The musical instrument thread - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
squaretaper PE

The musical instrument thread

Any fiddlers in EB land? I've been taking lessons for a year, my first instrument I chose as an adult. Was beat into piano as a kid, but I'm not smart enough to read two clefs at a time. I'm running a nice Guarneri "Il Cannone" clone, with Zyex strings, love it!

If you're ever in the Sacramento area, you need to catch One Eyed Reilly: https://oneeyedreilly.com/

Really fun Celtic rock band, they gig around town almost every week. The fiddler is my violin instructor. He's freaking amazing.

Ever see Gaelic Storm or Lindsey Sterling? That's is some good string playing right there. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Unfortunately (maybe?) for me, not I.

Mainly because I was forced into piano as a young 7 year old, and that only lasted a few months. I quit when the piano teacher refused to stop banging on the back of the piano bench (she claimed she was doing it to keep the beat; it was incredibly annoying), after I asked politely. The jerk started my brother (who had started lessons at the same time as me) on a metronome the very next week, but I stuck to my principles and never took another lesson!

I did play the xylophone in third grade. That was fun!

Just now, knight1fox3 said:

Ever see Gaelic Storm or Lindsey Sterling? That's is some good string playing right there. :thumbs:

I have every album of Sterling...

But I'm also listening to Korn in my empty corner of the office so take my opinion for what its worth... :)

29 minutes ago, leggo PE said:

I did play the xylophone in third grade. That was fun!

Xylophone!!! Leggo, you just get cooler and cooler every day.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Szar said:

I have every album of Sterling

Lindsay is great! I also really like the "Vitamin String Quartet." They play their covers pretty straight, which I like.

• Like 1

I have an L.R. Baggs piezo pickup installed, so I'll mess around with some synth sounds.

Cello and string bass here, though the string bass is pretty rusty at this point. I've thought of picking it up again, but never have. The cello comes out occasionally. 

1 hour ago, Ramnares P.E. said:

Lindsey is very good but I'll take Samvel Yervinyan over her any day.

Truf.

1 hour ago, csb said:

Cello and string bass here, though the string bass is pretty rusty at this point. I've thought of picking it up again, but never have. The cello comes out occasionally. 

Cellos are so cool! For me, I wanted to keep the music somewhat portable and fiddle while camping.

I played the cello for a year...the teacher and I didn't get along so I didn't continue.  Mr snick played cello up through high school...expensive European cello (his parents paid for teacher to bring one home on the plane after an international concert thing) has been sitting in the closet the last 16 yrs...has come out less than a half dozen times.  It needs to find a new home.  

1 minute ago, snickerd3 said:

I played the cello for a year...the teacher and I didn't get along so I didn't continue.  Mr snick played cello up through high school...expensive European cello (his parents paid for teacher to bring one home on the plane after an international concert thing) has been sitting in the closet the last 16 yrs...has come out less than a half dozen times.  It needs to find a new home.  

Lady Squaretaper has some wrist issues (we're both learning violin) so I suggested cello. Too bad you're not close enough for a test drive!

They seem to be popular now. Totally anecdotal, but I have a couple coworkers who only got into cello because they wanted to play the Game of Thrones theme song.

For engineering nerdular nerdance, you can download back copies of the Catgut Acoustical Society journals: http://www.catgutacoustical.org/journal/

VERY interesting engineering/physics/scientific insights into stringed instrument design and history. Pretty neat! I flip through these during work breaks.

I played the violin through high school, but I always wanted to convert to fiddle playing. Now I don't play anything, although I did pick up a few tunes on the concertina for Talk Like a Pirate Day purposes.

• Like 1

@Dleg The fact that you even *have* a concertina puts you in another valence level of cool.

16 hours ago, Dleg said:

I played the violin through high school, but I always wanted to convert to fiddle playing. Now I don't play anything, although I did pick up a few tunes on the concertina for Talk Like a Pirate Day purposes.

WDnLdh.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's about the right time frame.

• Haha 1

Piano when I was itty bitty.

Trombone when I was in middle school.

Picked up the banjo a few years ago, but couldn't keep it going as my interests were pulled toward mini MS1 and mini MS2.

19 hours ago, Ramnares P.E. said:

Lindsey is very good but I'll take Samvel Yervinyan over her any day.

I liked LS before she tried to get too rock-ish with her albums.

• Thanks 1

In the office I usually have Hilary Hahn or Itzhak Perlman playing on my noise-canceling headphones. People love to have conference calls on their cell phones IN the cubicles here, it's really awesome.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Master slacker said:

Taylor Davis > Lindsey Stirling

This.