April 2018 PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ The question doesnt specify whether its in a raceway or conduit or free air, so its stupid ambiguous as to whether to use b16 or b17. After 3 months of studying, I've found that I legitimately KNOW how to solve 90% of the problems I encounter, and the most common reason I get the rest wrong is ambiguity of the problem like giving a voltage but not saying if its line or phase voltage or not specifying if a transformer is D-Y etc... Poor wording and ambiguity are driving me mad right now!  :angry:
As far as voltages they are all given in L-L unless otherwise stated... hope that helps

I'm taking the exam in Houston as well. I just found out that I don't have a copy of NFPA-70E, so I'm not looking forward to buying one for maybe 1 question on the exam... 

Does anyone know if the exams posted on the below website correlate well to the actual test:

http://pepowerexams.com/

I just took one and got an 80%. I'm worried that it's too simple. The practice NCEES exam seemed "dumbed down" too (with exception of the electronic questions). I feel like I'm going to get slammed when I take the actual test.
You might consider borrowing a copy of NFPA 70e from the library, there is a good chance there will be more than one question on it. I was sure glad i brought it. They were easy questions since I had the book.

You might consider borrowing a copy of NFPA 70e from the library, there is a good chance there will be more than one question on it. I was sure glad i brought it. They were easy questions since I had the book.
Luckily, one of my co-workers has a PDF copy. I printed out the PDF and made a spiral booklet, so I'm good to go!

The "no scratch paper" kills me. I always use scratch paper. I like having notes about problems to return to, etc. Oh well.

Anyone taking the exam in Houston? I heard last year there were some issues with the chief proctor...
He was certainly a dick in 2016. I highly doubt that changed last year. Just my opinion...

^^^ The question doesnt specify whether its in a raceway or conduit or free air, so its stupid ambiguous as to whether to use b16 or b17. After 3 months of studying, I've found that I legitimately KNOW how to solve 90% of the problems I encounter, and the most common reason I get the rest wrong is ambiguity of the problem like giving a voltage but not saying if its line or phase voltage or not specifying if a transformer is D-Y etc... Poor wording and ambiguity are driving me mad right now!  :angry:
What I've always been told is if it doesn't tell you then you are to assume it's free air.

I'm taking the exam in Houston as well. I just found out that I don't have a copy of NFPA-70E, so I'm not looking forward to buying one for maybe 1 question on the exam... 

Does anyone know if the exams posted on the below website correlate well to the actual test:

http://pepowerexams.com/

I just took one and got an 80%. I'm worried that it's too simple. The practice NCEES exam seemed "dumbed down" too (with exception of the electronic questions). I feel like I'm going to get slammed when I take the actual test.
Yabut, one question could be the difference between green and red on your MyNCEES - best you bank this/these questions on your side of the column (just like the NESC).

Yea?  Well check out NEC 110.14 (C)(1)(b).
This question does not mention piece of equipment that we are terminating our circuit to, so this section of the code would not apply to the answer

I think that's incorrect. I think we should always "assume" worst case.
In the real world, I agree.

For the exam, the review course I took (School of PE/check local listings) said if they don't tell you then assume free air.

In the real world, I agree.

For the exam, the review course I took (School of PE/check local listings) said if they don't tell you then assume free air.
Hi TWJ PE, I'm taking the School of PE Power course as well (my last lecture video is tonight!).

May I ask, along with the School of PE notes what resources did you find most helpful during the exam?

Last edited by a moderator:
This question does not mention piece of equipment that we are terminating our circuit to, so this section of the code would not apply to the answer
No, it doesn't.   But at the same time that section of the code indicates you must use the 75 degree column unless its specifically marked to allow 90C. Basically 75C except by listed exception and as you state no exception indicated.    

The question didn' ask what the table indicates.   The question asked what the allowable  ampacity of the conductors is.

Whic is why I take offense to it.   

As far as voltages they are all given in L-L unless otherwise stated... hope that helps

What I've always been told is if it doesn't tell you then you are to assume it's free air.
Thank you both! I did not know either of these things as far as the exam. I feel like it seems unspecified and then the solutions half the time "a 69 kV 3-phase system" with no regard to whether its delta or wye and then out of nowhere the solution has it as are phase to phase wye. Or the NEC questions bounce around between conduit and free air willy-nilly. If the NCEES exam assumes LL unless specified and open air unless specified, why is this not discussed ever, anywhere, in any reference I've read? Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both! I did not know either of these things as far as the exam. I feel like it seems unspecified and then the solutions half the time "a 69 kV 3-phase system" with no regard to whether its delta or wye and then out of nowhere the solution has it as are phase to phase wye. Or the NEC questions bounce around between conduit and free air willy-nilly. If the NCEES exam assumes LL unless specified and open air unless specified, why is this not discussed ever, anywhere, in any reference I've read? Much appreciated.
Unfortunately the test assumes that you conform to industry standards that aren't really well taught in undergrad. L-L is one, another one to remember is that when using pu if an S base is not given assume 100MVA as the default S base.

These are things I was never told in school but had to learn either in grad school or in industry.

Unfortunately the test assumes that you conform to industry standards that aren't really well taught in undergrad. L-L is one, another one to remember is that when using pu if an S base is not given assume 100MVA as the default S base.

These are things I was never told in school but had to learn either in grad school or in industry.
Indeed for the most part. Though this was taught during my particular power engineering undergraduate program. Then again, a good number of the professors in the program were also PE's. That probably helped.

GOOD LUCK FOLKS!

PE Round 2 in t-minus 4 Days and counting... ready to kill it!

@BirdGrave

Well last year was hectic to say the least. Got married, working on some big projects, truck got stolen, etc.

So for this round I would say things have been more focused.

Examples:

1. Actually completed Graffeo cover to cover
  2. Completed the following practice exams

PP1 Practice exam 1 and 2
  3. New NCEES exam with new problems
  4. Kaplan Practice Exam
  5. Graffeo Practice Exam

[*]Actually went back and redid the problems I got wrong to strengthen my weaknesses.

Unlike my previous attempt it wasn't so much of a cram session as personal development. 

But, you never know what the exam could throw your way... so I continue to say my prayers, cross my fingers, knock on wood, kiss the sky, and if I could find a rabbit it'd be his unlucky day. :p

What about you?

Back