April 2018 PE Exam - Page 4 - Power Exam Sub Forum - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Mem_Elect_Engr

April 2018 PE Exam

For future reference:

"We adopt a code the year after it is dated. As such we will begin using the 2018 NFPA 70E with the April 2019 PE exam.  

To be clear the 2018 PE Power exam will use the 2015 NFPA 70E."

3 hours ago, wvengineer said:

FYI I just received a response from NCEES and tomorrow's test will use the 2015 version of 70E.  This thread was making me nervous because I only have the 2015 version so I emailed them yesterday morning.

2 hours ago, BirdGrave said:

Crap, I guess I get to hope that outside of the approach distances that not much has changed between 2015 and 2018.  Or that other questions won't have the correct answer from 2018 as a wrong choice in the multiple choice selection.

Since approach boundaries have changed somewhat I searched out an online link of 2015 data.  For anyone who needs it.

https://www.powerstudies.com/sites/www.powerstudies.com/files/NFPA 70E-2015 Arc Flash and Shock Boundaries Poster_0.pdf

If someone has a more complete set of the 2015 data feel free to share.  I know I'll be appreciative :).

37 minutes ago, wvengineer said:

For future reference:

"We adopt a code the year after it is dated. As such we will begin using the 2018 NFPA 70E with the April 2019 PE exam.  

To be clear the 2018 PE Power exam will use the 2015 NFPA 70E."

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS POST!!!

Thank you for verifying. Note to ALL: I just compared that PDF of 2015 approach distances with the table in my 2018 NFPA 70E and THERE ARE DIFFERENCES. I will be printing and bringing that PDF to replace whats in my 2018 70E. The test should specify which year book in the question.

Differences:

Restricted Approach boundary:

15.1 kV to 36 kV: (2015: 2'7")(2018: 2'9") NOTE: Both of these were choices on the 2018 NCEES practice exam #135! The 2015 was the correct choice.

46.1 kV to 72.5 kV (2015: 3'3")(2018: 3'6")

72.6 kV to 121 kV (2015: 3'4")(2018: 3'6")

500 kV to 550 kV (2015: 11'10")(2018: 11'8")

Good last minute save to know this. I got #135 wrong on the practice exam because of this difference! If you have a 2018 70E print that PDF from 2015! It looks like you WILL NEED IT!

Good luck to us all!

-Jay

SFGGF

43 minutes ago, Surf and Snow said:

IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS POST!!!

Thank you for verifying. Note to ALL: I just compared that PDF of 2015 approach distances with the table in my 2018 NFPA 70E and THERE ARE DIFFERENCES. I will be printing and bringing that PDF to replace whats in my 2018 70E. The test should specify which year book in the question.

Differences:

Restricted Approach boundary:

15.1 kV to 36 kV: (2015: 2'7")(2018: 2'9") NOTE: Both of these were choices on the 2018 NCEES practice exam #135! The 2015 was the correct choice.

46.1 kV to 72.5 kV (2015: 3'3")(2018: 3'6")

72.6 kV to 121 kV (2015: 3'4")(2018: 3'6")

500 kV to 550 kV (2015: 11'10")(2018: 11'8")

Good last minute save to know this. I got #135 wrong on the practice exam because of this difference! If you have a 2018 70E print that PDF from 2015! It looks like you WILL NEED IT!

Good luck to us all!

-Jay

SFGGF

I'm actually kind of annoyed that what would be in practice the correct answer would, in theory, be counted wrong for the exam if say #135 was on the actual exam, but it's their test and they make the rules.  I think the biggest issue I have with it is that the question just says "NFPA 70E" and doesn't specify an edition.  I would hope that a circumstance like this is reasonable grounds to consider throwing a question out.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, BirdGrave said:

Hi TWJ PE, I'm taking the School of PE Power course as well (my last lecture video is tonight!).

May I ask, along with the School of PE notes what resources did you find most helpful during the exam?

School of PE notes I thought were pretty good. That and Graffeo were my go to (you can search and see all my references). Obviously, NEC, NESC, and 70E are a must too.

23 minutes ago, BirdGrave said:

I'm actually kind of annoyed that what would be in practice the correct answer would, in theory, be counted wrong for the exam if say #135 was on the actual exam, but it's their test and they make the rules.  I think the biggest issue I have with it is that the question just says "NFPA 70E" and doesn't specify an edition.  I would hope that a circumstance like this is reasonable grounds to consider throwing a question out.

