Wind question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineer22

Reaction score
Brittle veneer like masonry would be easiest to break when there is which one of the following conditions?: excess drift, uplift, low frequency vibration?

I feel like low frequency vibration would be the only out of plane situation. drift wouldn't be dynamic, uplift would be "in plane"

I feel like low frequency vibration would be the only out of plane situation. drift wouldn't be dynamic, uplift would be "in plane"
not sure I agree with that.  Depends on the amplitude of the vibration.  How does one "drift" a masonry wall?

not sure I agree with that.  Depends on the amplitude of the vibration.  How does one "drift" a masonry wall?
I don't understand what you're not agreeing with. I was intending to say that I believe vibration is most likely. 

Thinking more about this, excess story drift maybe in plane could cause cracking due to shear. And if your building is overturning/uplifting a piece of veneer, maybe the shear would cause cracking in the other direction, still in plane.

As David Connor commented on another problem, a lot of these questions you have been sharing are very vague and cause a lot of unnecessary speculation. I feel like an actual study guide would be more helpful in studying for the exam

Last edited by a moderator:
If the question relates to seismic loadings then unquestionably the answer is inter-story drift.  Vibration doesn't necessarily harm structures, it's the displacement that cracks/harms structures.  The problem with low frequency vibration is that if the excitation frequency is at the natural frequency of the structure which may cause resonance which leads to amplified magnitude along with amplified displacement

Brittle veneer like masonry would be easiest to break when there is which one of the following conditions?: excess drift, uplift, low frequency vibration?
easy, excess drift

'excess,' which implies some form of failure mode.

perhaps the syntax is this sample problem is erroneous.

Back