Flat Earthers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone who is a flat-earther and basing that position on the Bible is mislead.  Here are two interesting (to me at least) pages regarding whether the Bible teaches the earth is flat.  They both explain that the Bible does not take a position on the flat/spherical debate.  The longer article explains the history of the misconception on the topic.

Shorter article: https://www.gotquestions.org/flat-earth-Bible.html

Longer article: https://answersingenesis.org/astronomy/earth/does-bible-teach-earth-flat/ 

Anyone who is a flat-earther and basing that position on the Bible is mislead.  Here are two interesting (to me at least) pages regarding whether the Bible teaches the earth is flat.  They both explain that the Bible does not take a position on the flat/spherical debate.  The longer article explains the history of the misconception on the topic.

Shorter article: https://www.gotquestions.org/flat-earth-Bible.html

Longer article: https://answersingenesis.org/astronomy/earth/does-bible-teach-earth-flat/ 
I would tend to disagree with you but the last thing we need is for another theist/non-theist argument on this forum.  So I won't provide defense of the Bible's repeated allusion to a flat earth (which only makes sense since that was the position held by most, if not all, people at the time of the OT and NT writings).  A flat/stationary earth is just one area where the bible is horrifically scientifically wrong. 

TIME magazine:

Rapper B.o.B. Has Started a GoFundMe Campaign to Prove That the Earth Is Flat

Rapper B.o.B., who made waves last year for tweeting that the Earth is flat, now wants your help to prove his theory.

Late last week, he started a GoFundMe campaign, Show BoB The Curve, aiming to find evidence that the planet is actually round.

"Help support B.o.B purchase and launch multiple satellites into space," reads the fundraising page's description. "He will be keeping you updated with step-by-step documentation of the process! Help B.o.B find the curve!"

Since the campaign launched on Sept. 21, 27 donors have given a total $596 to the rapper by the time of writing — he is aiming to raise $200,000 for the project.

Follow

B.o.B 

@bobatl

http://Gofundme.com/show-bob-the-Curve …

10:43 AM - Sep 21, 2017

Show BoB The Curve

What's up guys! I will be documenting each step-by-step process to send our own satellite into space. Help show B.o.B the curve!

gofundme.com

Twitter Ads info and privacy

In 2016, the rapper, whose real name is Bobby Ray Simmons, dropped a diss track on astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, after Tyson tried to convince himthat the Earth is, in fact, round.

"Neil Tyson need to loosen up his vest/ They’ll probably write that man one hell of a check," read one line from B.o.B.'s track,"Flatline."

For his part, Tyson clapped back with a scientific explanation, and dropped his mic on national television to demonstrate gravity.

The view that Planet Earth is a flat disc, as opposed to a globular-shaped spheroid, has been amplified in recent years by celebrity endorsements, reports CNN.

Apart from B.o.B., high-profile flat-Earthers include Tila Tequila, NFL player Sammy Watkins and NBA star Kyrie Irving. (However, it turns out Irving could be just trolling everyone with his professed belief in a flat Earth.)

One of the science pages I follow on Facebook shared a satire picture/article on the flat sun theory.

flat-sun-theory-bruce-iorio.jpg

Instead of all this expensive complicated satellite hogwash, how about bob finding the edge of the earth the old fashioned way like a man?  Get in a boat and keep sailing due west until you fall off the edge of the earth.  Done.  

What in the **** did I just read?!  Did I really just now spend 20 minutes reading a thread about flat earth conspiracy theorists?  Yes, yes I did.  Why?  I.  Don't.  Know.  Okay, time to go pour acid in my nostrils.  It will serve about the same purpose.

What in the **** did I just read?!  Did I really just now spend 20 minutes reading a thread about flat earth conspiracy theorists?  Yes, yes I did.  Why?  I.  Don't.  Know.  Okay, time to go pour acid in my nostrils.  It will serve about the same purpose.
e31.jpg

I think it is good to be aware that these people are amongst us. 

I'm only kidding.  I have no problem with the thread.  My attempt at humor was to poke fun at the subject of the conspiracy theory.
I was just referring to the acid in nostrils. lol

Most conspiracy theories attempt to have at least some sort of well thought-out defense for their belief that might make for a good discussion/argument topic and might make a skeptic, at least for a moment, say 'Hmmmmm'. 

But a flat earth?  What is the defense for a flat earth theory?!  How do they explain boats disappearing over the horizon?  Night and day?  Seasons?  Aerial space images?  Eclipses?  Sailing/flying around the world?  Changes in star patterns?  Observing that all other moons and planets are spherical? 

If the earth is flat, where is the edge?  Why hasn't anyone discovered or been to the edge?  What's on the other side of the flat earth?  How thick is the earth? 

Seriously, do they have even one semi-compelling argument? 

And how exactly are they going to fly satellites around the flat earth?

They orbit the same way the sun and moon do.  Apparently, the flat earth map says that Antarctica is the outer boundary.

sJddKRe.png

That's the real reason nobody's been to the edge.  Can't make it past this guy.

giphy.gif

Back