Agreed. Very frustrating. I got it wrong on the practice exam because I choose 2'7" because that's what it said in my 2018 70E code book and that's all I had. I have now printed that 2015 table I will bring that and my 2018 70E book and read any questions very carefully. Hopefully the real exam tomorrow will specify the year, like they did in the practice exam. The 2018 NCEES Practice Exam does indeed specify the edition year in question #135: "In accordance with the 2015 edition of the NFPA 70E, the approach boundary for...", so at least it's not ambiguous. Having both the 2018 and 2015 correct answers both shown as options does seem a little wrong to me. Hopefully they dont have other questions that are changes because I dont have the whole 2015 edition. :(

Edited by Surf and Snow

6 hours ago, knight1fox3 said:

BTW, if anyone is interested, I can share a very entertaining post-exam recap (power specific) from a previous examinee to help clear the air with a bit of humor.

Share, share!!! It never gets old!! :)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Surf and Snow said:

Agreed. Very frustrating. I got it wrong on the practice exam because I choose 2'7" because that's what it said in my 2018 70E code book and that's all I had. I have now printed that 2015 table I will bring that and my 2018 70E book and read any questions very carefully. Hopefully the real exam tomorrow will specify the year, like they did in the practice exam. The 2018 NCEES Practice Exam does indeed specify the edition year in question #135: "In accordance with the 2015 edition of the NFPA 70E, the approach boundary for...", so at least it's not ambiguous. Having both the 2018 and 2015 correct answers both shown as options does seem a little wrong to me. Hopefully they dont have other questions that are changes because I dont have the whole 2015 edition. :(

I must have recalled incorrectly, perhaps from another practice exam.  I don't have the text of #135 in front of me at the moment.  That being said, listing what is now in practice the right answer as an incorrect answer in the test seems disingenuous to me.  But there's not much one can do other than bring both sets of information.  Hopefully there won't be another scenario like that tomorrow.

Edited by BirdGrave

Here it is! Enjoy! And don't let this recap demoralize any of you. As bad as this particular examinee thought things were post exam, he received a passing score in the end. :thumbs:

On 4/11/2011 at 2:51 PM, bingcrosbyb said:

EE - Power. "You sunk my battleship."

Preparation Time/Materials: 250 total hours. 5 textbooks, prep coursework notebook, 2 notebooks of graduate class material, calculators, snacks, rolling suitcase.

Money: ~$1,550.

General Observations: Arrived at my site 30 minutes prior to report time. Noticed that many others had literally libraries and libraries of books. Someone had a giant wagon with bungie cords holding all of the books together. Others just had a single piece of paper. Wild. I randomly started thinking of a national geographic special with narration by Morgan Freeman on PE test taking habits. I needed that laugh to clear my head.

AM Session: Felt the AM session was great. Only ended up with 6-7 that I didn't have a single solid answer or couldn't find it in my reference. I finished slightly early and checked only some of my work.

PM Session: Total unadulterated bloodbath. Couldn't seem to concentrate enough to find the equations I needed. Calculator was spitting out answers that were out of this world. Saw stuff that I barely covered in droves. About 2-3 hours into the afternoon, my brain felt like it had been through a dishwasher and I started hopping around from question to question. Not good. I will be lucky if I got a quarter to half right. I might as well have taken another discipline in the afternoon or gone to work. A monkey may have been able to do better.

Final Thoughts: As I left the exam area, I felt numb, dumb, and a little crushed. I felt like I blew the morning session out of the water. Then the PE got off a torpedo as I was heading to collect my stamp, promotion, and better life. I'm not very good at guessing and doing the math in my head all weekend I kept envisioning a percentage score in the upper 60s with an afternoon diagnostic that simply says "monkey". 6 months of neglecting my wife and family might be for nothing in the end except doing it all over again. I know the pass rate for repeaters is low, but what is the divorce rate?

Oh well. If I recall from a coworker, last years results were released in around 45-50 days following the exam. I think he got his in late May. We shall see. I guess the ultimate decision is now do I crack open another book....or another beer?

CHECKLISTS:

(1) Exam authorization

(2) ID

(3) Books /Binders/Pages/ I have managed to collect

(4) All the energy and motivation I can find in this world

7 hours ago, BirdGrave said:

Crap, I guess I get to hope that outside of the approach distances that not much has changed between 2015 and 2018.  Or that other questions won't have the correct answer from 2018 as a wrong choice in the multiple choice selection.

