The musical instrument thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piano when I was itty bitty.

Trombone when I was in middle school.

Picked up the banjo a few years ago, but couldn't keep it going as my interests were pulled toward mini MS1 and mini MS2.

Played Trumpet through middle & high school. Stopped my senior year due to time commitments with other things (aka my future wife). I'm pretty sure my parents still have my trumpet somewhere in the stacks of **** they have in storage. I'd really hate to see what condition it's in since it's been over 20 years since it's been used...

Mrs Dex played flute and piccolo for the same time frame. She also played piano for a while.

We bought a piano a few years ago with the intention of teaching mini-dex #2 but it ended up being another piece of furniture for junk to be stacked on top of. I think it ended up at my parents house when we moved.

MiniDex #1 is taking drum lessons and has an electric drum set in his room. He tried out for the school band but didn't make the cut (they could only take one for drums and the spot went to a kid 2 years older and much better).

Minidex #2 was taking guitar lessons for a while but her instructor was a flake and ended up "postponing" half of the lessons which never ended up happening. Disappointing because she really liked the lessons and the instructor. Currently trying to find another decent instructor for her.

I have always wanted to learn how to play bass guitar. I tried playing my daughter's 6-string, but couldn't quite get the hang of it.

I have always wanted to learn how to play bass guitar. I tried playing my daughter's 6-string, but couldn't quite get the hang of it.
For someone who is not "naturally" musical, I was constantly discouraged for years because I wasn't "getting it." As an adult learner, it was 100% worth it to get private lessons from my local music school. Took a few months to find the right instructor, but once I did it was a sea change. I'm still rubbish, but I really enjoy it.

I have zero musical ability -

My eldest kid plays percussion (drums) but did a ton of piano as a kid, apparently its a great learning tool to transition into percussion / drums.

Youngest son plays the French Horn in the HS Band - he was a trumpet player in middle school until he figured out the HS had 40+ trumpet players and 3 French horns / melaphone so he spent the summer before HS taking French horn lessons so he would be "higher up" in the HS band - he is a straight up "opportunist"

Youngest son plays the French Horn in the HS Band - he was a trumpet player in middle school until he figured out the HS had 40+ trumpet players and 3 French horns / melaphone so he spent the summer before HS taking French horn lessons so he would be "higher up" in the HS band - he is a straight up "opportunist"
Nice! I made the same instrument choice in HS as well due to relatively the same factor. I still have a French Horn in the basement with a lot of dust on it. LadyFox plays flute, piccolo, and piano in a local community band. 

Back