Transformer Ratios

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krummelt1

Reaction score
I feel like I might be missing something fundamental.

Take a look at this problem:

http://www.spinupexams.com/pgm-download_media.php?name=Week_2_QFTW_Question_Solution_Rev2.pdf

The ratio provided is 10:1 yet it is delta to wye. Is the ratio that is provided not the turns ratio? If it where the turns ratio wouldn't the Line to Neutral voltage be 460 and the Line to Line be 460*sqrt(3)

A similar example would be example 118 of the NCEES practice exam. It is a one line diagram with a Delta-Wye Transformer. Transformer is listed as 132-13.2. The answer for this one involves transforming the current across the transformer and is just a straight 10:1.

What am I missing?

Thanks

WEEK_2_QFTW_QUESTION_SOLUTION_REV2 (2).PDF

Attachments

• WEEK_2_QFTW_QUESTION_SOLUTION_REV2 (2).PDF
    113.4 KB · Views: 48
So am I missing something or am I right on and the problem is flawed?

I guess I understand the conventions as this: When it is a one line diagram and the voltages are provided on both sides, these are line to line voltages. If you wanted to find a turns ratio you would need to adjust by Sqrt3 accordingly. However in the spin up example above where you have the a primary voltage and the turns ratio the voltage from phase to phase is what you need to consider.

. . . .

1PC-Personalized-Metal-font-b-Autobot-b-font-Decepticons-font-b-Car-b-font-Sticker-Emblem.jpg

NCEES 118 problem: The line current in delta transformer is equal to phase current*sqrt(3). So when you apply the transformer turns ratio to calculate current on the 13.2 delta side its the phase current you are calculating (not the line current). So to obtain line current provided by generator you have to multiply the phase current by sqrt(3)

The transformer ratio is 13.2/(132/sqrt(3))= 0.1732. The phase current in 13.2 delta is 75.93/0.1732 = 438.4 A. The line current in the 13.2 delta is 438.2*sqrt(3)=759.3A.

something is not right with that spinup problem. Even the description says it a step-down tranformer. D-Y transformer is typically used as a step up transformer.

something is not right with that spinup problem. Even the description says it a step-down tranformer. D-Y transformer is typically used as a step up transformer.

Many dry type transformers for lighting panels in the 15-45kVA range are delta-wye.

This all hinges on what 10:1 means. I am with the OP that it means turns ratio for a pair of windings on the same core, then calculate what the voltage would be depending on configuration, which would mean the LL voltage is 460*sqrt(3). But given NEMA typical voltage ratings and whats in the NEC, they must mean the voltage ratio of the 3phase transformer is simply 4600V LL on delta side-460V LL on Wye side.

Spinup should give another free practice problem :)

This all hinges on what 10:1 means. I am with the OP that it means turns ratio for a pair of windings on the same core, then calculate what the voltage would be depending on configuration, which would mean the LL voltage is 460*sqrt(3). But given NEMA typical voltage ratings and whats in the NEC, they must mean the voltage ratio of the 3phase transformer is simply 4600V LL on delta side-460V LL on Wye side.

Spinup should give another free practice problem :)

What you described is inconsistent with the NCEES questions. If they give 10:1, that should mean the actual winding ratio, regardless of connection scheme. You would then need to use the connection scheme to determine the voltages and currents seen through the transformer. If they give the voltages on each side, that should be taken as is. The spinup book seems to have an error.

Virtually all of our distribution transformers are delta-wye.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a lot of distribution transformers that are delta-wye. In fact, a three phase one could be 480V-208/120V. Meaning the primary is 480V L-L and the secondary is 208V L-L or 120V L-N.

I don't think Spin-up has an error here. It's 4600V L-L on the primary with a 10:1 step-down ratio giving you 460V L-L on the secondary. The L-N would be 460/1.73=265V.

Besides, when have you ever heard of a 795V motor... that should throw a red flag that something isn't right.

I've seen a lot of distribution transformers that are delta-wye. In fact, a three phase one could be 480V-208/120V. Meaning the primary is 480V L-L and the secondary is 208V L-L or 120V L-N.

I don't think Spin-up has an error here. It's 4600V L-L on the primary with a 10:1 step-down ratio giving you 460V L-L on the secondary. The L-N would be 460/1.73=265V.

Besides, when have you ever heard of a 795V motor... that should throw a red flag that something isn't right.

The 10:1 is supposed to be turns ratio, not the voltage ratio. With that being said, the LN voltage would 460V on the secondary or 795V LL, but I'm with you that this isn't a typical voltage for motor. If this were a question from school, I would've said 795V and put a note for the TA/teacher that the question is confusing. It's all about understanding the concept for the NCEES exam anyways.

The 10:1 is supposed to be turns ratio, not the voltage ratio. With that being said, the LN voltage would 460V on the secondary or 795V LL, but I'm with you that this isn't a typical voltage for motor. If this were a question from school, I would've said 795V and put a note for the TA/teacher that the question is confusing. It's all about understanding the concept for the NCEES exam anyways.
+1

Agreed... 10:1 is the turns ratio... so given the transformer equation Vp/Vs = N1/N2 ====> 4600/Vs = 10/1 Solve for Vs = 460V. That's the L-L voltage on the secondary.

Agreed... 10:1 is the turns ratio... so given the transformer equation Vp/Vs = N1/N2 ====> 4600/Vs = 10/1 Solve for Vs = 460V. That's the L-L voltage on the secondary.
Not on a delta-wye transformer. It would be 795V LL

As zcore has said, not for a delta-wye transformer. The voltage across one phase of the high voltage side is 4600, and it is connected in delta already. The voltage across the corresponding low voltage winding is 460V, but 460V is the voltage from LN. The LL voltage would be 795V.

As zcore has said, not for a delta-wye transformer. The voltage across one phase of the high voltage side is 4600, and it is connected in delta already. The voltage across the corresponding low voltage winding is 460V, but 460V is the voltage from LN. The LL voltage would be 795V.

This would work with a Wye-Wye(w/o buried delta) and a Delta-Delta. Or a single phase transformer.

I don't see the error on that Spinup question either. Kovz solution is correct.

The turns/winding ratio of the transformer is equal to the voltage ratio. The connection schemes of the transformer changes/remain the phase of the voltage.

Back