Since approach boundaries have changed somewhat I searched out an online link of 2015 data.  For anyone who needs it.

https://www.powerstudies.com/sites/www.powerstudies.com/files/NFPA 70E-2015 Arc Flash and Shock Boundaries Poster_0.pdf

If someone has a more complete set of the 2015 data feel free to share.  I know I'll be appreciative :).

Found this online.

http://safety.ep.wisc.edu/wp-uploads/2017/03/36.-2015-NFPA-70E-Copy.pdf

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

Outstanding! And 10 minutes before I'm about to leave my house to drive to the hotel. Printing this now and hopping in my truck, bound for Salem OR. THANK YOU good sir!

Good luck everyone. In a hotel now within walking distance of the Houston test center, one mid-sized crate of books. Going to watch another video on Power Flow, then cartoons and an early night. Remember general exam-taking guidelines: eat wisely, stay hydrated, and don't get nervous. If you're going to fail, worrying won't fix you. Staying calm can help you pass.

7 hours ago, knight1fox3 said:

Here it is! Enjoy! And don't let this recap demoralize any of you. As bad as this particular examinee thought things were post exam, he received a passing score in the end. :thumbs:

Lol. Classic!

• Like 1

Well, I'm at my hotel in Salem, Oregon about 5 mins from the Oregon State Fair Expo building where the test is tomorrow morning. Feeling good. Been averaging about 85% on last 10 practice exams (I've now taken a total of 16 (SIXTEEN!) full 8-hr practice exams at this point) and logged in somewhere between 200-250 hrs total of study/testing time since I started in January. For win or lose, I definitely feel ready and well prepared. If I don't pass, I don't think it will be for lack of preparation that's for damn sure!

<10 hrs till I'm pencil in hand. Winding down now for bed.

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW EVERYONE!!!

1 hour ago, Surf and Snow said:

Well, I'm at my hotel in Salem, Oregon about 5 mins from the Oregon State Fair Expo building where the test is tomorrow morning. Feeling good. Been averaging about 85% on last 10 practice exams (I've now taken a total of 16 (SIXTEEN!) full 8-hr practice exams at this point) and logged in somewhere between 200-250 hrs total of study/testing time since I started in January. For win or lose, I definitely feel ready and well prepared. If I don't pass, I don't think it will be for lack of preparation that's for damn sure!

<10 hrs till I'm pencil in hand. Winding down now for bed.

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW EVERYONE!!!

16 practice exams? Is there even 16 practice exams available in the market to purchase? Or did you do some practice exams multiple times? Anyways, good luck!!!

Good luck all.   

6 hours ago, StrugglingEngineer said:

16 practice exams? Is there even 16 practice exams available in the market to purchase? Or did you do some practice exams multiple times? Anyways, good luck!!!

Yup. The exams I took were:

1x 2011 Ncees practice exam in Jan 

1x Graffeo

5x Spin Up

2x Camara/PPI practice exams

4x Complex Imaginary

1x Engineering Pro Guides full exam

.5x 45-problems in Eng Pro Guide tech study guide

1x Camara/PPI practice problems book

1x 2018 NCEES practice exam on Weds 

I’m awake.   WIDE AWAKE! Can’t remember the last time I was so awake on the first alarm. No snooze button this morning  haha Jumping in shower now. 

Good luck all! May our pencils carry us all to victory!!! :)

-Jay

Edited by Surf and Snow
  • Like 3

You know as I sit here, on what is typically my day off, at work working a scheduled outage and on 7-12's I realize how lucky I am that I'm not sitting in a testing room taking the PE and the test being overseen by a huge dick (ala Houston site).

But, hey... if you're taking it.... good luck and cheers!

Man I thought it was great, finished each half early. Had to guess on a couple in each half, and was unsure about a few of my choices, but I felt pretty strong.

xxxxx

Moderator's Note: Please do not post exam question-related content. Everyone, including yourself, signed an NDA before taking the PE exam. NCEES does monitor these boards, so for your own sake, don't post any specific exam question related material! It's that simple.

56 minutes ago, stpitman said:

xxxxxxxx

I'm about half paranoid to directly discuss any questions from the exam but I will say that's not the answer I got and I feel pretty confident in my answer for that question.

Edited by wvengineer

11 minutes ago, wvengineer said:

I'm about half paranoid to directly discuss any questions from the exam but I will say that's not the answer I got and I feel pretty confident in my answer for that question.

You are rightly half paranoid about this. Note the post you quoted has been modified and the note that was added by a moderator.

Seriously people, don't post specific information about exam questions!

• Like 1