salary with or without it. (Fed Gov employee) But if I ever go to the Private sector it will be good.

Once my PE license number comes in, I'll be getting a 7% increase.  (I work for a state agency)

2 hours ago, vhab49_PE said:

I got bumpkiss.

Ditto, unless you count the congrats lunch at a local bar.

Bumpkiss is the gift that keeps on giving!

3 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

Bumpkiss is the gift that keeps on giving!

And what a gift it is.

Echoing what others have said... I heard we don't get a big raise (I'm at a nationwide consulting firm with ~6,000 employees).  I assume the value is further down the hallway from the doors that open from having your PE, like project management, office management, etc which comes with more responsibility. 

Guest kevin1234

If you don't ask for a raise I think you are hurting yourself. It seems most people try to underpay engineers relative to the amount of value they add to a company. I'm planning on asking for at least 10% to match another offer I was given by a different company. Even if you are in a field that doesn't really require a stamp it makes you look better then your colleagues who don't have a stamp.

Guest NC_PE

I am a Civil (Land development) who has been with my company since graduation (5 years). I just recently passed my PE exam on the first try. I am currently making around 55k but I am anticipating a large raise considering I haven’t received one in 2 years. I work for a smaller company (<100) in a small market but we are a well established firm. I am crazy to ask for 70k? Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, Guest NC_PE said:

I am a Civil (Land development) who has been with my company since graduation (5 years). I just recently passed my PE exam on the first try. I am currently making around 55k but I am anticipating a large raise considering I haven’t received one in 2 years. I work for a smaller company (<100) in a small market but we are a well established firm. I am crazy to ask for 70k? Thoughts?

Where are you located?

2 hours ago, Surf and Snow said:

This. I will get $0 more as a PE. I don't need a PE and will be the same salary with or without it. (Fed Gov employee) But if I ever go to the Private sector it will be good.

This. It all depends on your industry and situation. I will get $0 with a Mech PE because all our work is eletrical/power/controls. If I went back to natural gas, I could ask for, but not be guaranteed, 5%. Mech PEs just aren't really in demand, especially since these utilities often have civil/structural components and the lead civil could still stamp those mechanical construction drawings in the absence of a Mech PE.

3 hours ago, Surf and Snow said:

That's the thing. I get a $2,000 pay bump, but it's because i'm in consulting for Civil and our stamp is necessary and i become that much more marketable.

Your being paid what your company thinks they can get away with paying you.

Its not good, bad, moral, or injust.  It just is what it is.

Research online.  If appropriate, ask for money.  But ultimately if you arent willing to leave, they arent going to be willing to pay.

Companies do not pay for loyalty.   They do pay to steal other companies employees though.

8 minutes ago, Szar said:

Companies do not pay for loyalty.   They do pay to steal other companies employees though. 

Truf. This is how to survive. It's not the 70s, 80s, or 90s anymore.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Szar said:

^this. Very very well said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Surf and Snow said:

You should be able to at least get reimbursed for the exam with something like an on the spot award. Also, it should now allow you to apply to higher GS positions that don't actually require a PE but is mandatory based on the position description.

17 hours ago, jperry1221 said:

Once my PE license number comes in, I'll be getting a 7% increase.  (I work for a state agency)

What state agency is this?  Obviously I need to work there instead of the state agency I'm currently at.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1