Jump to content
Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​

Recommended Posts

I've watched several videos on that $100k challenge.  A pilot and YouTuber named Wolvie6020 has completed the challenge 3 different times, and the flat-earther challenger changed the rules each time the challenge was completed.  First Wolvie proved the route using digital charts on the iPad he actually uses in the cockpit of his plane.  Flat-earther says that the challenge must be completed on a specific brand of digital chart.  Wolvie completes the challenge on the requested digital chart.  Flat-earther says that the challenge must be completed with paper charts, and adds requirement that the route must incorporate destinations "that you can actually fly to."  Wolvie had been using the north pole for simplicity sake...you could just go 5000 miles down a line of longitude, go 5000 miles around a line of latitude, then go 5000 miles up another line of longitude.  Both Wolvie and another YouTuber named MC Toon have now completed the challenge using paper charts cut-and-pasted together showing a route between non-North Pole locations.  MC Toon went a step further and actually taped the charts to a hemisphere made out of PVC to show that the route lays flat when wrapped around a sphere and doesn't work on a flat plane. 

I can only suppose that the next new requirement will be for Wolvie to actually take this idiot up in a plane and fly the route.  Even then, the flat-earther will probably just claim that the airplane's instruments have been hacked by NASA to make it appear to be flying around a sphere.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wilheldp_PE said:

I've watched several videos on that $100k challenge.  A pilot and YouTuber named Wolvie6020 has completed the challenge 3 different times, and the flat-earther challenger changed the rules each time the challenge was completed.  First Wolvie proved the route using digital charts on the iPad he actually uses in the cockpit of his plane.  Flat-earther says that the challenge must be completed on a specific brand of digital chart.  Wolvie completes the challenge on the requested digital chart.  Flat-earther says that the challenge must be completed with paper charts, and adds requirement that the route must incorporate destinations "that you can actually fly to."  Wolvie had been using the north pole for simplicity sake...you could just go 5000 miles down a line of longitude, go 5000 miles around a line of latitude, then go 5000 miles up another line of longitude.  Both Wolvie and another YouTuber named MC Toon have now completed the challenge using paper charts cut-and-pasted together showing a route between non-North Pole locations.  MC Toon went a step further and actually taped the charts to a hemisphere made out of PVC to show that the route lays flat when wrapped around a sphere and doesn't work on a flat plane. 

I can only suppose that the next new requirement will be for Wolvie to actually take this idiot up in a plane and fly the route.  Even then, the flat-earther will probably just claim that the airplane's instruments have been hacked by NASA to make it appear to be flying around a sphere.

The article I read was a shorter version of what you wrote, but did highlight the fact that the goal posts were constantly being moved and the flat earther is unlikely unwilling/unable to pay up because it would acknowledge his beliefs are wrong (heaven forbid).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is what the challenger claimed is the winning entry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 12:09 PM, Dexman PE PMP said:

Read a good article this morning about a Flat-Earth blogger who offered $100k to a pilot who could fly between 3 points using only 90 degree turns and end up in the same place they started from. He obviously had no idea that spherical triangles exist...

tripleright.jpg

I think the point was that if it was a sphere, you could do exactly this, but since (in his twisted small mind) it "isn't" it isn't possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still suspect that flat earthers are just trolls looking for attention. Nobody can be that ignorant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bot-Man said:

I still suspect that flat earthers are just trolls looking for attention. Nobody can be that ignorant. 

The guy making that challenge thinks that you're turning left if you follow the equator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Given that the only way two people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead, how on earth do these people think the word won't get out on something requiring the silence of hundreds if not thousands of people?  (@Flyer_PE)

 

Strongly disagree with this.  May be true among your peers, but not within the intelligence community.  Many people have held many secrets under penalty of death if revealed.  Some of these secrets have been revealed only after decades of silence by those who were involved.  Ex: Former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara revealed only in 1995 that the Gulf of Tonkin incident of August 1964 that supposedly provoked the U.S. into war with North Vietnam never happened.  Just another propaganda piece to fool the public.  George W. Bush later used the propaganda of "weapons of mass destruction" to lie the U.S. into war with Iraq.  A lot of lies are accepted as truth until revealed much later.   Many people are good at keeping secrets.

  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2018 at 7:54 PM, Exengineer said:

 Given that the only way two people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead, how on earth do these people think the word won't get out on something requiring the silence of hundreds if not thousands of people?  (@Flyer_PE)

 

Strongly disagree with this.  May be true among your peers, but not within the intelligence community.  Many people have held many secrets under penalty of death if revealed.  Some of these secrets have been revealed only after decades of silence by those who were involved.  Ex: Former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara revealed only in 1995 that the Gulf of Tonkin incident of August 1964 that supposedly provoked the U.S. into war with North Vietnam never happened.  Just another propaganda piece to fool the public.  George W. Bush later used the propaganda of "weapons of mass destruction" to lie the U.S. into war with Iraq.  A lot of lies are accepted as truth until revealed much later.   Many people are good at keeping secrets.

  •  

Yet we now know about it, right?  Think of the timeline involved in perpetuating the "lie" that the earth is a sphere.

Edited by Audi driver, P.E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×